Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ongoing leg pain after discectomy

Comments

• I understand the depression part it is hard to avoid but try to not let it get to you. (easy to say) I deal with it daily not being able to do half the stuff i used to do is never easy to get over. You have to remember that if you let depression take over you stop trying to get better. Even if you don't feel that you are getting better you have to fight it and try to stay in charge of yourself. Being depressed cause you are hurting is normal it doesn't hurt to accept it and try to do something that makes you feel happy. (watching a movie or going to a good dinner or just chatting with friends) Hiding it doesn't help either if you want you can always msg me i'll talk with ya about it. Are you doing pt or anything? Have you tried acupunture or massage therapy? Also are they giving you any medication to help the pain. I have been on glucosamine/chondroitin its takes awhile but it has knocked it down a bit (my job is rather physical so the muscles are usually tight at the end of the day)

Im not a dr or medically trained in any way always ask a dr or pt before making any changes to your treatments. Best of luck Roll
  • I had a disceptomy in April last year & at first it went well.
    But two weeks after surgery I ended up with swelling in the wound area and was rushed back via Ambulance they said there was no infection but think that maybe I was allergic to the stitches and had had a reaction to them, I know I am allergic to latex.
    About a week after the swelling started I stood up gently to go to the toilet and felt a burst/burning feeling on my right side. At the front of my hip area.

After 3 cortisone injections, 2 in the bursa and 1 in my hip joint, for what they thought was bursitis.
    6/7 months later my Osteopath suggested that it wasn't bursitis that it was nerve damage from the two lower discs (the ones they had operated on) the nerves that run from these discs through my gluts and leg feel like there on fire. This burning sensation subsides from time to time but keeps reoccurring & increases with movement.

And due to not being able to walk for 7/9 months after surgery I feel my back has gotten worse.

I am in constant pain which increases with movement and day to day activities, by the afternoon I'm usually on my back as I am unable to sit, stand or walk for longer then 30 mins at a time.
    It has been over a year since surgery and I still haven't gotten a clear idea from my treaters as to what it could be but this pain is worse then before the surgery, I take Lyrica and this helps sometimes. If anyone has any suggestion that may help me I would appreciate it.
  • advertisement
  • i am 60 years old, undergone endoscopic disectomy@ L4-L5 level and 3 sittings of transforminal epidural injections 2 before E/D surgery and one after , done phisio therapy 2 weeks dr. prescribe GABAPIN NT, ULTRACET,KYRAB AN LYRICA for one month, this is done in INDIA. please help.
  • DNDDN Posts: 2
    edited 04/12/2014 - 6:57 PM
    This comment is generally for people experiencing sciatica soon after surgery. I blew the disc at S1-L5 about three years ago and had surgery. I blew L4-L5 recently and am 5 weeks post surgery. After the first surgery, my sciatica and numbness never returned. However, after this second surgery my deep hip pain and numbness returned about 5-7 days post surgery. I thought for sure I had re-ruptured and was extremely depressed and distraught. After a week I was feeling pretty good so I did some light exercising (I'm a bit of a fitness nut) against doctors orders. The pain started after that. Now it's 4 weeks later and the pain is almost completely gone. I think there was inflammation and nerve damage causing the pain, probably exacerbated by being too active. My advice is to take ibuprofen, ice frequently, rest a lot (laying down), walk as directed, and follow the doctors orders. It takes time. My sympathy to all of you who have had it harder than I have. Good luck.
  • Hi all. I've just had my lumbar Discectomy two weeks ago.
    My pain now is so much worse than what it was before my operation and I feel as if it is worsening.
    Following the op I had numbness down my right leg and foot.
    Then it went away and I had pain starting in my foot and moving up my calf.
    Now the pain has spread all up my leg and it is so intense.
    I'm beginning to get nauseas when it gets too much to handle.
    I've also noticed as of the last three mornings that my left ankle/foot gets
    Severe aching pain when I first wake up.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I be doing any specific exercises?
    Could I be eating anything to help minimise the nausea?
    Are there any positions I could be lying/sitting in to try avoid the intense pain?

Any advice welcome!
    I'm absolutely desperate!
  • advertisement
  • Hi Mena- I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much pain. I am awaiting a consult with neurosurgeon the day after tomorrow. I have been dealing with this for over a year and a half now & have tried every conservative tx available, from PT & chiro to ESI (x5) & rhizotomy (x2). A friend of mine, who is a neurosurgeon (out of state) reviewed my latest MRI (ordered due to significant increase in pain & new symptoms) & has said that I will def need a microdiscectomy for a "huge herniation that is absolutely crushing the left sciatic nerve." I've been trying to avoid surgery, but I can't any longer. I cannot be bed bound or I would, as I have a young child to take care of & I have to continue to work to pay the bills. I have to use a cane & when I first get out of bed or, often, when I go from sitting to standing, the pain is so bad, I can only barely slide my left foot in order to move. I had been sleeping on my side with 1 pillow btwn my knees or on my back with 1 pillow under my knees. When first morning pain became so severe that I couldn't move, a friend suggested a change in sleeping position. I now sleep on my back only, with a pillow under my lower back & 2 pillows under my knees. This has helped with the severe pain upon getting out of bed. I still have to roll to my side (on my good leg) to get out of bed, as if anything touches the back of my left buttock or thigh, it triggers an episode of horrible pain, where it feels like the nerve itself goes into spasm. Maybe you could try this position & see if it helps. Normally, I do not change position at all in my sleep (when I get any), but this morning I woke to find I had turned on my side & when I got up, I had that horrific pain again, where I could barely get up. This tells me that the change in my sleeping position, as I described to you, has been of some help to me. Good luck & let us know how you are getting on.
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • www.spine-health.com/treatment/...surgery/postoperative-care-lumbar- microdiscectomy-surgery
  • Hi,

Can someone tell me if the original person who posted on this topic has fully recovered from his injury being that this was in 2008??
  • I see this is an old thread... Any updates?
    Suzy
  • How are you? I have the same questions you gave:

(((Does anyone have any advice? Should I be doing any specific exercises?
    Could I be eating anything to help minimise the nausea?
    Are there any positions I could be lying/sitting in to try avoid the intense pain?

Any advice welcome!
    I'm absolutely desperate!)))
    Suzy
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.