Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

pain meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Pain Medications
Is vicodin the same as norco?
advertisement

Comments

• Vicoden is Hydrocodone with 500+mg of acetominophen
    Norco is Hydrocodone with 325mg acetominophen.
    My doc told me they are the same except for the amount of acetominophen
  • They are similar but not the same. It's true they are both made of the same materials but Vicodin comes in more than one strength. An example is Vicodin 5/500. That means it has 5 mg of hydrocodone (the pain killer) and 500 is the amount of acetaminophen (the anti-inflam part). Norco is a 10/325 tablet which is higher for pain killer but less damaging to your liver because it has less tylenol (acetaminophen). If you need to be on a pain killer long term then the Norco would be best unless you plan on doing routine liver panels (lab work) to monitor the damage being done, if any. Hope this helps.
  • advertisement
  • Great answer bigcat.

I get a liver function done every 6 mos along with my thyroid because my thyroid meds are always whacked.I'm glad that they keep an 'eye' on my liver...and I'm reminded too how glad I am to have given up the drinking.. #:S
  • #o
  • advertisement
  • comes in 5/325, 7.5/325 & 10/325 I know this because I have been on them all at different times
  • MelissaJo is correct, Norco is the Hydrocodone/APAP combination that only carries with it 325 mgs of APAP. Vicodin comes in different strengths. For instance 5/325 5/500 Vicodin ES 7.5/500 7.5/650 etc and on. The thing to remember is that Vicodin and Norco are basically the same, they only differ in name. It is all Hydrocodone with Aspirin or Tylenol.
  • vicodin

5/500 7.5/750 10/500

Norco 5/325 7.5/325 10/325
  • Where is that list (in a sticky maybe?) that has all of the various pain meds and their descriptions? Perhaps that would clarify the confusion for the OP once and for all? Ron? Paul? Bruce? Niki? Anyone???
advertisement