It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test
The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion
I have been reading posts here for a little while and I finally decided to join. You all seem like a wonderful group of people.
So, here is my history. I had a lamenectomy at L5-S1 in October of 2004. At the time my left foot had been numb for several weeks. I had a very difficult recovery which turned into an infection. They couldn't get a pic line in because of my crappy veins so they put me on Zyvox to clear up the infection.
I have been in chronic pain ever since. I have been in PT more times than I can count. In May 2007 I had an MRI which showed a bulge at L4-L5 and L5-S1 but nothing major. I tried more PT, acupuncture, sacariliac joint injection, and 3 caudual epidurals.
This summer I went on a trip for work and felt something go very wrong in my back and was in a lot of pain. A few weeks later my pain management Dr. had me get an MRI and I now have two large herniated disks at L5-S1 and L4-L5. So, he did a discogram to determine which one(s) were causing the pain this past week. The test showed that both are causing my pain. After the procedure he told me that my options were a spinal cord stimulator or fusion surgery. He is going to give me more information at my appointment this Wednesday.
At this point I am very scared and nervous about potentially having another surgery. I am the primary breadwinner in our family and I don't have near enough leave time for something like this. I am just going to try to take one step at a time. I have already scheduled a consultation with an ortho surgeon who came highly recommended.
Thanks for listening!