Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

CDC are now stating their " Guidelines" are not being used appropriate really?

So first off not sure if I am going out of the rules (not trying to bash promise) and want Ron to edit if needed and let me know.
I get notified when the CDC puts out something new so this morning I got notified of information they put out.
Not to my surprise since the FDA warning regarding doctor's being careful about stopping or cutting back on opioid treatment is causing harm to those using them or needing them. The CDC is now running fast to make sure their "guidelines" are covered. We never intended them to be used this way. No one can tell me that if it were not for the FDA they would not be going in this direction. I have an e-mail response from them way back when stating they did not do the follow-up yet to what may come of the "guidelines". Why not that should of been a number one priority with them and was a huge mistake. I am not a smart person but knew when I read those "guidelines" there would be trouble.
Do you think their information and the FDA gets to all those who are out to make life miserable for those who need pain medication? Of course there are those who are truly ignorant and don't have a clue what the real world is about.
I cannot give out their web-site but I am sure if interested you can find it to read the details and some other things that hopefully will happen.
You know I respect all of you and my heart breaks for those who hurt more for having their meds cut or taken away but can we not go into that here.
 I just wanted to make everyone aware of what is going on today, give some more hope and praying this from them will help change things soon. 
Sherri

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472

Sherry

Thank you so much for posting the above information. To me,  it does give hope to chronic pain patients. 

Anyone responding here, please do as she asked "those who hurt more for having their meds cut or taken away, but can we not go into that here".

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi Sandra
    Thanks that is all I am trying to do is give hope. It will be a blessing if these kind of steps by the CDC and the FDA have a positive impact on what is happening. 
    Sherri

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,587

Sherri,

This is a good post.   I do hope its the start of something that will be helpful too all people who are suffering and have not been able to get their medications

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hope,  Thank you so much for posting this info.  It is a great beginning.  It seems to me that if the CDC felt it was necessary to say these things, they are feeling the pressure from Doctors, chronic pain patients and organizations who work on our behalf.  It's certainly a step in the right direction. 

We will have to give it time and see what happens.

Cindy

• Hi Cindy,

Yes, the CDC is backtracking, but unfortunately, they are not nor is the media going to any great extent to publicize the backtracking.  I've collected articles across the US where some outlets have spoken of the change.  USA Today came right out and said "doctors misinterpreted the 90 MME".  They straight up blamed it on the doctors when federal regulators were the ones tracking prescriptions and filing litigation against pain management physicians.

Whether or not the CDC realizes it or not, they just shot the drug company liability cases in the butt.  This change shows that Opioids ARE effective (like we have all said they were) and that doctor's are encouraged to "speak to their patients about tapering, but if the patient doesn't feel it's a good idea, don't".  I firmly believe the CDC is covering their backsides due to the number of adverse reactions and suicide deaths attributed to the original guidelines.

We need to spread the word as much as we can about the change!  Many people are suffering needlessly because they and their doctor's are not aware of the guideline changes.

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • Keith,  It doesn't surprise me one bit that the media is only interested in the negative.  I guess I am hoping that with time, the good ones will try to get the word out.  And you are so right that we need to do all we can. 

How can they blame the doctors for misinterpreting the guidelines when so many good, caring doctors were prosecuted and lost everything just trying to do right by their patients.

It really blew my mind when these organizations started the, "opioids don't really work, but cause pain and if you take a patient off of them he will do much better."  Most of us having tried everything out there know that's not true. 

I sure hope we will see some big changes soon.  Thanks Keith for the info.

Cindy

Cindy,

Like you I find it crazy for the CDC to blame doctors for misinterpreting the guidelines.

The better doctors never had a problem making sure that their patients received what they needed.

It was (to me) the doctors who were a bit unsure , didnt want to take the risk, didnt want to do the work was were so many patients suffered.

Hopefully, we will begin to see the tide turning.     It may take a while, but heading in the right direction is so important.

• Ron 
    I appreciate that so much you know me I am passionate about this whole subject and it is hard for me not to cross lines sometimes. 

Sandra
    Thank you too and yes I don't want this post to be one of who have had their meds taken away etc. This is about posting information etc. that could have positive changes. Give hope to those who are suffering. Of course it will take time for us to see changes but I feel this is huge coming from the FDA and the CDC. 

