Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.


AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My surgery was scheduled for Oct. 7th. But like many of you I have been going back and fort about doing the surgery or not. Well I talked to the NS and like I mentioned before, he also has neck issuee but uses the traction once or 2ice a year. I decided that If my pain is not excrusiating then I will wait until things a very unbareable.

Been doing the traction and feel fine. Only have the stiff neck in the morning..little tingling and numbnes on thumb and index finger, but other then that i'm fine.

Doctor did advise not to go on rigurous rides or do anything rough :? I asked if was in any danger of getting paralized and he said No, then I asked if I stand a change of getting paralized if I were to get hit from the back or anything like that and the response was " I'm not trained to look at an MRI to determine if you could or could not get paralized" :? Now that answer did bother me a little bit , but I decided not to dwell on it and just move on, If things get really bad I can always get this surgery done.

He said the longer you can wait to do this surgery, the better because getting a 3 level fusion most likely will cause the other disc to deteriate sooo if you get surgery done at an early age he says then you will most likely need another surgery again! He said most people who get it done early usually have to get another surgey in about 10 to 12 years. And he said that this surgery can put a toll on ones body. I didn't want to deal with that right now.

The ROM thing and if I could get paralized those were the determining factors for me. :)


  • Well~This is only my opinion,but if you don't have to put your body through that then I think you made a wise decision.Of course I'm not a Dr.(I get so tired of saying that-I think I'll put it in my signature line,lol),but it seems to me that it would be smart not to have such a serious operation unless a person absolutely had to.

    I mean,our spines have to last our lifetime.

    I have the numbness in my thumb,and tingling in my fingers,pain in neck & shoulder,and other issues from cervicle DDD and I have'nt even discussed surgery with my Drs.,other than to tell them that I was'nt interested except/unless a last resort..but I think I would be nervous if the Dr.wanted to operate,or advised me to.

    My Dr and I don't discuss going on rigorous rides or things like that,I think we both know that's not going to be happening.I try not to think about things like that because I always loved roller coasters and amusement parks rides..the faster the better,but truth be told I have'nt been able to do that for awhile.

    I bet you feel better having made that decision. :)
  • I'm glad that you've taken your care into your own hands! It sounds like you've done a lot of research as well as soul searching to come to this decision and that's good. It's one thing to just chicken out like we all want to do LOL) and another to really educate yourself.

    I wish that I had been given a choice. Both of my surgeries have been vital to the use of my limbs and everyday function. Please don't wait too long though- don't try to be a hero. These things can creep up on you before you know it and you need to stay completely in touch with your body from now on.

    I can read the relief in your words....congratulations :)))

  • advertisement
  • butterflye18--keep in mind that if you feel your situation is getting worse, you can change your mind. Keep reading and learning about your condition. I have not had surgery, and consider it a last resort. Once you have surgery you can't go back and change your mind. We are all individuals and know what's best for ourselves. I made it a point to ask two neurosurgeons "will I be paralyzed if I fall down the stairs with my laundry basket? or if hit from behind by a car, etc?" One said "hey, that could happen to anyone!" The other said he thinks that surgeons use that too much to encourage people to have surgery. Good luck and keep us posted!---Mazy (I am not a doctor, and heck--I don't think I'd wanna be one! :))) )
  • To cut or not to cut... that truly is the question. I think as long as you feel you can hold off... then darnit hold off. It's your body getting cut into after all! And if the NS thinks its ok for you to wait that's even better!!

    Good luck, and be sure to do lots of stuff to keep your spine healthy, and to keep surgery far away into the future =)
  • I am glad for you, if I would have had the choice I would not have had surgery either. But, like some others said don't wait if it gets worse, it is not worth the risk. I was also told I was in extreme danger and couldn't wait, infact I had emergency surgery the day after I went to the Ortho Doc, who is very hard to get into usually. I wish you lots of luck with waiting and hope you are able to wait long term for your benefit...
  • advertisement
  • Yes, I will definitly keep in touch I am on the Forum at least 2ice a week.

    Hey Paulgla. I have severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis and moderate canal stenosis bone spurs and khyposis (straightening of the neck fwd curvage)from C-4 thru c-7. My symptoms are mainly pain and numbness in the right arm and thumb I also have numbness in my right buttock and leg, foot, but that is because I also have stenosis in my lower back L4 thru S1. No myelopathey but do have hyperreflexia (appearently one of the symptoms. You know I have very bad myoclonic jerks, usually at night does any of you have them? I do tend to brush off pain and ignore it. But, yes I will call the Doctor if things get really bad.

    I think my NS as happy 2, he kept saying "you are so young" I am 42 but look like I am in my early 20's :O (No that is not always a good thing trust me, especially if you have a son that age #:S ) young on the outside old on the inside =)) LOL
  • Was just wondering if any of the stuff you have listed is a direct result from the surgery you had? :SS
Sign In or Register to comment.