Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-Op Must Haves

Comments

• Kat - you are exactly right! I loved having my notebook there next to me - for meds, notes when my nurse would give me instructions and more :)
  • I too have really benefited from this list. I've been going over it and over it and checking things off as I get them accomplished. I had forgotten so much from my fusions 8 years ago. I think I blanked it out because some of it was so tough.

Today I woke up and the first thing that came to my mind, was that I was one day closer. How did two weeks go by this fast? I'm cleaning and scrubbing everything and making my back hurt worse. I know I won't be able to do it for a long time and want to come home to a clean house. I just want to be as prepared as I can be so I won't be a burden on my people. I know they all want to help and I'm going to let them but I'm just so used to doing my things myself. I hope I don't need a walker. I hope I don't need a thing on my toilet that sits up higher. I forgot how long until I can get a bath. I'm just all scared again. Tears keep coming to my eyes when I think of it all. I'm overwhelmed today. I am going to go outside and sit in the sunlight. That will help.
    thank you for listening.
    Sincerely,
    S.
  • advertisement
  • S - you will do fine - and, it's perfectly natural to have the fluctuating emotions before your surgery!

I remember the cleaning and getting ready phase - I kept thinking that no matter how much my back hurt now, it was going to be so much worse in a few days. Sorry, probably should not have said that to you right now.

But, I do fully believe that being prepared for the worst surely makes the whole process afterwards easier. Nothing was as bad as my imagination. I actually felt really good after my surgery - comparatively.

Best of luck
  • Thank you for the list!!! I was so busy cooking and freezing for everyone and forgot about what I will need. I am going in for two level spinal fusion on 11/18 and honestly I feel clueless as to what to expect. My bedroom is on the 2nd floor so is it best to stay on the first floor and just do the stairs to go to bed or is that unrealistic? I am not sure what my abilities or lack of will be post op. Any insite would be greatly appreciated. Love this site!! Thanks for all the great info so far!!!
  • This list is great. I am scheduled for surgery 11/16/09. This has been so helpful in many ways. Helping preparedness and keep me busy so I don't have so much time to get paniced about the procedure.
    Thanks again :)
  • advertisement
  • Sheilee - my bedroom was also upstairs. I also had a 2-level fusion - I think I did pretty good and had no trouble with stairs myself. Just slow and easy and hold the handrail, you just don't want to slip and fall.
  • I found it indispensable to have a little hold-all box next to me on my bed which would hold tv/dvd remotes, glasses, pen paper, mobile phone, medication etc. This, strategically placed would hold my life. Think of it as a purse. You just have to make a habit of putting things back in there so theyre not scattered all around you after you wake up from a little narcotic doze.
  • For the ladies I thought it might be easier to have a front hook bra. 8>
  • I would add that "scrub pants" are really easy as they can be tied and as loose as you need them. They now have them in so many stores. Another thing - sometimes they come a bit too long. If you get them, be sure to get them hemmed prior to surgery. It is fairly easy to make a few stitches or if needed, bring them to a seamstress before surgery.

Also, if PT will include water exercise, be sure the bathing suit fits, and that you are comfortable in prior to surgery. And, get a good pair of water shoes that will support the feet that could be painful after surgery. I got my water shoes and still use them. A good pair will outlast others.

Yes, definitely appetite is decreased after surgery. Thank you for all the good suggestions, it is an excelent list and I wish I had read it over before a couple surgeries I have had. It for sure has belped many people since it was compiled!
  • Forgive me for laughing at this, but as it happens, I've had so much pain in my hip and leg, that I've leared a couple of "moves" that I use all the time now (still pre-surgery). I look so silly that my family calls me "stork", "Grace" and "Tina Ballerina" all the time. leaning on right leg, lift left behind me into the air while bending flat-backed from the waist and doing a little dip. Looks absolutely ridiculous, but keeps the weight off the bad stuff! It is awful, tho, isn't it?
advertisement