Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Dependant on pain meds

Hopefully I won't get judged here like some other places do. I'm tired of being on meds enough let alone having people looking down on me .I have been on oxycodone for almost two years now, and I am now completely dependant on it whoch frustrates me. Right now I'm in an immense amount of pain and also sick because someone stole some of my meds so I've been out a few days. my pain Dr seems to not be bothered by the lack of treatment we have done. He basically just prescribes the meds then sends me on my way, the only thing he referred me to was injections once . I had to go out on my own accord to talk to a back surgeon when the pain meds stopped working .he never ordered anything tests like an EMG until I went to the back surgeon and even then it was my surgeon who did it. I have done everything imaginable to help this pain before I got on the meds. Set up by myself calling the Dr or my PCP calling and setting it up . Pt, tens unit, chiropractor, massage, exercise, weight loss, ice/heat, and other stuff I can't even think of right now. 

I am just wondering if anyone else has been on this position where you want off the meds but youre in too much pain and dependant on them to really stop. My pain is still there even with the meds but is helped at least that's where my problem comes in is that the surgery helped one side but my other side still hurts so badly that I have to take meds . Thanks for reading .

advertisement

Comments

• I understand completely. My doc told me once that there is a huge difference between being addicted and dependent on pain medication.  I was on some type of pain prescription for almost 15 years. In WI people are being taken off pain meds, it doesn't matter if you are in stage 4 cancer or spine pain. I started doing NET and that really helped. Currently I am no longer taking prescription pain medication but am on a low dose form of naltrexone. My pain doc said that in low dose form it has been found to help many symptoms including pain. I hope you feel better. 

• What is NET?

• advertisement
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 947

VeronicaHC - Has your back surgeon given you a diagnosis to explain your pain?  Maybe you deserve a 2nd opinion.  

For the last 22 years, I've been on opioids most of the time.  This past November, my pain got so bad that I could not find any opioid or level of opioid that would do anything for me.  Since November, I slowly tapered off all opioids, am now using an old anti-depressant, using a little gabapentin and sleeping pills to get me to sleep at night.  All of these meds are being managed by a pain management doctor.

I am currently working with doctors at a regional teaching spine hospital to try to determine the cause of my intense spine pain and also will be going into testing to attempt to determine if a spinal cord stimulator might be a pain management solution for me.
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 377

I too would like to be able to stop taking pain medicine but that is not reality for me. There are options to oral pain medicine - has your pain doctor mentioned a spinal cord stimulator or a pain pump? I agree there is a huge difference between addiction and dependence. IMO, being dependent on pain medicine is nothing to be ashamed of. Pain medicine can provide us with some quality of life. Good luck, Jerome

• neuro emotional technique 

At first I thought it was some type of psychology based pile of garbage BUT then I did a little research and I am glad I decided to keep doing it.  It is considered a body/mind therapy. The website explains it alot better than I can. In WI there are only a couple people that do it but you can find practitioners on the website if interested.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,473

Veronica

You will never be judged here. Almost everyone here is or has been on pain meds so we know how you feel.

What mellissawi describes is somewhat similar to my psychologist teaching me mindful thinking. It is how to cope and tolerate the pain. I have a pain pump but still have some amount of pain, at times worse than others.  I do not want to keep increasing the doses so I'm trying to find that level of pain I can live with. When the pain starts spiking I tell myself it will not get worse, just give it a little time and it will level off. It is a balance between listening to your body and your mind.

When you are not a candidate for surgery and you are out of all options, then you have to depend on yourself.
    Take care.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you all so much for the responses I feel relieved to not get jumped on like o have before. My surgeon said that when he did surgery my herniated disc wasncomplewas  calcified and hard and that is explains what's wrong on the left side among other things the right side I'm not sure because he hasn't done surgery there hopefully something will come of my second surgery and hopefully that will help with things as well . My MRIs aren't showing alotato explain things. We  shall see in another couple months . I will look into NET maybe my therapist knows of it not sure. My pain Dr doesn't really seem too concerned on getting me onto anything else including a spinal stimulator. But j would like to look into that option as well . I'm not sure what will happen I feel as though if I try to say my pain is still bad he thinks I just want pain meds even tho I've literally asked for back surgery on my own to try and rectify things or at least help . 

• DavidGDDavidG Posts: 1,024
    edited 06/18/2019 - 9:38 AM

Veronica, I am truly impressed by your complete honesty!  And the most important things is it’s easier to deal with when you know you have a problem with it. Please talk with your MD and share this information with him/her so they will be able to guide you. Please keep us posted on how your doing!......David

DavidG

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,473
    edited 06/18/2019 - 9:39 AM

Veronica

I had been asking for a MRI for a few months. I knew I was hurting and should not have been. I pushed for it and got it. More than I wanted to hear from the results but it was a big "I told you I was hurting". In saying this, you have to advocate for yourself. Speak up until they listen. 

I keep a journal of when my pain spikes, what I was doing, how bad it was, what worked to relieve it some and what didn't. I take this with me when I go see my PM doctor. It helps him put the puzzle together. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Sandra
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement