Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-Op Must Haves

advertisement

Comments

• Come to think of it, I had a mirror in the hospital as well! Wasn't up to any TV watching though.

I did get a magnet buddy as a gift while I was there - a little plush animal with magnetic hands and feet. He worked so great to hold my nurse call button (a critically essential item) onto the bedrail - that button box slid under my bed so many times! And I was NOT about to go crawling down there to get it either!
  • thank for this important list that Amy (saltzworks)put togetehr, this information is now available for everyone via FAQ.
  • advertisement
  • I apologige if I didn't quite read it all. but qet satin fitted bottom sheets. They help so much in turning! I remember my first night home from rehab and ( Oh My God! ) how was I suppose to move, let alone roll over! ( I live lone) Well that bottom sheet made all the difference, along with a bed rail. Just have to be careful as, the sheet can be slippery getting out of bed. Don't bother with a top sheet, as all your linens wil be on the floor in the am! Try it==it really helps
  • My surgery date is coming up and I have to decide whether I want the interbody fusion or fusion with rods. I am afraid and not sure that the rods will find a home in my body. But I cannot take the pain anymore!!

As for the list I copied it and am going to print it, use it!! I have had back surgery before but there are so many things I forgot! I liked the terry towel idea after the bath - what the simple things do to help us.

Thanks for all who compiled and added to it!

I wish I found this site sooner! to hear the real life stories instead of studies, surgeon's opinions of those without actual experience etc.
  • I personally would have liked to have been warned about all of the squatting and lunging that I would be doing. It's inevitable that you'll have to get down below waist level for some things and my legs hurt so bad from the squatting and lunging that I could barely walk a week after surgery. So, practice ahead of time if your legs are not already in great working order!
  • advertisement
  • Thank you for this great list. I have at least six months before surgery if that is what I decide so I have more than enough time to gather the items I need from this list.

Thanks
  • Or... satin PJ's work as well as satin sheets - or so I found out anyway :)

Angel - that kind of sucks -the lunging and squatting - I do remember having to do a lot of that.
  • Thanks for this great list - I am schedule for the PLIF and XLIF with decompression in 4 weeks. Scared silly!
    They will put the interbody cage with pedicle screws at L4-5.
    How long till I can be productive? I am 55 years young and otherwise healthy.
    Any encouragement here would be helpful!!
  • Just had L4-5 microdiscetomy on Monday and the list was invaluable. Covered everything and much more with one exception, if I may suggest. I may have missed this on the list but Earplugs for sleeping would have made a big difference. I shared a room and my roomate was either coughing or had his IV monitor alarm ringing all night, mine also rang occasionally. I certainly sympathize but could have used a handy pair of earplugs / cotton balls. To my surprise, the hospital didn't provide cotton balls as loose balls are not sterile, makes sense but didn't make me happy at 2am.
  • Earplugs!! Wow, not something I thought of - even if you are in a room by yourself - those nurses can be noisy. There are many employee discussions I overheard when I probably should have been sleeping!
advertisement