Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-Op Must Haves

advertisement

Comments

• winkie said:
    Thank-you for all the helpful advice. Here in N.Z. have been fighting to get surgery approval for work accident treatment for lower back injury and pain.
    Will get decision tomorrow if approved or looking at personally paying for surgery.
    Surgery proposed is-L4/S1 fusion,excision of right transverse process of L5 on the right with a TLIF and cage at L4/5. A posterolateral fusion with instrumentation was also recommended. I must confess it confuses and scares me the terminology, the comments posted have helped me so much to be prepared for surgery. Have been so focussed on dealing with the pain and trying other treatments to regain my mobility.The list of must-haves after surgery was a bit of a surprise to me, in my ignorance I thought my life would just return to "normal"-thank-you for opening my eyes to reality. Now I can prepare a plan which will ensure a more positive outcome for both my family and myself.

Thanks
    If it was a work accident than that work place should pay like mine did here in GA, USA.

I worked at kroger and hurt my back lifing up heaving boxes and herinated 2 of my disc then later on in the month I herinated the other one so now I have 3 that are herinated and I'm not paying penny! I fell at work so they are going to pay.

The Store Manager sent off my accident report a week later hoping I would come back to work, they thought I was playing around when I hurt my back! I was out of work for a month and half then later in November I went back doing light duties and a year passed and I later quit due to the store mananger making trouble with me.

I got a lawyer and we are suing kroger company and their insurance company. He should have sent off the report ASAP and get medical attention to me. I learned the hard way, I should had gotten an lawyer when I got hurt. Its not fun I tell you that! Now everything has to go through the lawyer and through the adjustor to approve anything now and it has taken longer than before I had gotten a lawyer. But anyway he is wonderful and tells me everything that is going on, when I don't hear from him within a month or so....

Have a bless weekend,
    Misty
  • Having TILF w/instrumentation on 25th so freakin scared I am 39, have a 16 yr old, am married it has put a strain on us! Love all of the info took a little to narrow down what I have and what I needed! Everyone is so helpful and knowledgable. Waiting for a good outcome. God Bless all of us!!!!!!!!!! Kellie
  • advertisement
  • I did like that I had some soft foods (stuff to make smoothies)at home.

Mostly because my stomach was really hating having to take pain medications. The soft foods were easy on my stomach and nutritious.

Also, one other reason to stick to soft foods - constipation! Have a stockpile of graham crackers or prunes or prune juice - those pain meds are notorious for backing you up.

Best of luck - to both you and Harleybabii
  • Thanks for this list! I was making my own, and I'm glad to see I had most of the bases covered. But, as I suspected, I was missing a few things that might ease my recovery. I also have one addition for you...
    After my first microdiscectomy (2003, L5-S1), the hospital sent me home with small plastic sheets that adhered to my back and covered my incision (3-sides of it anyway) so I could shower, albeit carefully. Since they only gave me a couple, I relied on pre-moistened cleansing cloths (unscented baby wipes work too) to bathe the first week. I'm preparing for a repeat discectomy 4/6. I found that Johnson & Johnson makes a waterproof pad about 3" by 4" specifically for surgical incisions (available at any drugstore). After a couple days of using cleansing cloths, a shower sure will feel good, and if these bandages work, I can feel a little more confident about showering and not getting the incision wet. Keeping my fingers crossed that my surgeon won't need to slice me up too much so I can use these!
  • My sis found me a bed table at Walgreen's for $14.99 that's great for my laptop. Part of the top angles up so you don't have to look down at the screen (there is a ridge that keeps laptop in place)& the keyboard is at a good height. I didn't use the legs until the past few days...I just put it on top of some pillows in my lap. The brand is "Home Elements" & it's called "Multipurpose adjustable tray".
  • advertisement
  • I just joined this forum to thank the person who wrote that wonderful list at the top. I've used it to make my shopping list and so on. I'm having a ACDF (allograft) on May 11 for C5-6 and 6-7 herniations. Been dealing with alternatives to surgery for over a year (tried pretty much everything except acupuncture--chiro, neck hanging, ESI, TPI, and a load of anti-inflammatories), and it's just getting too painful + loss of strength and motor function. Anyway, great list, and thank you for sharing it. I am absolutely terrified because I had a terrible experience with gall bladder surgery 5 years ago, and have avoided hospitals avidly since then (major panic attacks). But--this has to be done if I'm to continue making a living and being a good mom and wife without the constant pain and dropping everything I pick up. The staff has been really helpful and patient thus far with my panic.

I have one quick question. My surgeon is using an allograft + plate. He's also "squirting" some of my bone marrow over the allograft. Anyone ever had this part done? It is NOT my bone--just a few cc's of marrow. I've not been able to find anything about this. Surgery is at a highly rated teaching hospital, so I am wondering if this is something new.

Thanks, and good wishes to all,

DC
  • Welcome Graiae & thanks Newfie :)

I too ended up using a laptop tray - a gift while I was in the hospital - and WOW, it was wonderful to have :)

I have to modestly add that although I'm the 'poster' of this awesome list, it's only by default - when the site moved I had just recieved the list for my upcoming surgery - I just happened to be the person who had a copy when it was needed for the new site :)

I do love checking on all the new recommendations and tips! Keep them coming everyone =D>

• Yes, thank you Amy. I'm having my surgery next week. I'm not really nervous, I just want to get it over with and start the healing process.

Besides the obvious use of this list--I've taken many notes!--there's another thing I got out of it: be prepared. While this sounds trite, your list points out, recovery won't likely be a cakewalk. It's a subtle reality check!
  • I hear you on the pain med issue!

You should post in the regular forum to get more replies - but here is what I did...

I was givenpain meds in the hospital. I threw up - a lot. After several days and some trial and error, I was taking 1/3 dosage of Roxicodone with an anti-nausea med to help out.

After I got home I reduced what I was taking even further. Pain is a lot easier for me to handle than nausea.

I did eventually take some muscle relaxants when some of the spasms were bad.

It's something I prefer to forget - the pain, the nausea, the fear - and so I am not doing good at remembering things - but the thing I recommend the MOST - TALK to your Dr. about it - there are things they can do to help.

Best of luck
  • Three days post-op, and I'm doing great. Thanks again for posting this great list. It helped a lot! I recommend you add a mirror of things to take to the hospital and to have as you sit around.

The buttons to adjust the bed were located on the bed rails by my shoulder. I couldn't see them! Since the modern thing is buttons are flat, I couldn't figure it out, despite my husband's coaching. With a mirror, I could have found the buttons. And finding things on the bed table would have been easier too.

Sitting around, the mirror is nice to use to find things by my side.

Thank again for a great list.

advertisement