Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spasms

rhw62rrhw62 Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm just curious to find out if anyone else with neck problems ever had to deal with muscle twitching in the arms and also having the whole back spasm up. These are new symptoms for me. I have never had these symptoms even prior to my first surgery. Muscle relaxing meds have not helped. This is almost more annoying then the pain.
advertisement

Comments

• Have you discussed this with your doc to see if maybe a different type of muscle relaxer might help?
  • I have tried 2 different relaxers and all they do is put me to sleep; they don't stop the twitching. I only have 2 weeks left before surgery and my pre-op visit is in a week so I will just deal with it.
  • advertisement
  • i seen doc two weeks ago for this, no muscle relaxers work for me. i also get cramping in foot and in toes that happen around same time as spasms and twitching, so im pretty sure they go together,well doc gave me klonopin(prescribed for anxiety most of the time )but doc told me sum people get help with muscle spasm from it. well he was right, but it makes me very sleepy, so i actually cut the pill in fours and take a fourth a pill and a whole one at night. no more spasms, twitching,cramping- and i think they even have helped with headaches
  • I will get the twitching from the nerve being compressed. So if you are having surgery in 2 weeks, hopefully that should go away.

Some people also get nerve compression from muscle tension or spasm, which can also cause twitching.

That's why the first reaction that I've seen is to try different muscle relaxers generally.

Best of luck with your surgery.

"C"
  • hi
    i suffer spasms in my back, they are so painfull. when this happens i cant move side to side or even bend. these can last up to 30 minutes. the longest spasm lasted two days. i have bad cramps in both legs. the doctor prescribed quinine . just to let you know your not alone. hope to see you in chat room.

angie
  • advertisement
  • Right after my accident I started with the leg jumping. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. When my right arm started twitching I talked to my doc who referred me to the neurologist. I looked like I had Parkinsons at times.

Thr first surgery took away the twitching in the arm for the most part. I still get it when I'm over tired or have done too much with my arm (it doesn't take much). I came out of surgery with terrible spasms though and they didn't resolve until I had the second surgery. Apparently my cervical spine was misaligned- go figure.

I don't tolerate muscle relaxants well and am allergic to several but I can take Diazapam (Valium). A low dose keeps me at a good level and keeps the spasms down.

Good luck with your disc replacement. I'm looking forward to the day that it can be done on multiple levels! Too late for me but I know others will be happy LOL

Griff
  • I get the muscle twitching in my arms all of the time. Got it before surgery and still after. Haven't found a muscle relaxant yet that gets rid of it....have tried Skelaxin, Robaxin, Valium, Klonopin and Flexeril. IF you find one, let me know.
  • I hope that after surgery they will stop. Being a paramedic for awhile I do know that Valium will work but I'm the type that hates meds especially if it is long term. Myself, I'd rather be in pain then to take medication; don't want to get addicted to any either. Thanks for all the responses.
  • Soma helped me. It took away the pain and it has a sedative in it so it will make you sleepy...I'm on Amrix now. It is suppose to be extended release, cause I was tired of Soma only working two hours (I was only taking half a pill 3 to 4 times a day). Amrix worked but I'm thinking of changing since it cost so much.

If you can get a cervical heating pad , that helps too.
  • I'm with you on the meds. Unfortunately they're a necessary evil sometimes. I don't take the diazapam regularly, only when things get really bad.

The thing that has helped me the most is regular massage. I started going 2-3 times a week in the beginning, after the first ACDF, and, after my second surgery, I've found that a couple of times a month is enough to keep my muscles in shape. I still get the spasms but they're not the 24/7 ones that I had before. I credit the second surgeon for more properly aligning my cervical spine and, of course, the massage therapist.

I agree with the cervical heating too. It did wonders in the winter but it's too blasted hot now to use them!

Good luck to you and your poor, aching muscles!

Griff

advertisement