Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Hardware and Dentistry

Comments

• Shadow,

It is true that taking antibiotics unnecessarily can effect you so that in the future you not respond to them. This is why at times doctors are resistant to prescribe them, especially for something like a virus cold when they are ineffective anyway. But it does not mean that one cannot take a single dose before dental treatment. I have a chronic lung condition, and at times I am on an antibiotic rotation for months, meaning I take a different antibiotic for a week in every month while I am on this treatment regime. When I expressed my worries to my pulmonary doc that I worry about taking too much antibiotics, he explained that I am getting very low dosage and a different one every time, so I won't develop resistance to it. Also, very often they come out with a different antibiotic with different chemical base, so the possibilities are limitless (almost). So the lesson is don't take antibiotics indiscriminantly, but when you need them, don't hesitate and take them.

Kin
  • That is true kin.. was only trying to pass along what I was taught... Been an RN for years, have worked in the very field that Im having surgery in, lol. Thanks for your input! :)
  • advertisement
  • Hey shadow I agree with you. My son suffered with severe mrsa infection after his second spinal fusion surgery for scoliosis. This resulted in 6 major spinal surgeries, hardware in hardware out, 10 weeks on Zyvox, 6 weeks on IV VAnco, bacteremia, too many days in pediatric intensive are. It is dangerous to take antibiotics if not needed. That being said however, it is also crutially important not to get an infection around your hardware. My son's dentist had asked if he needed antibiotic and his surgeon said no. I hope the surgeon is right because once you have chronic osteomyelitis, it can lay low just waiting for the next chance to take over. I know with the last two surgeries for my son to put the hardware back in, they were very proactive and gave him iv vanco the whole time in the hospital although at that time there was no indication that the infection was there.