Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Post-Op Must Haves

Comments

• I am new to this site and I am having my 3rd and hopefully final back surgery on March 2, 2009 L5-S1 fusion I think this list is very beneficial to anyone having back surgery and I know that I will be using alot of the items listed. Thanks again.
  • Hi Kin,

I noticed that you have had an L3-S1 fusion with instrumentation. It that a four level fusion? I am scheduled to have a four level PLIF in a couple of weeks with Pedicle screws. How have you done since the surgery? How long after surgery were you able to resume fairly normal activity? What is your pain level like now and how long after surgery did it take to get to that level? Thanks for any input you can give me!

terried
    Panama City Beach, FL
  • advertisement
  • Hi, I'm very new here. Just got finished reading your list of things to get pre-opt. I haven't had any back surgery yet. I'm praying I can hold out till I die.

I, too, have a body that is very sensitive to meds. I can no longer tolerate tylenol (very upset stomach) or ibuprofens (terribly nauseous).

Right now am suffering daily with sciatica. got an MRI but haven't yet gone back to the neuro surgeon for his opinion. Been to physcial therapy but didn't do well cause I wasn't able to tolerate the pain afterwards...couldn't take anti inflammatories to relieve the pain/swelling.

May I ask what did you take after your operation...after you got home?? Oh, forgot to mention, can't take steriods...alergic.

Jan
  • first of all... thanks to all of you who have posted on this site. the info you have shared has helped me sooooo much. i'd like to return the favor with a few small things that i have discovered.

1. cutting off the toe end of a sock and putting it over the velcro portion of your soft neck brace will stop the velcro from pulling on your long hair.

2. when trying to wean off the soft collar, wear it just a little looser every day. i'm doing this by pinning a tiny safety pin on the collar where the strap ends and moving it a little bit each morning.

3. when beginning to drive, do it after dark the 1st few times. turning my head to check for oncoming traffic at intersections is often painful. you don't have to rotate your head as far to see a car with headlights on.
  • One thing to add is to put away your pride and ask friends for meals.

It was super nice to have people drop off food everyday for me and more importantly for my caretaker - my husband Matt!

Let them know you may not be able to greet them and spend time until the 2nd week but food would be welcomed.

By the 2nd week I had to tell friends and church members to stop because our fridge was packed and our freezer too! We had great meals and I now will be quick to return the favor.

Good luck!

PS - The satin sheets and/or PJs... very important!!
    ** AND baby monitor

====================================================

Post Microdiscectomy patient (Jan 26, 2009) and doing great!
  • advertisement
  • Thank-you for all the helpful advice. Here in N.Z. have been fighting to get surgery approval for work accident treatment for lower back injury and pain.
    Will get decision tomorrow if approved or looking at personally paying for surgery.
    Surgery proposed is-L4/S1 fusion,excision of right transverse process of L5 on the right with a TLIF and cage at L4/5. A posterolateral fusion with instrumentation was also recommended. I must confess it confuses and scares me the terminology, the comments posted have helped me so much to be prepared for surgery. Have been so focussed on dealing with the pain and trying other treatments to regain my mobility.The list of must-haves after surgery was a bit of a surprise to me, in my ignorance I thought my life would just return to "normal"-thank-you for opening my eyes to reality. Now I can prepare a plan which will ensure a more positive outcome for both my family and myself.

Thanks
  • I always meant to add this, but always forget. When I went to rehab after my fusion, the OT told me to use a terry cloth robe right after my shower, and by the time I dry off parts I can reach, the rest of me will be dry also. Wonderful advise, after 10 months I still use it, although now I am able to do anything. I thought I pass it on.

Kin
  • Thank you for compiling the list. I am going have husband buy many of the food items listed, so I can take care of myself when he returns to work. Fantastic!!!
  • Thank you to those who wrote this list. I am having surgery (PLIF or TLIF or both) April 16th and this list is a Godsend!!

One question...(I know, right? How can I have questions over something so simple?? LOL).

I know everyone's different, but just so I get an idea...I'm supposed to be in the hospital for 5 days. Will I still need the soft foods when I get home or should I be OK by then? (Not OK as in running around, I mean OK as in able to eat solid foods). :)

Thanks again!

Jen
  • winkie said:
    Thank-you for all the helpful advice. Here in N.Z. have been fighting to get surgery approval for work accident treatment for lower back injury and pain.
    Will get decision tomorrow if approved or looking at personally paying for surgery.
    Surgery proposed is-L4/S1 fusion,excision of right transverse process of L5 on the right with a TLIF and cage at L4/5. A posterolateral fusion with instrumentation was also recommended. I must confess it confuses and scares me the terminology, the comments posted have helped me so much to be prepared for surgery. Have been so focussed on dealing with the pain and trying other treatments to regain my mobility.The list of must-haves after surgery was a bit of a surprise to me, in my ignorance I thought my life would just return to "normal"-thank-you for opening my eyes to reality. Now I can prepare a plan which will ensure a more positive outcome for both my family and myself.

Thanks
    If it was a work accident than that work place should pay like mine did here in GA, USA.

I worked at kroger and hurt my back lifing up heaving boxes and herinated 2 of my disc then later on in the month I herinated the other one so now I have 3 that are herinated and I'm not paying penny! I fell at work so they are going to pay.

The Store Manager sent off my accident report a week later hoping I would come back to work, they thought I was playing around when I hurt my back! I was out of work for a month and half then later in November I went back doing light duties and a year passed and I later quit due to the store mananger making trouble with me.

I got a lawyer and we are suing kroger company and their insurance company. He should have sent off the report ASAP and get medical attention to me. I learned the hard way, I should had gotten an lawyer when I got hurt. Its not fun I tell you that! Now everything has to go through the lawyer and through the adjustor to approve anything now and it has taken longer than before I had gotten a lawyer. But anyway he is wonderful and tells me everything that is going on, when I don't hear from him within a month or so....

Have a bless weekend,
    Misty
advertisement