Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

October/November Upcoming Surgeries Post your story here!! :)

Comments

• Hiya Jaime >:D<
    Good luck for your surgey in november, i hope you can get it scheduled for then. :) You dont have to rush the weaning :/ , you can get a tinned milk that replaces breast milk , my neighbour had do do that for her baby :? .I am sorry that you have so much pain, my problems are L4/L5/S1 and i have so much pain at the moment and the tablets are making me fill up with water :''( .You will have to ask your surgeon about that because everyone is different, but you probably wont feel like doing marital duties for a while ~X( .keep us posted about your progress :) .

Angie x :H
  • I am scheduled for a 360 on the morning of November 4th. :W

I've already voted via mail so that's taken care of. ;)

I had a TLIF w/instrumentation 09/25/07. Initial back/leg pain virtually disappeared immediately after surgery.

My surgeon determined after many x-rays, and a couple of MRIs and CT scans(along with my constant complaining of pain) that the bone graphs never started.

Still some major pain when I do certain things or move certain ways.

I'm trying to get myself better prepared for this time around. I think you can get physically prepared, but for me its hard to get mentally prepared. A whole truck load of anxiety.

Last time around, during the days leading to surgery I was a wreck. Lost appitite, very little sleep, constantly thinking about "what if" etc. The day of the surgery in pre-op, I was a basket case. I thought I was going to stroke out. That is until they gave me a sedative. The last thing I remember was being wheeled down the corridore towards "it". Next thing I remember I was the recovery room being cold as heck and thinking "that wasn't so bad".

I keep telling myself that everything is going to be OK and I KNOW there is nothing to worry about. But those feelings of dread are beginning to creep up again. :S
  • advertisement
  • hi im kristi, i had ab ALIF, one level spinal fusion at s1 l5 with instrementation on thursday october 2nd. im doing ok.. really tired and sore, not much energy and just kinda hanging out near my bed thats close to the toilet. i hope i feel better in the next few days, especially the surgical site. i keep thinking if it wasnt for all that burning and sorenes id be doing better. oh and a shower, if i could just take one that may help me feel human again.
  • Sparky, I just noticed that you are having the same surgery as I am the day after me. (I am waiting until after a Disney trip for mine). Is yours going to be an open procedure, or are they doing it minimally invasive for you? Do you know how long they think you will be in the hospital?

Part of me feels like this is a long time to wait, but yet I really don't want to miss the Disney trip with my daughter. I am trying to look at it as a plus. We will be at home when the weather is getting worse, so we won't miss being outside, etc. We will also have plenty of time to prepare for it.

I am just trying to focus on other things for now and praying that my pain doesn't get any worse until then.

Julie
  • Yes, mine will be minimally invasive. The doctor is still saying anywhere between 2 and 7 days in the hospital. He said his wide range is because everyone recovers differently. He also said the first 2 weeks will be the worst for pain and I will have to be off of work for 6 weeks and then light duty after that. The only reason I'm waiting this long (Dec.4) for the surgery is my Doc has to deal with some family problems. The pain right now is pretty bad and I'm only taking Vicotin when it is unbearable because I get to many goofy side effects from it. I guess with waiting this long we will both be home for Christmas! How fun a Christmas it will be still remains to be seen.

Are you going to be able to get around much down at Disney? Thats a lot of walking in store for you. I think they have some kind of handicap cart system there if you have a Doctors note.

Good Luck!

Mark
  • advertisement
  • Yes, I think it will be tough down at Disney. We have had this trip planned for over a year and I desperately want to see my little one's first experience there. Also, my surgeon encouraged me to go. Thanks for the idea about the handicap cart system. I am going to check into what they offer. My parents and husband will be there, so I figured if my pain gets to bad I can hang out at the timeshare pool while they do the parks.

That is great that your procedure is minimally invasive as well. My surgeon gave me similar information about my recovery time. I know what you mean about the pain meds making you loopy. I try to just take my tramadol at work because it doesn't have any side effects for me. But lately the pain has been so bad that I often have to take the norco by lunch time. One of the worst side effects is that sometimes I will be in the middle of a sentence and just forget a word. It is very frustrating. Thankfully, I take the train home so I don't have to worry about driving.

I also wanted to wish good luck to all those people who have upcoming surgeries!
  • Hello all,

I want to wish all who are having surgery today a good Luck and best wishes.... O:) Sending out the good vibes for you all.

Since Septembers Surgery Club ended I have not posted her much and felt I should drop in and give some support here.

Terri your awesme for keeping this thing moving along!!

I am recovering from a 2 level ACDF C 4-5 and C 5-6, so if anyone is going in for this surgery and would like to ask me some questions or have extra support~~~~please feeel freee to PM me anytime..
    I am here to support!!...:)
    Chrissy
  • Hiya Terri, >:D<
    Just wondered how you are feeling? :) Have you been taking it easy? :T PM me if you want to. :H

Angie x
  • Hi. Welcome..sure why not join us! Good luck at Disney..I don't recommend any rides that has a back warning.

Thanks,

Angela
  • Yikes! The surgery day is really almost here. I am nervous, realistic about the pain, and cautiously optimistic. I thank all of you for your insight and hand holding.
    I called my Physical Therapist this morning to tell him tomorrow was the day and to thank him. If it weren't for him, I still wouldn't know what was causing all of this pain. He was my advocate and insisted with the Dr's that I needed a cervical MRI and got this ball rolling.
advertisement