Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Doctor Switching My Meds Need Info

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Pain Medications
I'm 7 weeks post-op from 2 level PLIF and am still in quite abit of pain! Doc just switched me from lortab 10/500, to percocet 7.5/500. How does the percocet compare to the lortab?

Thanks for the info!

-Tim

July 17, 2008: Laminectomy at L5-S1 level with hemilaminotomy of my right L4 with diskectomy at L4-L5, L5-S1, with anterior bone implant x1 each at L4-L5, L5-S1, with pedicle screws at L4, L5, and S1 bilateral with posterior instrumentation at that level with posterior lateral fusion using Allograft bone and Infuse at L4, L5, and S1 with reduction of spondylolysthesis
advertisement

Comments

• Lortab is Hydrocodone with acetaminophen

Percocet is Oxycodone with acetaminophen

He may be trying to see if the Oxycodone gives you better relief.

"C"
  • Percocet is a stronger med as "C" stated. Yes the mg of the pain med is less but it is a stronger med. If at all possible I would ask your doc for the percocet 7.5/325. that way you are only taking 325mg of acetaminophen. My NS had me on Norco (hydrocodone) because it has only 325 mg of acetaminophen in it. He is now switching me to JUST Methadone. He is one of those docs that thinks if you can take something without the tylenol(acetaminophen) in it it is better. However I dont know how crazy I am about it.
  • advertisement
  • I think that I have heard 5mg of percocet would be the equivalent of 10mg vicodin
  • Remember oxycodone is 33 percent stonger per mG (compared with hydrocodone) which should keep you in the same range of pain relief.
  • Add to it the fact that some people get better relief from one vs the other, regardless of strength.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • from oxycodone than hydrocodone. I sure hope it helps you get some relief! Take care of yourself. :)))
advertisement