Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scars from surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use to minimize surgical scars?
advertisement

Comments

• i don't know. but my NS will not let me put anything on the scar until after my post-op visit next week.

• Sorry if i am in the wrong spot here. I cannot find where to start my own topic. It has been 4 weeks since my l4 l5 discectomy and my incision is still swollen the size of a golf ball. It get smaller then larger. Is this normal. I get very bad stabbing pains in this area. I would like to post a pic but not sure how. If anyone can direct me to a picture of what the post incision looks like that would be great. thx in advance.
  • advertisement
  • Crash,

Hi. Each time I had surgery the incision area stayed raised quite a bit for atleast a month or 2.... maybe more actually now that I think about it.It freaked me out enough that I called my doc and asked about it. You have to remember that when they go thru so many layers of muscle that it is healing from the inside out. So swelling in the area is very likely. Atleast that is what I was told at the time. I told him that it felt warm too and he said that goes along with it.

This is just what my personal experience was.

Take care and keep on healing!

Hugs,

Amy
  • Hi! :H I was wondering the same thing. Post op told me aloe and coacoa butter. Plus remember sunscreen so it doesn't get darker than the rest of your skin when you are outside. A co-worker I spoke to told me she used VITAMIN E OIL on her surgery scars and they did a great job. If you go to your local pharmacy store, like CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc. in the skincare section they should have a few solutions there too. If you don't see anything you like there, you can always google it;) I thought of going to places like AVON etc. Since I have no money until I get paid on Friday, I used some of my Oil of Olay Regenerist deep hydration regenerating cream. I have sensitive and dry skin, so I use a certain facial cleaner, and I use regenerist on my face and I love it. I put some on my scar for the first time yesterday and it already started to look a little better to me. It says on the bottle it doubles skin's surface cell regeneration rate...I guess maybe it does. Anyway, the point is maybe some products like that can also be effective for scars. Anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, etc. Sounds kinda like the same process to me. Anyone have any more imput on this theory? I'm sure someone with more smarts than lil ol me might be able to shed some light on that. Anyway, good luck. Hope this helped a little. By the way, I am going to go get that Vitamin E oil Friday and use both!! I figure it can't hurt! :)
  • Hi guys,

The nurse, or was it the PT, or the PA...hmmmmm those pain drugs make me forget things 8}. Anyway...back to my point when I was discharged I was told to use Vitamin E and cocoa butter on my incision line. BUUUUUT, when I had hand surgery back in '02 and '03 I used Scargo on my incision site. The hand therapist I was working with was so impressed with what it was doing for my scar she started to recommend it to her other patients. I was able to pick it up at a local natural food store....or you can use this site I found:

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=2454

It's really great inexpensive and I HIGHLY recommend it. It's what I'll be using on my back since it worked so well on my hand.

Michelle
  • advertisement
  • You show me yours and I'll show you mine :O :D

That just sounded too bad to not say - okay, now I'm blushing... (where IS that blushing smiley when you need it!)

Hey Crash... I'm not sure, but golfball sized sounds not so good - like there is something in there. I have hardware and my incision is just a raised red ridge. If I can figure out a way to move my photo over from the one computer to the next I'll have to post the picture.

edit - I think I did it:

That dot scar on the side is from the post-op drain. Lately I've noticed that my scar is a LOT more vividly red than just a few weeks ago - the time of the photo. I'm expecting it to go white eventually - in either case, it certainly is not golf-ball looking at all.
  • saltz...how many inches is your scare? Just curious.
  • Neosporian works like a dream.
    I put it on each day I changed my bandage. ;) ;)
  • The scar - about 8 inches

I think, it's hard to measure on my own, and I have to say that I don't show it much - it goes down a bit farther than I am comfortable showing :O (hence the cut off photo!! /:) )
  • I wish I could offer you a suggestion, but I'm a weirdo. I don't care about my scars. Lol. In fact, I actually like them. I have a 10" horizontal scar from having a C-section for my 10 lb 9oz baby! I have a nice red one from my MicroD, and I will have two more after my next surgery. Lol. They are battle wounds!! My skin heals funny... My MicroD scar isn't infected or anything... Both the NS and the PA checked it... But they both noted how red it was. It's been about 5 months but it's still just as red as the day after surgery. I'm a freak o' nature.
advertisement