Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

was making my appointment...

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 550
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
For my epidural injection. While looking at one of the RX papers, there is a place for diagnoses.

Diagnoses: Degenerative Disk Disease.

My PM never said a word to me about DDD... and when I asked the woman on the phone about it, she couldn't give me any answers, just ask the doctor when you come in next week.

That would have been nice to know, don't you think?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Mana,
    I know the feeling about not being told complete info from the dr. :/ I had a mri done, and waited for the doctors office to call me with results, and when they didn't I called them. I didn't get to speak with the dr., only spoke with someone from his office, so they only read off what he had made notes about. I went back to him for a follow up appt a little over a week ago, and when I asked him if he was gonna have to do a discogram to find the specific problem, he said, no, that the mri showed him clearly that the disc was collapsed and L5 was sitting on the nerve. :jawdrop: So afterwards, I'm thinking, so why did he have me doing pt and an esi, when he saw that plainly from the mri. :W So now I am scheduled for a posterior lumbar interbody fusion on this coming Monday. I wish you luck in getting your problems took care.
  • When my back stopped being just isolated "flare ups" and began it's chronic thing. I finally got an MRI and was told that I would have an appointment for ESIs and they would take care of it. I knew nothing more. And now 2years later I get the whole grocery list of problems. I think they don't like to tell you what your diagnosed with because of the mental aspect of it.
    I just went to the hospital that I got my MRI done and asked for a copy. They will give you a paper with the details and prognosis( same thing your doc gets ), but also you should get a compact disc with all of the pics and you can see for yourself. I found a website that will show you how to read it.

I would say welcome to the DDD club we don't do antything fun! I really hope your ESI's help out. The first time i had them I had relief for 2 YEARS!. Are You going to be sedated for them? I've had them both and thats the best.

GOOD LUCK!

Jeff
  • advertisement
  • I'm glad the ESI's helped you, unfortunately it didn't help me but one day. :( I had the esi without sedation, and did not have a problem with it. I know that every doctor is different about the way they do it.
  • only helped about a month but I think I'll try them again since I had such good luck in the past. 2 Years of comfort is a hard thing to let go.
    So ur having fusion for DDD? My pm told me a couple of weeks ago my problem is not operative so sorry you're just going to be in pain.

Jaws
  • If I will be sedated. They said that it is done under an x-ray? And that I can't drive home. I'm kinda freaking out about having it done. :S I'm losing my second insurance next week, so I figure I might as well do it now while I don't have to pay for it...
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,348
    Here is the sequence you can figure on:

1 - Doctor talks to you about what he/she is going to do, and tell you want to expect afterwards. They may even mark the spot where the injection is being done.
    2 - You will have your vitals taken and dress in those great hospital gowns with no backs!
    3 - Wheel you into an operating room like environment. The doctor will be assisted by 2 or 3 nurses
    4 - Vitals taken again, IV put in and a mild sedative will be given ( I will make sure you get this)
    5 - While on your stomach the doctor will then start to insert the guiding needle through the help of a fluoroscope.
    Then the actual epidural need will be inserted
    6 - The doctor finishes up, the entire procedure takes abou 15-20 minutes
    7 - You are wheeled in to a recovery room. You will lay quiet for about 10-15 minutes, your vitals will be taken again. You get dressed, they offer you crackers, soda or some juice.
    8 - You are allowed to leave ONLY if you have someone driving you. You should also be given some instructions sheets on what to expect

The first night there may be some soreness, but you probably will not feel any benefit for up to 36 hours.

Good luck, its over before you know it.
    Here is a good video to watch:
    Epidural Spinal Injections
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Amanda.I've had several and not once was I sedated.You should ask ahead of time,but if they are telling you that you cannot drive then my guess would be they are planning on sedation.Not all Drs use sedation.

The X-ray thing is really cool,I forget what my Dr called it,it is an X ray,but he called it something else and he can watch what he is doing on that screen as he is in there with the needle,and take x-rays when he wants.He took several of mine and showed them to me.I asked if I could have one (lol) but he said that he needed them for my chart.

If you are just having one,the timing Ron gave should be about right.The last time I had mine on my neck,I had a couple in my hip as well and it took longer,I was in there for about 45 minutes.NO sedation,and the hip was pretty painful.
    The neck is no picnic either,but I just had the injection to help numb the area before the actual ESI.

What day are you getting yours?
  • See I had an epidural before, but I was in labor, and screaming at the doctor to kill me. The PM said it will be similar to that, without the screaming =)) (I hope) any sort of needle into the spine scares the crap out of me!

Robin, I'm going Tuesday morning. I think he said its like a 15 or 20 minute procedure.

Ron, You said you'll make sure they sedate me... so should I be expecting you at the hospital? 10:45 am... your what an hour and a half away? make sure you give yourself enough driving time LOL

No Advil, Aspirin, or Aleve for 5 days before, and I need to fast for the 5 hours before ( :''( no coffee!!!! how in the world will I ever make it anywhere without my coffee!! :''( )

I'll just have to get up at 5:45am and have a cup :D
  • If you're fasting you must be one of the lucky ones getting sedated.Don't worry,it's not so bad.

Remember-it's supposed to help your pain,and if it's successful just imagine the relief you might have.Since your already in pain it won't really seem like much-at least it did'nt to me.But I understand how you feel-just the thoughts of that being in my neck bothers me.

I'm a little envious of the others who had such relief from their ESI's.I'm glad for them,but I wish that mine had worked in my neck.On the other hand the one in my hip was like a dream come true...if someone had told me that it would work so well I would never have believed them.It's just something you have to feel yourself I guess.So I am glad about that,even though the pain is starting to come back now it will be awhile until it gets as bad as it was.

I really hope that yours is successful :)
  • now I have been having tremendous pain in my right hip, and down to my knee. I was under the impression that this was nerve pain, caused by the herniated and bulging disks.

however, the herniation and bulge, are pressing on the left nerves, not the right. So I have been told by 3 doctors now, that my hip pain is un-related to my back, I should actually be having pain in my left hip (which does happen, but once in a blue moon)

I'm not sure exactly what the epidural is intended to help... my back, or my hip. Would it even help the spine? If its intended for my spine, should I ask them to do it for my hip also... I mean while they're in there lol!!

I'm pretty sure this is for my hip, I can call on Monday and find out. Its the hip/leg pain that haunts me daily, and is never relieved by any pain medication.
advertisement