Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Like a smelly onion

The more you peel it back the more it stinks.

I'm not coping well.

Inside, I'm boiling. With pain...neuropathic disturbances I would challenge a taser against it makes me weak in the knees.

My GP is expecting her 2nd kid.  She's leaving. She doesn't care if I cry when I have seen her.  I had only what I'll call a nervous breakdown in October when I wasn't sleeping.  I cried every day. (This is now, sadly, how I measure life quality). But above that my gait was wonky. She called it a flare. I went to emerge three times,  2 neurologists, 2 EMGs and 2 MRIs then a 4 day wait in emerge for the surgery. It was another level of my spine I know what a flare is. I had such little sleep or support.

Sleep is key.   I get more now.  Zopiclone. 7.5mg.  

The pain is less than before surgery.  My husband asked and I said it was better.  People don't want to talk about it.  It makes me more comfortable not saying,  but it drives a wedge because I'm not my honest self.  I'm in actual agony.  If I didn't have children I'd die kind of pain. Just one level below writhing.  Since the surgery let's say it's been easier for him to sleep in the yard for all I care it's awful.   Before surgery he and I fought constantly.   He pushed me about disability.   He said I was nuts and may hurt the children...dont hurt the children....  I'm lucky I could stand.

I'd just spent the doctor's visit with him.  Me writhing in sobbing hysteria.  Those 2 looking at me like I'm a sideshow to the carnival.  I do know I am losing my mind so I need someone to help.  

I was a full time working mother of 2 who'd come home and garden on evenings and weekends.  I love the gym and the outdoors.  I used to love my husband too.  I can't remember when I loved him. I can't remember a day without pain.  It's like I'm disconnected from life by pain.

To be honest, avoidance is my go to right now. I need a big smack of therapy but even typing this it's hard to find real courage in finding my true self.  I'm simply not believed or I'm judged.  I think those 2 things are the same....I don't have the strength to fight people who can't see me.  

I only see my kids.  I know they need a warrior. They know.   They see it all.  They have compassion. I don't think my husband was allowed to have feelings, especially negative ones.  Idk.  I'm just bone weary.  What do I know I just have a broken back and limp.  I spend alot of.time on that and not with him. We didn't have much to go on before my injury.Raising kids and working full time sucked the fun out of life for me.  I've been permanently exhausted since 2006.  I consider every day I'm breathing to be a gift but a tired one.

advertisement

Comments

• Spiny, for what it’s worth, your not alone! You now have hundreds of friends that share the isolation you feel. They feel the pain you describe, they know what your going through. What we don’t realize at first, is at times, we put ourselves in isolation because our spouses don’t understand. They can’t!  It’s only when you’ve been through a procedure then only can you understand. Yes, they can be sympathetic but no they don’t understand. I’m a strong advocate for presurgical  therapy. The rate for depression following any spinal surgery is above 80% and yes I was one of those 80 percenters. You might think about talking to a therapist as part of your treatment. It might help in seeing things in a different light. Please keep us posted!....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Quit being so self centered

Quit feeling sorry for yourself

Quit whining

Its always..me...me.....me

What do people expect of us?.were broken,some wont be fixed

Some of us cant get the peices to fit together again  no matter how hard and long we try.

We can no longer be who we were..and we live knowing this and have to deal with this 24-7...but the demands are still there from others

Most look away as we are a reminder of what life can do

Others are simply non empathetic,we are worth-less in their eyes because we dont contribute to their ends anymore

Others burn out and back away because the"cant handle"

We cry too much

We should not be in this much pain...yet they font see its more than physical pain thats eating away at us

The mental and emotional pain ride along as unwelcome passengers of the physical

We cry because it hurts and no one has an answer

We cry because no one has an anwer and we have to face that every day

Grotesque lines of pain mar out faces,our minds and our souls and they turn away because we are an ugly truth

So we carry our selves,these bags of skin and broken bones,sinew and flesh and make our way in hell

And we stand defiant while scared and angry and sad

We find our own strength in solitude where no one can see the struggle it takes to get there

We carry on day after day because it is not habit nor law

We carry on from one tiny victory to the next

Sometimes its just getting another breath

And we find our courage in the dark places where courage counts the most

Courage in the light is easy

Courage in fear and pain is the hard one

Fabricating courage from nothing is the hardest of all

Because there is nothing to build it from,so we drag it from our flesh and bone 

We plant it deep and water it with tears and it blooms in adversity,bears the fruit of toil and sustains us with bitter resolve 

But we survive.

Hang in there Spiney 

On breath

One day at a time 

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,473

Spiney

I'm so glad you wrote what you did, maybe it helped, like you said, just to type it. But I also understand what you are going through. And being here, you will not be judged and will be believed.

Pain is ugly, brings the worst out of anyone at times. David put it in a good way, sometimes we isolate ourselves. When asked how I feel, I say fine, when I'm not. Then I get upset because no ones knows or understands. Have you ever read the "Christine's Spoon theory"? The link is below. I have done this to so many people to try and make them understand.
    christine's the spoon theory

I am one of the lucky ones that has a husband that is supportive and understanding. He also knows when it is time to go see my psychologist. My back is trash, scoliosis is taking over, I can't do the things I love to do and miss. Like working in my yard and going places and making quilts. But I try to make the best of what I can do. 

Read William's poems, all of them. They are all very thought provoking and always come when you need them. At least for me it does.
    Take care.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Spiney, you certainly struck a nerve with me, no pun intended. I'm going through a dark time too. The worst for me is that I have times where I have hope and am able to function, at least do a few things, but then the bottom falls out and I lose hope again. I swear once again that I won't grab unto the easier times but I do. It just makes the crashes worse but it's human nature I guess. For me it can change from day to day, nerve pain is so unpredictable and mean. So like William said, I try to carry on from one tiny victory to the next in the dark times. 

I do have support and a few people who understand (and a lot on this forum !) but sometimes I foolishly push them away for awhile. It seems that I need to travel alone for a time but I always come back, I have to. I lift up my head and see how much I have to be thankful for and slowly open myself up again. I have to or something inside me dies. I don't want to be closed off and bitter but pain will do that to me if I let it. So I won't! I've had to force myself to go to my counselor lately but I'm always glad I did. I'll be praying for you, for some light and hope to seep into the darkness. Don't give up, there are so many here that will support and encourage you if you let us. I'm talking to myself here too and just trying to encourage you has encouraged me! It works that way. Please keep writing, it's therapy. Shalom 

advertisement