Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

flexion teardrop C3 fracture and then some

Hi Everyone,

Two weeks ago I injured myself diving to catch my son from falling off the couch and hit my head on a beam. 

My head hit the beam at just the right angle to cause all sorts of issues in my neck - a flexion teardrop fracture on my C3 vertebrae, torn ligaments and various damage from C2-C5.

I ended up in the hospital a few hours after the injury, stabilized with a collar then C2-C5 fusion surgery the next day. I was very lucky to not have any neuro issues. The surgery went well and I was released from hospital after a couple of days.

I'm following all of the instructions from my surgeon and his team and landed here as I was looking for others online that have been through similar experiences. 

Here's a bit on where I'm at with recovery:

Staples are out. Next appt in 4 more weeks for xray and meeting with surgeon.
Walking around 2 miles a day. (official physical therapy will start 2 weeks from now)
I'm working 2-4 hours a day when I can - some from bed, couch, maybe 1 hour at the desk.
I'm currently researching ideas for better ergonomics with sleeping, sitting, working, etc.  adjustable beds, recliners, office chairs, etc. 

As I've been reading through the site I've found some really interesting threads on all of this and just wanted to say thanks for sharing. If anyone has any specific threads I should not miss, please share links. 

Thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 918

I've had fusions in my cervical area, including a fusion at C3/C4, but not the torn ligaments you had.  Torn ligaments and tendons often take very long to heal because of the limited blood supply to them.  I hope you can find someone on the site that has had similar torn ligaments cervical injury, but I expect those cases are very limited.  I do wish you a healing recovery.

• ginfizz

welcome to spine-health

learn how to use spine-health - take the system tutorial 

I am glad that you seem to be doing so well after such a serious injury and have no permanent issues, like Nutcase said ligaments and tendons take time to heal.
    I had C4-C7 fusion surgery, but did not have any tendon or ligament issues, once you start physical therapy, your therapist should be able to help you with that.
    I have posted a link below that should be helpful

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • Ginfizz

Good to hear your doing so well after your surgery

Like nutcase and challenger I too have had my fair share of cervical neck surgeries.  3 so far in total . 2 were anterior and 1 was posterior.  I am fused from c4-7.  Unfortunately I'm inline for yet another soon. It will be to extend it both above and below so once that's done I'll be fused c3-t1. 

But again this is about you and your recovery which seems from what your saying is doing very well. Please continue to update us on how your doing.  :)