Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-Op Must Haves

Comments

• Thanks for posting this list. Being the nerd I am, I cut and paste the list into a spreadsheet and I'm carrying it with me this week so as I am still able to be out and about I can pick things up and check the item off my list.

I really am thankful for the list, ideas and suggestions. I thought I was prepared for all of this but I was clearly not as ready as I thought, but I'm on my way!

Thanks!
  • I had my surgery approx. 4 we :) for nothing.

I do have a warning for those who have weight issues, watch the chocolate/lolly basket for the nurses, if you're going to do this one, either give it to the nurses to put on their desk, or put it out of reach so you can't munch on them.

I ate more than the nurses did unfortunately.

Oops! :) X( :))(
  • advertisement
  • hee, hee - I had several printouts myself that I carried, crossed off and planned with!! LOL!

I definitely OVER-prepared. It does help with the peace of mind though :)
  • Immyali - EXCELLENT post!

Love the laminated tags for the bags - sheesh, I need to do that now - we are always forgetting something!

I agree on accepting help when it's offered, wonderful advice. You DO have to care for yourself and part of that is letting go and letting others help.
  • I was talking to another spiny about how to prepare when you have a young family so I thought i'd share.

The secret to surviving post surgery is preparation. I have a 4 yr old and 5 yr old girl plus hubby. Here are just a few of the things I did pre-surgery.

1. Prepared the kids- i talked to them non-stop about what mummy would be like after her operation, I encouraged/forced them to learn to dress themselves, pour their own drinks, help each other do things, get their own snacks etc. I rearranged the cupboards so that they could reach the snacks, their own cups/plates/cutlery, created smaller milk and juice bottles as the big 3 litre ones are too heavy for them to poor for themselves, so now my hubby just has to remember to fill the smaller one's up and the girls can do it themselves. I rearranged their wardrobes so that they could get their own clothes ready for the day.
    I introduced a scheme where they each had a little book where at the end of the day we would sit down and decide how many stamps they deserved for the day ie. one stamp for getting themselves dressed, one stamp for helping daddy get dinner ready etc, these stamps translated to 50 cents per stamp, we just had our first shopping trip the other day and they were both able to buy their own toys with their "stamps". The scheme really works they're behaviour improved out of sight, they really try hard to help and when they are playing up I just threaten to take stamps away and they would move mountains to prevent that from happening.

Okay kids taken care of

2. Hubby/helpers- I wrote out an extensive step by step program/routine/requirements of what happens with the kids day by day week by week, make sure you include what's needed for school/day care, any extra curricular activities like swimming. I found it easiest to start from when they got up to when they went to bed and included what happens post bed ie. nappy/toileting requirements. I included food preferences, meals they liked, any little quirks they had or nick names for things.
    I then made bags for each thing they did for my two this consisted of a school bag for the 5 yr old, a day care bag for the 4 yr old, swim bag for each and ballet bag combined for both. On the bags I made a tag and wrote what needed to be in each bag (I laminated it). I also made a snack bag which consisted of the girls favourite snack foods (also tagged for easy top up) this snack bag just went into whichever bag was being used at the time either swim or ballet or going out.

3. Pre-freeze any meals you can. In my case it was easy, my husband loves home made pies, so I just made stroganoff, bolognese and chicken pot pies in bulk and froze them. He's been living off these pretty much.

4. Make sure you accept any help that's been offered. I was able to drive two weeks post surgery but i've had a couple of days where I Haven't been up to it and I haven't hesitated in calling in the troups. Normally I wouldn't, pride wouldn't let me and I hate to intrude on people, but I looked at it as an investment. If I do the right thing now and rest when needed, then chances are my recovery will go smoothly and my family will have a whole me back. Also if I didn't ask for help from others then it stresses hubby out and we can't afford for him to fall apart now can we!

This is pretty much the essentials of what I did, I hope this helps someone else
  • advertisement
  • My surgery is not planned yet, i go back in October to the Dr, with the CT Scan results along with the MRI, I have spondylolysis, and herniated disk, L5 L4.Pain and pins and needles down both legs and bad pain in my right lumber so bad i want to scream, He told me i would need a fusion, i must say im so scared, I have had 9 surgerys on my knee, finally in 2005. had hardwear put in i dont have a knee cap but the rest is metal, and have not looked back but the pain after the surgery was very badk and im so afraid of going thru this. Anyway i have the list and have already started to plan, the surgery will be in December. Thanks for all the posts. Josie
  • There is not a single person on this board who was not scared prior to surgery....but before you know it, you will be a veteran, and will be on here dispensing advice to others. ;)

You've found "the list" so it will get your head going in the direction of what you may need post-surgery. Pick and choose what seems reasonable to you. Be sure to get a grabber if you don't already have one. They are handy to have even if one isn't impaired with back problems!!

Also if you can stand the pain, try to keep walking right up to your surgery date. Also, the stronger your abs, the easier it will be for you in recovery.

Please feel free to post with your comments and questions. Lots of us have already been down your path and have lived to share our experiences!! Start a new thread with your question -- that way more people will see and respond to it.

Again, welcome.
    Gwennie
  • This is just what I needed, great list.
  • HI Marcia,
    How have you felt since your surgery? I am a CNA whom got hurt after repositioning a patient as well. I did undergo ACDF on July 27 as well as you and feel worse than before my surgery.Perhaps it is too soon to recover, I don't know.
    Could you tell me a bit about your recovery period and how you have gradually adjusted it to it?
    Thank You.
    Best regards.
  • Something else that I didn't think of before, but found invaluable afterward. I kept a small notepad next to me the first few days and recorded times and meds taken. That way, even if you're a bit groggy from one thing or another, you have a bit of insurance that you won't overmedicate yourself. I thought of this during a moment of panic, when I thought I might have doubled up on my painkillers, I had to have my hubby help me count them before I was too loopy to remember what I was doing LOL!
advertisement