Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Strained ligament in hip?

I've been having a problem with pain in my lower back/ hip and groin on and off for four years. It may or may not have started when I tried to stand with no support whilst sitting on a sea wall (beach was a 10 foot drop). Eventually got up by rolling onto all fours after losing power and sensation in my right leg. Carried on walking, no pain. Some tingling in my foot the following day but didn't see a doctor as  seemed OK.

A few weeks later went on a longish walk and was in nearly in tears due to pain in my hip and groin. Had to carry on walking.to the car. Saw a doctor who suggested a self referral to a physio (NHS)  To cut a long story short, did physio for my hip Then different doc thought it was bursitis so used cool packs. Another thought disc pressing on nerve Did physio for my back. Didn't really work so I now still have pain when walking any kind of distance (on a good day 2 miles, on a bad day a quarter of a mile) Hip X ray and MRI were normal ( some age related  degeneration in back as expected, I'm 59 but no nerve impingement)

I'm not confident to do longer walks with friends as I've tried taking Ibuprofen before the pain and it doesn't work. I have no pain on resting and am able to potter about and do day to day things when the hip hasn't flared This is putting me off exercise as the pain when it is there is unmanageable and unpredictable

Saw the physio today who suggested continuing the strength exercises and cutting some of the stretches which I added.  He thinks it may a strained ligament in my hip but would have thought it would have healed by now.Had to stop for a couple of days as the I'm about to get bad pain got worse. I'm far less flexible on my right side ie find putting a sock on and  a piriformis stretch crossing my right knee outwards and pulling towards my chest  hard.

Wondering if  anyone has a similar problem

advertisement

Comments