Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Cramps coming again and again

Hey guys..I m 22 yrs old,just started job as junior software engineer....My back is paining alot since quite few days..Doctor advised its due to continous sitting at one place,as i m not habited it?But i dont feel so...Can anyone pls tell what can be other problem?I mean i m quite scared now..Bcoz 22 yrs is definitely not the age of severe back pain

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,726

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Eric, back pain and or spasms are not just for old folks lol. But yes at 22 you need to be checked out. There is a new trend called text neck due to texting as well as leaning over a comp all day. After your seen and talk with your MD about this, see about getting a stand up work area ( they actually have comp desk that can raise and lower ) Your 22 now, if you wait another 35-40 years leaned over a desk  all day, then yes, you will be one of us old people with sore backs lol. Please keep us posted my young friend...David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434
    edited 06/20/2019 - 2:23 PM

@Eric78

For so long it was always thought that the rough outdoor physical jobs were the ones that were going to wear down the spine.

I think by now we know that might have been incorrect.  In fact those type of jobs, the people doing them were generally in better overall shape that the desk job workers.

I spent 35 years with IBM, about 28 of them in software, so I spent hours and hours every day on the computer.   And this was before emphasis was put on the workstation environment.     I was part of a task force in the late 1980's to come up with the perfect workstation.  My role was working with a physical therapist and furniture designer to come up with the perfect chair.

It took care of lumbar, thoracic, and cervical concerns.  Had all sorts of adjustments, to raise and lower the chair, arm rests that could move and rotate.  The first prototype came in at $3,500.   It was the ugliest  and I mean ugliest chair you have ever seen.  Bright orange fabric to boot.   I used it for 3 months and noticed that it really did not help!   No matter what adjustments or comfort levels the chair could be, the human body was not made to sit in a chair and use a computer over 8 hours a day!

My summary and recommendation to the task force was that NO Chair will make a person less prone to spinal problems, but that FREQUENT BREAKS  (every 50 minutes or so) really was the answer.    Get up, stretch, walk around and wait at least 10 minutes before going back to the workstation.   We even set up software alarms on everyone's workstations that went off at 55 minutes.

At first many people balked at this idea.  That it would take away from the productivity of the people, if they had to take these breaks every hour.   We monitored this for 6 months.   One group of programmers doing what they always did, long hours on the computer, even with a good chair.   The others took the recommended breaks.    The group that didnt take the breaks had a higher level of out of work time.

Bottom line, computer work and any desk work can cause havoc to your spine.   Treat it well by taking frequent breaks.

Oh, by the way, the chair I worked on was last seen in a basement storage unit in Poughkeepsie, NY

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • BRONCOFANBBRONCOFAN Posts: 130
    edited 05/11/2019 - 3:52 PM

Ron,

There's no doubt in my mind... bad workstation posture, never taking breaks when working, reading my kindle while looking straight down for hours on end, and other neck abusing practices are the reason my cervical spine aged years ahead of it's time!  It's not just that the C5-6 disc was destroyed, it's also the case that ligaments get stretched too much, muscles become imbalanced, you name it.  Now I have a standing workstation now and that helps tremendously with my remaining neck issues.  30 minutes up, 20 minutes sitting, 10 minutes walking around.  

Eric - There's good advice here... Have you asked your doctor about treatment options?  Sometimes physical therapy can be very helpful  if your doctor thinks it appropriate.. core strengthening can do quite a lot of good for many back conditions!

Kevin

advertisement