Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

My husband has random upper back and neck pain pls help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am not sure if I am posting on the right board but I am trying to get some help for my husband. He has random middle/upper back & neck pain that comes and goes randomly. When it comes it is really bad, although it does not come too often.
He says massages don't help at all.
He says he feels like he is a kabob on a skewer if that makes any sense?
He says the pains are shooting.
He can't move when iot comes and has to get into a position where it doesn't hurt.
We have an extremly high deductible PPO where we don't need a referal so if you think we need a Dr. what type of dr. would you suggest? I'd rather not go through a general Dr. first to avoid extra expenses.
Anyone have any advice to what this may be?


  • A general doc may be the best option so that he can look at things from a global view instead of a specialized view that might allow something to be missed.

    General docs can order x-rays, blood work, MRI's and more and they are trained in "triage" of a patient. If you were to go directly to a spine specialist he will focus only on the spine and this could be so many other things.

    You're husband is lucky to have a wife that cares so much!

    Welcome to Spine Health.

  • I had the exact same thing. Could not move or breathe during the pain. Last time it lasted two hours. I went to a chiropractor and he has helped a lot. Hope this helps.
  • advertisement
  • Pain Management Dr. may help. You can look online to find one in your area. It usually requires a referral from your family Dr. Family Dr. should order MRI for your husband as Haglandc mentioned. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349

    For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

    Welcome To Spine-Health

    If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

    The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

    Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

    To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

    Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

    I agree with "C". Your first step is to see your general Primary Care Physician. Initial clinical diagnosis can be done there and based on those findings , the PCP can decide the next course of actions. It could be muscular and in that case, one course would be taken. The fact that it comes and goes does sound like it is muscular.

    If a disc problem is suspected, then a set of diagnostic tests could be
    set up. Then based on those findings, seeing a Specialist or Pain Management doctor might be in order.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
Sign In or Register to comment.