Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Getting back to a normal life.

dbarbeau48ddbarbeau48 Posts: 332
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Pass that bag of ice, will ya. I did something today I never thought I'd ever be able to do again, I played golf. Prior to all my back woes, I was a decent golfer, a 15 handicap. Today, my son and I played 9 holes of golf. I rented a golf cart out of necessity, not cause I'm lazy. I played poorly, shot a 56, but I'm the happiest man on the face of the earth. I did something normal, something that was an important part of my life B.S. (Before Spiney).

Dick
Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
advertisement

Comments

• Woohoo! It is great isn't it. Just a little bit of living a normal life. Take it anywhere you can. I am just starting to have some enjoyable life moments myself, although not quite to that point yet, I can't wait. So happy for you!
  • It's always great to hear when someone with our problems is getting back to their "normal". Keep up the good work!!!
  • advertisement
  • It's always great to hear when someone with our problems is getting back to their "normal". Keep up the good work!!!
  • That's great news. Before you know it you be back to your old game!

Michelle
  • the smile in your post. I really feel quite excited for you, especially knowing that now you have done it you can do it again and again and again. :) :) :) :)

Sara O:)
  • advertisement
  • Dick,

That is fantastic and I share the feeling with you! A frightened sense of freedom and accomplishment all rolled into one. You ROCK sir! I am so psyched that you took the bull by the horns and just said to heck with it and went. Phenomenal sir, absolutely phenomenal!!!

"C"
  • YAY!!!! I tied my own shoes today and was ecstatic, I can only imagine what 9 holes of golf would do. You go!!!
  • I am very happy for you.

Thanks for sharring,

Julie
  • Dick -

Congratulations. Knowing how much my hubby pines for the golf course, freshly mowed grass, a gentle breeze, and his clubs, I can imagine how big a day this was for you. Enjoy the ice.

Looking forward to the day I can be a golf-widow, Terri

• What an inspiring story!! Not being able to play golf is killing me. The first surgeon I talked to said he didn't want to hear the "g" word, that it just puts too much strain with all the twisting! :''( I'm seeing another surgeon at the end of this month and I want to hear his take on a single level fusion with golf in my future!

You give me hope!

Thanks for sharing!

Diana
advertisement