Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How many hours a day do you spend thinking about your issues?

How many?

10 minutes 

An hour

All day?

Or do you de focus and force some mental hygene into your daily think?

William Garza
Spine-Health Mod
erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

advertisement

Comments

• Great question William... I can't answer it very well, because what does it mean to "think about your issues".  When my disc first failed, the answer was clearly all day, focused thinking, evaluating each pain for clues... 

Post surgery, I work, play with the kids, plan for the future, try to exercise... So I'm trying, but still the chronic pain is always there.  What would it mean to not think about it?  I do get lost in a task sometimes and it's blocked out for awhile.  Most of the time I can relegate it to the background, and I don't spend time worrying every time it gets a little worse.  

But still the answer has to be most of the time, not because I want to think about it, but because it's constantly asking for my attention - In a way, that's what pain is... and getting more serious, I think that's why chronic pain is so tough - it's a request from your body to your mind to focus on something we can't do anything about.  

Focusing on things you can't do anything about is not healthy at all.  For most of us, it's easy to stop thinking about politics, work problems, even people problems and do something else.  But imagine how unhealthy it would be to have someone constantly show you a picture of your least favorite politician over and over and over again, all day every day... the challenge with chronic pain, as you note, it to find ways to refocus off that image and get some mental hygiene in the process!

Kevin

• Great question as usual, but I’ll say very little time do I actually think of it, yes, I know it’s there but I refuse to let it completely control my life. Instead I keep my mind occupied with the things I can still do. I’ve watched close friends become their worst enemies sitting around living in their pain. Life is to short to let it control you....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • David,

From what I can tell, you are the absolute best I’ve ever seen at this... I recognize the “own worst enemy” comment - here I am, able to travel, jog a few miles without pain, work my regular job, and my neck doesn’t prevent me from doing anything.  And sitill I probably spend 30-60 minutes a day wondering whether surgery was the right thing to do, would I feel better or worse if I had waited longer, blah, blah, blah.  It’s completely pointless, worse than a waste of time and energy, and still I do it every single day!  

Kevin

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,528

I really dont spend any time each day thinking about it.   The only time I know about it is when I try to do something that I have more trouble doing this year then I did last year

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • DavidGDDavidG Posts: 929
    edited 05/11/2019 - 10:23 AM

Kevin, my personality changed years ago. I used to be a complete type A personality but has slightly changed. I will never say that I didn’t go through the same emotions as most have but I’ve learned to not worry about things I can’t change , or let my emotions or pain control my life. That I refuse to do! ( I’m stubborn lol )  Do I have pain? Of course. Everyday 24/7 Some days fair, some days not so fair Yes my life changed with my injury! That’s a understatement! I lost my career over this injury which hurt! But after I got through the depression I started looking at Life in a different way. We are all given so many days here and I will not waste a single one of them being controlled or held back or becoming cynical due to this. Life is way to short my friend!  I want to spend my remaining days happy, without worrying about what I can never change.. Kevin, Does sitting there asking yourself “should I have had this surgery make you feel better or worse? I’m truly impressed you can still jog and work! And I say that out of 100% pure honesty. I wish that I could still work! and not for the financial gain. Just to be able to see and talk with others is a blessing! Kevin, your still in the Anger stage which is 100% normal. Once you finally hit the acceptance stage, your eyes will open and you will see life in a whole new way! Keep me posted, I’ve always enjoyed our conversations.....David

DavidG

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,399

I do not think about it, unless I move the wrong way. Even then it's like, ok, that hurt and move on. I cannot imagine what rabbit hole I would go down if all I thought about all day is being in pain.

Kevin, I know what it's like to go through the constant worrying, especially about the "what if's".  I just got a new diagnosis which wasn't good. We both cried and talked, got it out of my system and life goes on. Next to my husband and family, this forum is my biggest supporter. 

William has a way of pulling things out of us and making us really think.
    Thank you William

Sandra
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • When ever i open a bottled drink  i think about how much time i have left until my hands are too weak to do that..were about halfway there.

When i turn at nite on my pillow..i wonder if this time will the one where i herniate,re injure or just plain blow out another disc.

When i walk across wet surfaces and ready myself to fall

But other than that? Not too awfully much.i got better things to do than worry about given things

Variables like slips and falls can be mitigated by mindfulness.

I rather live with the constants...

Pains gonna be there

Its gonna hurt to get up

Dont eat cheeze..the strain is too much on the old back...

James Taylor is an under rated artist 

McDonalds burgers are gone be tiny....forever

But they are better  than white castles itty bitty iterations....

Canon cameras are better than Nikon

Dont eat Jalapeno poppers before bed

Squirrels are cool..otters are more-er cute

A warm fuzzy kitten in hand is better than all the peekaboo kitty videos on the computor

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

•  It is only human nature to at times focus on certain things.

I was blessed in a sense to witness true strength first hand and often use that as a tool to help me deal with my own health problems. Having loved and lived with someone battling advanced cancer has taught me so much.

I have had a couple members wonder why when chatting with me I dont go on and on about myself and my pain and problems..yes lately I've been somewhat more vocal about things I've been threw but that was more or less just to put them out there so others will know my story. I've even told these members I'm not one to discuss my pain all the time it's how I've learned to deal with it. Does it mean mine is any less..no but I'd rather focus on other things and by doing that it helps me both mentally and physically. 

Broncofan as I said we all question at times if only thing were different or if we did something different would our outcome still be the same..its only normal...that not the same as being totally self absorbed and in a cycle of non stop thoughts. That is never a good thing.

• That IS a hard question, I don't think about my pain directly unless it's so intense it demands my attention and then I have to find ways of distraction. I do find myself thinking about how doing this or that will affect my pain. I'm in an acute phase right now so yesterday I had to decide whether walking around the garden center was going to be more physiologically beneficial than how it would affect me physically. I did, it was worth it, the beauty lifted me above my pain for awhile. 

I just came through about a month of the lowest pain levels I've had in a long time, it was great! I was so thankful and praised God every day but last Sunday when I wasn't thinking about my pain, I twisted wrong and it came back to bite me hard, it can sneak up on me like that. So in that way, I have to be vigilant about my pain but I don't spend every moment worrying that I might move wrong. Some days I struggle with my limitations but I don't allow myself to dwell there. Acceptance, gratitude, doing what I can, loving God and family and friends, those are the  keys for me. But how much time do I spend each day thinking about my pain, honestly, it depends on the day. 

One of my favorite hymns says it well

"Day by day, and with each passing moment, Strength I find to meet my trials here; Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment, I’ve no cause for worry or for fear. He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure, Gives unto each day what He deems best, Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure, Mingling toil with peace and rest."

• Joanne2, Well said!

DavidG

advertisement