Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please, If your on lots Of Narcotics

cyndi4everccyndi4ever Posts: 153
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Drink Plenty of fluids, Eat Well, and keep ahead of the constipation,,,, I ended up in the hospital being so impacted from my bowels, and let me tell you it made the surgury a walk in the part...... Never have I been soooooooooooo sick,,,,, Naseaa, throwing up, pains, I was not able to keep anything down including meds so that just was a catch 22,, so please just be careful..... I will never forget this lesses.. Cyndi
advertisement

Comments

• may i add... take some extra magnesium, just the vitamin itself can make the diff. I prefer CALM it is the best, taste great and works what more could you ask for. patsy
  • OUCH!! so sorry you had to go through this.

Glad you are back home and doing better. I have only been mildly constipated after surgery but that was painful enough.

Others on this site have recommended Prunes in your daily diet also.

Have never tried but for those on meds this seems like a good way to get your fiber.
  • advertisement
  • and it would seem that the docs would and should tell us about this side-effect beforehand. It seems to effect everyone.
  • Good advice! It took me 10 days post-op. They should never have let me go home until I was able to go. The problem for me was I was so "out of it" those first few days I didn't realize the seriousness of it. I was not too concerned because I was eating so little. Thank God for Fleet to get me going again and for Plum Smart juice, it saved me.
  • Has anyone just randomly experienced it months into being on narcotics? I've been taking pain killers for 6 months... And just these past couple weeks I have had an issue with it. I've been taking generic peri-colace but it doesn't do much. I don't know how I am still eating and losing weight when I'm keeping all the food inside. Lol.
  • advertisement
  • told me but I just had never experienced it and boy will I pay atttention next time and forever now,,, I have been on some sort of narcs for 4 years off and on now and maybe this has been my stomach issue all along.......... Ill try the magnesium, I have a tendency to go low on pottasium so Ill try that too,,,, funny my pottasium was higher than normal while going through this LOL,,,, thanks Everyone this is s agreat family
  • I have to incorporate prunes and/or prune juice every other day now. I prefer the actual prunes as to the juice, the juice is very bitter compared to the actual prune.
    I have found for me.. If I am not having to take any break-thru pain meds, then I dont have the problem, But when I do, look out! Im so not looking forward to the area after surgery! I have otc meds on hand and ready!
  • They have delicious dark chocolate covered prunes now... OMG they are yummbo.......
  • I am new to this site and I have already suffered from constipation. I have found that Miralax works great. It is a powder that has no taste that you can put into your favorite drink hot or cold. I like it because it doesn't make you cramp and it really helps me.

Keisha >:D<
  • Hi Cyndi4ever, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I take docusate sodium(colace) as a stool softener and milk of magnesia daily. I'm very interested in chocolate covered prunes. I learn something new everday. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement