Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

October/November Upcoming Surgeries Post your story here!! :)

Comments

• Hi all new members! Terri good to see you back and doing well. Ethan: I had a L5/S1 laminectomy in 12/05 and recovery was six weeks because that was the first time I could drive but I felt better in about two and a half. I did great for two years until I re-herniated. I am in awful pain right now but am waiting for my Oct. 14th procedure which is a quick outpatient procedure which heats up the disc and hopefully sucks in the herniation. If not, I have to get a disectomy but I am going to get an endoscopic procedure which Dr. says takes one week of recovery (which I do not believe). I am pretty sure I will have to have it and am struggling over when to schedule it..due to holidays but need to have it before the year end because best financially due to insurance max being met already this year.

AHH!

Angela
  • how are you doing? just a few more days left...
  • advertisement
  • am I ready for this?
    :SS
    a mast/tlif spinal fusion on L4-S1. overnight stay hopefully if all goes well.

• my goal is to go trick or treating with my kids on holloween this year since i missed last on and the birth of my son due to Iraq, really want to go with them. i hope im not being unrealistic..lol
  • Keep your goal, but be realistic, too. You're having a lot of work done and walking is not gonna be any fun for a while. But have a goal for each day; start off small and work your way up and out the front door of the house.

Good luck. And enjoy the holidays with your children. :)

Jim
  • advertisement
  • GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE HAVING SURGERYS IN OCTOBER >:D<

Angie x
  • It's tomorrow. I feel like I have been waiting for this surgery forever and now it is finally here. I have my "area" ready- bedtray, LOTS of pillows, clothing with buttons and zippers.. Soft food, Smoothie maker (mmm). I even got this really cool headset thingy for my phone so I don't have to hold the darn thing up to my head.
    So I guess it's all over but the waiting. I am still waiting on the hospital to call and tell me what time to be there in the morning but I did speak to my hemotologist and she said I needed to go in early since I am getting platelets in the morning and my Amicar by IV. Which is great because the thought of swallowing 12 pills every 6 hours after my ACDF does not sound like fun. at all. Neither does waiting all day to go into surgery. I'm praying that I have an early arrival time. Not too early cause I'd like to get my kids off to school first but anything after 11 am and I'm gonna be freaking I think..
    Anyhow.. I think I'm rambling so I'm done. I will update with my surgery time as soon as I get it.

Wish me luck Please!
  • Hiya chelle Good Luck for today >:D< , you will be in our thoughts :? . After my operation, all my medication was medicine and soluble form, because they said if i was to choke =P~ (which sometimes i suppose you can) they didnt want me jerking my back :) .Keep us posted on your progress. >:D<

Angie x :H
  • Hi-

Since there is no December group yet, can I join you guys? I am scheduled for surgery on December 3. The reason that I am waiting this long is that we have had a vacation planned to Disney in Florida for over a year, and I don't want to miss it. The neurosurgeon urged me to go ahead and do the vacation first.

I am sceduled for a minimally-invasive TLIF from L4-S1 using bone from my spine and blood drawn from my hip (no BMP). The surgeon says that the surgery should last about 3 hours, my hospital stay should be two nights and he does not use a brace (he feels it only weakens the muscles in this area). He thinks that I should be off work for 6-8 weeks.

I am really excited that I found a great surgeon who does the minimally invasive procedure. I saw another surgeon who recommended an open PLIF with a 5 day hospital stay and a brace for 6 weeks. The two night stay sounds much better to me. So, I have found my surgeon. I am very nervous about the surgery, but I am just tired of the nonstop pain and not being able to participate in activies with my daughter and husband. After 5 years of pain it is time for the surgery.

I hope you don't mind me tagging along until a December group is formed. I am excited to join this group for support. You seem like a wonderful group of people!
  • it sure is coming up quick, the closer it gets the less sleep i get..oh it better be worth it! sorry just venting..lol
advertisement