Cindy
    I agree I do feel this is a turn if we think about it things started with those CDC guidelines so of course them back tracking is positive. It will take time no doubt and I am not sure what or who changed their minds that would be interesting. Yes we all have a responsibility to do our part by contacting those in the Media, government leaders etc. I have thought gosh am I wasting these stamps and time by sending copies of information I come across to them maybe but I don't care. Maybe just maybe one of them will get sick and tired of the letters and e-mails and read them. This week I have put together 43 letters I am sending to doctors, pharmacy's, my government officials, police departments and hospitals. One hospital here bragged about how they had cut their opioid use by 40%. It cracks me up that at first the CDC would kind of respond to my e-mails but now all I get is a generic if any response from them so hopefully they are getting flooded.  :D It makes me feel like I am doing something at least not just sitting here fuming all day over it.
    The doctor who prescribes my pain medication said " it is tough for those who are in pain to fight those in power. They don't have the health, money etc to go against that kind of money". But they can be educated and do their part so they have nothing to nail us on". He is right we are not in a position to make a huge dent but every voice adds up. I wonder some times how many of those who could just complain but never contact anyone. 

Hi Keith
    You are dead on with everything you said and I am always grateful for information you bring here. There is alot of information out there about this very subject. I spent as many hours as I can going through a bunch of it.  I will look up that USA today message for sure thanks for that info. It is like you said unfortunate the media etc. is not broadcasting or others taking steps yet but I remain positive that it will in time have a impact. 
    Yes what it all boils down to is they caused a lot of pain/damage for those who needed relief, doctors who were doing their jobs, family's the list goes on. Sad thing is they won't ever be held accountable either. They should be because the back tracking they are doing now just confirms they did not do their work and they are flat out admitting it. They are a organization who is supposed to protect people from harm not create it. 
     A good doctor knows who needs pain meds. and does the work to make sure his patient is following rules, doing the work, documented health problems etc. 
    I didn't think of the effect on drug companies liability cases that totally makes sense. 
    Any impact those "guidelines" had on lighting a fire under the law enforcement DEA etc. to seek out those pill mills, doctors who prescribe wrong etc. is great but they should of been doing that anyway its their job.
    When I hear a person say their doctor no longer will prescribe because of the CDC "guidelines" or DEA laws  well that doctor should not be prescribing pain meds in the first place as far as I am concerned. 

So now that I have rambled on just want to say lets keep posting any information we can about positive changes. Anything to give hope to those who need it is wonderful to me. 
    Have a good day everyone
    Sherri

• Hope,  Just keep sending your info.  You never know when just the right person may see it.  Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.  

Again, how can the CDC say the doctors misinterpreted the guidelines.  If that were the truth why didn't they start contacting the doctors to say you misunderstood instead of let me see your patient files and here's a subpeona.

I am glad that they closed the pill mills but that was accomplished years ago and then it morphed into persecuting doctors trying to do the right thing.

Also you are right, I too have seen hospitals bragging about drastically cutting opioid use.  To me that is ridiculous!  While there are drug seekers that frequent the ER, there are a whole lot of legitimate people who have to be in bad pain to even think about going there.  I would rather see a few seekers get  them, then to leave anybody legitimately in pain.  I mean they have the PDMP they can check and see every drug you have filled and as long as they aren't giving out a months supply of anything, they should be able to make an informed decision.

I have seen hospitals bragging about using far less opioids after surgeries as well.  Why in the world would a Doctor decide it was a good idea to limit opioids to a person in post surgical pain?  They are already limiting take home meds post surgery.  I read the other day that some states decided a person doesn't generally need more than 2 days worth.  You can't say that because it will vary from patient to patient.  

Sorry for the rant that was not my intention.  It just hurts my heart to think about how many people have suffered because of these so called guidelines.

Thank you again Hope for all that you are doing.

Cindy

Cindy and Hope and Keith,

It is good to start seeing a change.  It like the cycle of life.   We are starting (slowly) coming back full circle.  It just is important we never get back to those drug mills.   Its so important that the proper dosages of opioids are given to those people that really need them.

Regarding post surgical/hospital stays and the days of opioids.   When I had my L2-L5 Laminectomy in 2016, the doctor prescribed 60 days of 4 Oxycodone IR 5mg.    When I had my meniscus surgery in 2018, my doctor provided me with 14 days of the same medication.

I have a friend who just had a Laminectomy (2019) and they were given only 5 days of the same medication!

Now, surgery is getting easier that would make post surgical recovery less painful?   I dont think so

advertisement