Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Rheumatologists vs, and/or PM

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey all,
My Ortho "dumped" :O me today (actually his PA--I didn't get to see my ortho) saying he was a surgeon and not really supposed to prescribe pain meds long term. So, he referred me to the local PM--which has a HUGE reputation for treating their patients like drug addicts. I've considered seeing a rheumatologist for all my arthritic joints. My question is: is the rheumatologist going to be willing to treat my pain long term or are they going to refer me out to a PM, too? Or, does that depend on the rheumatologist? I've heard SO many horror stories about PMs that I don't really want to do down that road if I don't have to.

Opinions, please.

Makin It


  • I was blown off by an Orthopedic surgeon as he says I'm not a surgery candidate. I'm going to a pain management Doctor now. My own family Doctor prescribes my meds and I let her know that my pain is bad and had to even ask for my pain med to be increased to twice a day. I think it's up to your family Doctor to prescribe meds but perhaps the pm Dr. or rheumatologist can let your Doctor know you need more pain meds. I wish you well. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi - this is my first post. I'm seeing a rheumatologist and he's good about treating my pain long-term. I don't have a DX yet but we suspect it is fibro. Have been through the ringer with testing for lupus, MS and other stuff but have no definitive DX yet. So all we can do for the time being is manage the pain. Taking Zanaflex for muscle pain and the added sleep benefit but not prescribed anything for the joint pain. Trying to manage with otc nsaids.
    I'd definitely try the rheumatologist if I were you! Good luck!
  • advertisement
  • If you can, I would make appointments with both types of doctors, and discuss your situation and concerns with them. Then make a decision on what is best for you.

    I've not been to a rheumatologist, but my PM doc is great. Of course there are good and bad doctors and practices, so taking the time to find one that is right for you, is well worth it.

    I wish you luck.
  • as i have seen both. i found that the PM i went to only treats back issues, not arthritis. there are so many different types its nuts.
    some just do treatments as injections etc.
    some do long term meds.
    so physicotherapy (spelling).
    if its your joints w/ arthritis causing your pain i would go straight for a rheumy.
    im in the process of finding my third one.

    so do your homework and find out who treats what first.
    as you do not want to get to the appt and have it be a waste of time. only saying this from experience personally and it gets so very frustrating..

    hang in there, let us know how you do.
    terri ;) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.