Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Oxycodone being discontinued?

advertisement

Comments

• Oh ok-T/Y for that... :)

Too bad though.... :/

That's a shame for the people that take that script.I hope they sort it out soon.
  • one way not to become confused with oxy, etc ask the pharmacist what you have and how much to take. usually they will ask you if you want a pharmacist to talk to you when you get a script. ask them then. hopefully they can answer, but i had one who thought oxycontin ir came in 10mg dose and i had to tell him only 5mg. this guy had a degree. i won't say what pharmacy i have problems but it is a ...g ...g way before i go back and i will take the ...g way home.

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • I have been paying $20 a month for brand-name OxyContin ever since my pharmacy ran out of the last of the generic (I used to only pay $10 for generic). As someone posted earlier, often an insurance company will charge you a lower rate for a brand name IF a generic is not available. HOWEVER...last week when I got my scrip filled, the price had suddenly gone up to $23.67. I called my insurance company, and they said that the generic for OxyContin had been re-released, and because I "chose" the brand name over the generic, I was being charged a "penalty". I called my pharmacist who was completely unaware of any re-release. He called his wholesaler who told him that they had not received word of a re-release of the generic Oxy, either. But my insurance company insists it's available, so I am stuck in the middle. Why should I have to pay a penalty for something that no one but the insurance company seems to think is available? I am aware of the patent lawsuit resolution, and that it said generic Oxy would be available in "limited quantities...later this month", but there is nothing anywhere on the internet about that date, whether it's actually available as we speak...anything. Advice anyone? (and before anyone says anything, I am aware that $23.67 is still insanely inexpensive for brand name Oxy, but it's the principle...I'm tired of being nickled and dimed by insurance companies, doctors, hospitals...I KNOW you all know what I mean. ~X(
  • a generic was approved for Mallincrodt by the FDA during the last week of July, this year/2008, as time release, generic for oxycontin, in 10, 20, 40, and 80mg strengths ONLY. If you have another strength, there's no substitute right now. It might take a few months for this generic to hit the shelves. That does not mean it is available to order yet, especially at pharmacies like rite-aid, etc. These places sign long term contracts for months or a year or more to buy their drugs at special prices. Some of them might be locked into *not* being able to get the new generic when it's on the market. A mom and pop pharmacy would typically not have such restrictions. Call around, don't ask if they have it in stock, they'll give you the cold shoulder, just ask if they can order it from Mallincrodt yet. I haven't asked a pharmacist yet cause I've never seen a drug move from approval to my hand in less than two months.. good luck!
  • I have an update for anyone who's interested. In my last post I was lamenting the fact that I was being charged a penalty for getting name brand OxyContin, even though the generic has not been re-released yet. WELL...I spoke to my insurance company and argued my point. I was told that the generic is not actually scheduled to be available until late next month, so they emailed my RX provider, changing the wording of my coverage to say that the generic is not available and that I should not be charged a penalty. What is interesting is that they wouldn't just change the wording across the board for all their clients. I was told each person would have to call and make the same request I did...IF they notice that they are being overcharged. So they are banking on the fact that people either won't notice, won't do the research like I did, or won't want to deal with all the hassle of making the necessary phone calls. Nice. So if you are taking OxyContin, be SURE to check how much you are being charged and make sure your insurance company is not ripping you off like mine TRIED to do to me. ;)
  • advertisement
  • Most companies aren't going to call people and tell them they were over charged. I think that's a shame. Most people can't afford their scripts in the first place!
  • glad you got that fixed, sort of, and also VERY happy to hear that we may have a solid date for the generic that is coming up.. FINALLY!!
  • Did anyone notice, that the original poster never came back to this? When I first read this post, I was so curious what the heck it had to do with politics. I figured it was just a campaign plug.

While it has turned out to be a very informative thread, I think I was right... He never came back, never posted anything else... only one post.

:?

Just something I noticed....

Carry on with the topic :D
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,922
    Amanda, from time to time we do see someone who makes a post, and then for whatever reason they disappear.
    Thats ok, we can carry on a topic thread. But you do have to wonder WHAT was the rationale for the person making the original thread..
    Oh well.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • yeah..

Judging a book by it's cover, I'd say that was someone who maybe is addicted to oxycontin, even if they have a prescription for a valid reason, and was really pissed about having to switch to name brand, or actually, not being able to pay for it, and as such, being forced into withdrawals. I was in such a situation of sorts with that drug, and that's a post I would have made.. man when Oxy generics went away my life fell apart. Seriously.

Sorry, that's such a downer of a reply! True though. Hope the OP is ok, and, yeah, this post attracted more than one first time poster actually, I guess the word 'oxycontin' does that.

McCloughan - Do you have any solid info on the statement you made about the new generic being available late next month? I'd love a solid news article or something, a lot of people on here who pay cash for their meds would love to know that info! I tried Mallincr.'s web page for generics, but the catalog is from February; outdated. I'll give them a call tomorrow, maybe I can contribute useful info for once =)

goodnight all, JWM
advertisement