Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

No restriction after 1 week of L5S1 Back Surgery

Hey, I had a lumbar back surgery on April 19 and only restriction I was put on was no lifting more than 5 pounds. After my 1 week of follow up I did my xrays and follow up my neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon said I have no restrictions is that normal or is my neurosurgeon being nice?
I do get minor pain such as pain in my knee and butt and still feel tingling in my nerves. But after I take my pain medication and rest it's gone.
So is my neurosurgeon being nice or is there actually people on here that have no restrictions after 1 week of back surgery as well?

I noticed people on here have restriction such as no bending, lifting, or twisting after 6 weeks of surgery.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Hello FrankyEdwards

welcome to spine-health

You don't say what type of surgery but this link should help.  I suggest you follow  restriction rule better to be on the safe side.

https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/lumbar-spine-surgery

learn how to use spine-health - take the system tutorial 

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • FrankyEdwards

To start with I am not a doctor, but I have had several surgeries, discetomy and fusion, I am assuming you had a discetomy, after mine I was always told no bending, lifting or twisting for 6 weeks, was instructed to wear a back brace for 4 weeks, although surgeons differ on that, if it were me at this point, I would be very careful with the BLT rule and what I picked up.

I have posted a link below that may be helpful

recovery, the most important phase - patience required

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 356

I agree with Chip. No restrictions after only 1 week sounds rather unusual!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,528

No restrictions to me sounds like a recipe for potential disaster

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I had a laminectomy at the same level after 6 weeks they told me no restrictions but I don't even believe that myself. Bending is still difficult and I generally do I squat if I've dropped something on the floor. I go back to work in another week and in my heart I'm 100% ready but my brain tells me otherwise. 

My pt told me most likely the surgeon told me no restrictions because I am a very practical patient and I seem like the type that takes things with a grain of salt so he can tell me that and I won't overdo it like a lot of people will. 

• advertisement
advertisement