Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

DDD and AGE

ToYoungforThisTToYoungforThis Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I know DDD can effect anyone and is a normal aging process. But i would like to know is how many of us suffer from the age 30 and younger. There are alot of us that suffer from extreme pain and restrictions from the effects of DDD.

Any information on age at onsight of symptoms, surgeries, what treatment options?

Thanks you this site has helped me so so much with all the information and stories shared here really help dealing with the effects of spine diseases.

Paula
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, I am 27. I have had back pain my whole life. I fractured vertebrae in my lumbar spine when I was 10. I have had the worst pain over the last year. I received the DDD diagnoses the other day... when reading my RX for epidural injection. The PM never mentioned DDD to me at all... just wrote it down under diagnoses on the RX...

My Aunt has DDD. She has been suffering since a car accident years ago. I believe she was in her mid 30's when her problems began.
  • Is DDD the same as spondylosis?,,,patsy
  • advertisement
  • I am 28, found out I have DDD at the age of 27 when I had an MRI after falling at work. My Dr claims that DDD, bulging disc, and an annular tear shouldn't cause pain (and therefore can't tell me why I hurt all the time).
  • where did he get his MD? at the local print shop?
  • No its not the same DDD is just the short term for Degenerative Disc disease, but most pople with disc problems have DDD.

But Lady Bug get a brain MRI that will tell you if you have MS don't Dr. let you think that is the cause of your pain. if it is Not. The issue of MS is a sensetive subject I had a Dr try to tell me I hd the sings of MS he was a big jerk bout the pain issues. So I went an got an MRI and it showed neg.

Found a new Dr. after that and finally getting the proper treatments.

• advertisement
  • I think it's because it's WC, that way I still have to work. WC even rejected my Tridural (tramadol er) RX payment, saying it's not related to my condition. I'm trying to get my films from WC and go down to the states for a decond opinion (hard to get one up here).
  • thanx for letting me know its not the same,
    i have had 4 mri's of the brain in the last 2in a half years.
    and a spinal tap. patsy
  • hi yea my name is carol my husband was told in april this year that he had DDD and as had pain in his back and cant sit down for long cant walk for long and his right foot goes numb but the gps that we have been to say that the ddd will not give him the pain we have asked for a MRI and have been told not yet he as even had physco as well but the pain is still there some days it only 5-10 and some days its 9-10 the physco said that the pain that goes to his brain he as to block well tell me how can you do that gp dont look at it as the DDD so what is it then please help
  • DDD and Spondylosis...

To my knowledge and understanding, DDD (degenerative disc disease) is the dehydration "drying out" of the disc material in the spine. If looking at your MRI films or CD, you should see gray or lighter coloration where the disc space is between the vertebrae. If the disc is "dried out", it will appear black or dark, and you usually will see the height of the space between those 2 vertebrae is shorter than the vertebrae that appear "normal". DDD is a common condition that eventually happens to most, if not all, of us as a natural process of aging. Some of us just seem to have symptoms with it while others would never know it was going on if they didn't have an MRI. Also some of us seem to have it more accelerated than others, meaning it occurs younger in us than in other people. I first learned of mine in 2002, when I was barely 28. To learn more about how to read your MRI, go here: www.chirogeek.com

Now, Spondylosis is one I'm not as familiar with, but to my understanding, Spondy is related to arthritis in the spine.
    Perhaps someone else will chime in here with more info on Spondylosis, but in the meantime I'm sure you can find more info on this site, or by Googling Spondylosis.

I hope this helps.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    spinal conditions. The name Disease just portrays something that is so negative. In reality, DDD is not a disease, it is really the aging of the spine. You might find this in many articles, that DDD can be akin to the graying of our hair
    Most people by the time they reach 30 will already show some signs of DDD. Trauma, Accidents and Surgery can also speed up that process. Even with that most DDD cases are manageable.
    A good approved exercise program and over the counter medications (ie NSAIDS) can go far in controlling the discomfort associated with DDD.
    Its only in the rare and severe cases of DDD is surgery required.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.