Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Hospital Experiences?



  • Haylie,

    If you were referring to myself, I had a discectomy and a laminectomy at levels l4/l5 & l5/s1. It was nice being able to go home with less than 12 hours in the hospital and I preferred to be in my own bed rather than stay.

    The first few days were on the painful side when getting up and going to the restroom etc... but all I did for about the first week was sleep, watch tv, and do mini-laps around my house.

    10 weeks post-op, I'm doing pretty good. Just have slight weakness around the lower back when I first get up after laying down for awhile, like my back needs to get warmed up, and a few aches and pains but nothing major.

    As for recommending out-patient? For me I liked it just because I'm more comfortable at home and only live 5 minutes from the hospital I had the procedure. But everyone is different, and some people and surgeries definitely should be in-patient.

  • How are you doing? What further surgery might you need, is it a follow up on the MicroD or something different?

    I too struggled with my 1st MRI as I didn't really know what to expect and I started to freak out a bit when I was in there as I got to worrying about how I would get out quickly if I needed to. Only the thought of having to do it all over again made me tough it out, it seems silly now but it was hard at the time.

    I had a MicroD in Jan in London at a private hospital and would rate my stay (48 hours) as a 10. I don't have any complaints at all about the way I was treated by the nurses, anaesthetist or my surgeon, they were all brilliant.

    I caused some extra work for the nurses as they had to help me with my breastpump (I had to express every 4 hours or so in the night) as I was still nursing my baby. Even though it was an unusual request they were all happy to help, although being able to have a cuddle of the little one when he came into see me the day after the op might have helped the situation a bit!

    I always made sure I was really polite to the staff, even the people that come round with the meal or to clean the room, it helps cheer me up when they seem happier.

    To be honest I was in a pretty good mood after the surgery as it was a success, I'm not sure what might have been different if I had been in loads of pain, I know its hard to be nice if you are having a tough time of it.

    Hope things go well for you

  • advertisement
  • I am concerned about a soft benign tumor that is located on my inner thigh/leg. It didn't cause any problems until this sciatic episode that caused the surgery. I have numbness and pain left over, and we're waiting to see if it goes away or if the tumor is still causing it. I am praying I don't have to have another surgery, especially given the location of the tumor is so close to my important female parts!

    Thanks for your post. I am glad to hear you rate your experience a 10. I was nice to all of my nurses and techs, or anyone that came near me, even the nurse who wasn't that nice to me. I figured it wouldn't do me any good to be negative to anyone.

    BTW, how long after your microD before you were feeling good, able to sit and drive, and life was back to normal?

  • Hi Haylie,

    Sorry to hear about the tumour, that sucks having to have another op, sometimes things just aren't fair!

    Its hard to remember when I felt OK again after my op as it was a gradual regaining of strength rather than a magic recovery after a certain number of weeks. I am a full time mum to my 2 kids, so I had to do alot more physical activity that was probably wise. My daughter was just 2 and my son only 6 months at the time of my op, I had 2 weeks at my parents place post op and then it was back to my "normal" life.....

    I had to make lots of allowances for myself and tried to limit the amount of lifting I was doing. I made sure not to lift their double pram in and out of the house and I would pick them up carefully, close to my body rather than from arms length.

    It was a good couple of months before I felt able to put them in and out of the car seats as it is a tricky position to hold their weight whilst leaning forwards. My DH had to do their bath times for a while too as I couldn't lift them in and out.

    I am lucky that I don't need to use a car to get around, I walk most places with the kids, so I was able to get back into my normal routine pretty quick. I didn't go on any long drives for ages afterwards, but I do remember driving the car a few weeks after the op and it felt OK.

    Another job that I had to leave for ages was lifting the laundry basket as it is hard to hold close to your body and always felt it was straining my back.

    It took a good 6 months for the pain on my right side to go, the Doc was considering another surgery at one point but I found doing core strengthening exercises really beneficial and that has helped my recovery no end. I still get lots of foot and lower leg numbness, but it doesn't really affect me at all, it just feels weird, so you might find that takes a while to calm down.

    Hope your pain level reduces soon, let us know what your NS says in your check up.

  • It's not for sure I'll need the 2nd surgery. My NS says the lump will possibly go back to it's previous non-bothersome state once my post-op numbness goes away. I'm just hoping for the best and preparing for anything. :)))

    It sounds like you have a great husband and you were very careful. I am constantly tempted to pick stuff up! I need to follow your example. If you have any other tips, please post them or PM me.

    Thanks a bunch,
  • advertisement
  • I arrived at the hospital about (8-2007)10:00am, filled out the required paperwork,sent in to a pre-op room, all the different docs involved stopped by, and was rolled into surgery about 11:00am. The quickness of this was good for me because I didn't have much time to dwell on the information the docs gave me before surgery. Only saw the anastesalogists (spell?) before I was knocked out and next thing (10.5 hours later)I remember is my NS telling the post-op nurse that "he stays here or he goes to ICU". The nurse was saying there were no ICU beds available and my NS would just repeat his statement. Next thing I remember was a shadow figure in a door opening and all I could think of was it must be my guardian angel looking over me. The next morning I found out I was in the ICU BURN UNIT of the hospital. I didn't know until about 36 hours after surgery that I had a cath installed during the surgery. I don't remenber being told of this, but I was given alot of information in a short period of time. When my NS would stop by there were about 12 other people with him and taking notes - this is a teaching hospital next to a University. I was not to alert for about 2-3 days, but I do remenber the nurses in the NS ward were great and my guardian angel in the ICU was terrific. I couldn't eat or swallow most of my stay, but the nurses would always offer good advice like liquid pain medication. I was so impressed by my stay in this hospital that 3 months later (before Christmas) I purchased three assorted candy gift baskets from SEE's CANDY and delivered them myself thanking the nurses for taking care of me. I must be going on to long so I will stop for now.
Sign In or Register to comment.