Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Give me something 4 pain?Can scar tissue cause all this pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Chronic Pain
:''( Can scar tissue cause all this pain?
advertisement

Comments

• Look into the condition called Adhesive Arachnoiditis. See if it's something that fits your current condition. I have it myself. Have you had recent surgery, I mean within a year or so? My NS told me that with Arachnoiditis there is an overproduction of scarring (adhesions) which attach to anything they can. Pulling and tugging on nerves and nerve roots causeing (me) constant intractible pain. I hope this is not the case for you, but thought I would throw it out there as something to investigate and talk to your doctor about.

Peace and hugs,

Amy
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! i have scar tissue and it can really cause severe pain. you don't say what pain options you are on. good luck and i hope you find a treatment plan soon. Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • Hiya,
    Welcome to spine Health >:D<

Angie x
  • I was wondering about scar tissue also. My MRI last week showed that I have scar tissue at the L5-L4 level and its affecting my L4 nerve root. I'm in considerable pain but my dr. is saying that scar tissue would not cause pain. I disagree and am in the process of finding another doctor. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Carrie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    I have a lot of old scar tissue from my various lumbar surgeries. The scar tissue (internal and external) itself has not cause any pain, but what impact it has can be painful.
    With the scar tissue, I have lost flexibility and mobility. So, if I do not do the exercises to help work out and stretch the scar tissue, I will be tighter, my legs start to hurt, etc
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • advertisement
  • Ron, is you scar tissue on the nerve root? I'm just curious. I have tried stretches and they tend to make the pain in my legs worse. But if eventually exercises will stretch out the scar tissue and give me relief I will keep at it.

Carrie
  • My scar tissue is actually the biggest cause of my pain. My nerve root, not sure which one, is completely flattened like a pancake. It's been completely squeezed shut, and the mri that shows this is over 6 years old. This was right after my 3rd & last back surgery. There's no telling how much more and worse it is now. I actually have daydreams about taking a knife or scissors and jabbing them in my back just to cut through the scar tissue. It sounds soooo good to me! I try to stretch on a daily basis but almost every time I get stuck in a position and can't get back out of it. Kinda scary when that happens. It happens when I bend over. But yes, scar tissue can cause pain, but the downside is there isn't much that can be done about it. As far as I know. I plan on looking into that RF procedure to see if it would help with the pain.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    Carrie,
    My scar tissue (internal) is partially in the L4/L5 region. That was from my first set of surgeries (1978-1986).. Little was done to work that scar tissue, so basically know it is so rigid, there is not alot that can be done. I've discussed this with my doctor and they just felt, ok, we can operate to remove some of that scar tissue, but the new surgery is going to leave scar tissue anyway
    The external scar tissue is what is really causing more difficulties for me. Besides my lumbar scar tissues, I have a good 5 inch one on my back (result of a recent 3rd degree burn). That is being worked on so I wont have as much tightness
    Stretches have been the only way to loosen this up.. If I a while without doing those exercises, things just tighten up again.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was told today that that was mostly a large portion of the cause of my pain and that there was nothing that my ortho could do to help me with it. They referred me out to PM. I have the tightness and constriction of movement that the others of you discuss here but I don't know of anything to do about it. I guess I'll do a literature search on this and see what comes up. If I find any useful information, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Hang in there, ya'll. We don't have a lot of options. :X
  • Not sure if this is the same but i have a protruding lump , in the L/4 L/5 region, and its very painful. When i have had doctors take a look and when they touch that area it is very painful, and hurts when i lay on my right side and on my back. The surgeon that did the operation told me there was no way that scar tissue could be painful. I am telling you its there and causes a lot of pain,and has been there since the operation. I never has PT after surgery there was not any after care.

Angie x
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.