Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

    Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Foraminatomy after ADR

I am about 2 years out from a two level ADR.  I had excellent results until about January of this year.   X rays show some pretty serious foraminal stenosis on those levels.  One looks severe, a big mountain osteophyte right in the middle of the foraminal canal.  

Symptoms - shoulder pain on one side, forearm pain on both sides.  Some hand pain.  Pain is steady and gets unbearable.

Has anyone else had this happen?  

Can they do a foraminatomy after ADR?

advertisement

Comments

  • BRONCOFANBBRONCOFAN Posts: 102
    edited 05/08/2019 - 8:24 PM

    Hi Darcy,

    Only a surgeon is going to be able to answer that one definitively... I had a failed ADR at the same levels you have them - but mine failed right from the start with severe neck pain / facet syndrome.  Did a quick google search and found some information that seems to indicate this might be possible in some cases, but again really would take a surgeon to review the MRI specifics.. 

    If for some reason a foraminotomy won’t work, I will tell you that my ADR to ACDF conversion was not bad at all.  They  popped the devices out (what type did you have?  Mine were Mobi-Cs), clear out all that bone, and convert to a standard ACDF.  I lost almost no ROM with my C5-7 ACDF.  Hope they don’t have to do that, just want to set your mind at ease that the problem is fixable one way or another!

    Kevin

  • Thank you Kevin!  I have Mobi-C ADR as well.  I think the ADR is ok.  I have had a lot of relief from the neck pain.  

    The hard part is waiting a month for my neurosurgeon appointment.  I could see in the x ray an oseophyte that looked like a mountain taking up 2/3 of the foraminal nerve canal.  When I saw that -- the pain and muscle control issues made a lot more sense.  

  • advertisement
  • Darcy,

    I agree with you - if you are having mostly arm pain the nerve impingement is the problem, and your ADR would be fine I think... I had intolerable neck pain immediately after surgery that never went away and so I had the revision.  Interestingly I’ve read that most people who have facet syndrome from an ADR have it start soon after surgery, so you are probably in the clear.

    Based on what you’ve noted, I would sure think a foraminotomy should be possible.

    Good luck - does the NS have a call back / cancellation list where you might be able to get in sooner?

    Kevin

  • Hi Kevin,

    The NS mentioned that right after surgery it's normal to have some pain in the arms, as moving the neck vertebrae can irritate nerves after surgery.  I can see that this could also be the sign that something did not go as planned during the ADR.  My doc explained that some of the pain I dealt with is because of the way they strapped me to the table with my arms/shoulders behind me so they can  get a good x ray view during surgery.  Hmmm... Ooooo Kaaayyy.......

    This is definitely a new problem that is progressing.  I honestly thought it was a rotator cuff tear or something at first.

    I am on the high priority cancellation list. I think about asking my primary care doc for an MRI to speed up the process, but with my luck he will need some special view, contrast etc and I will have to pay for two.  

    Until then, I'm hanging in there.  I asked the primary for some pain meds so I can get occasional relief when it's unbearable.  I was trying to manage without but I was really hurting.  

    -Darcy

     

  • Darcy,

    Probably wise to wait... or possibly you could ask the NS office if they could order the MRI ahead of your appointment, or at least verify for your primary what they want in the MRI?  It would sure be nice for him to review whatever new films he needs at your appt, rather than having to order them.   The one issue I read about in that regards is since the devices are metal, they can cause some distortion on the MRI films in the area right around the device.  So he might want contrast, or if he's convinced it's a bony problem he might prefer a CT... who knows!  

    Hang in there - hope the meds give you some relief and you are able to get this all resolved ASAP!

    Kevin

  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.