Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What time of day was your surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Early morning? Mid-afternoon? Late afternoon?
Are you glad you had your surgery at the time of day when you did... or would you have liked it at a different time of day? Did any of you have a choice?
advertisement

Comments

• My surgery was scheduled for 7:15 am which means I had to be there at 5:45. Getting up at 4:30 to get ready to go was not fun. Especially for my parents who drove me. I woke up in recovery with lots of other people. I kind of wished it would have been at a less-busy time. I wanted in as soon as possible and that was it. I'm not sure if I could have asked for later.

Was anyone else directed to bathe both the night before and the morning of your surgery? Extremely painful both times since I couldn't sit or stand. Ahhh those were fun times... ;)

Haylie
  • Originally scheduled for 7:30 AM, was notified the week before that it had been changed to 10:30 AM. Was okay with me cause my arrival time changed from 5:30 to 7:00, got a little extra sleep. My surgery finished at 4:00PM, out of recovery after 5:00PM. Wasn't crowded in Pre-op or Pacu. Good-luck, Sue
  • advertisement
  • I have been pushed back today until late afternoon.. I have to be there at 430, then the excitement begins at 6pm. Soooo not looking forward to that. Wait wait wait...lol. Has really thrown all plans off, scrambling at the last moment. I guess there was an urgent case, so I hope that person is ok!
  • Normally the more complicated cases are scheduled first, in case they go long. So if you are given an afternoon slot, that's a good sign that your NS doesn't expect any problems.

"C"
  • I was the first patient of the day. 7AM in surgery 5 1/2 hours and don't remember much about recovery. All I know was they were pumping blood back into me and my mouth was so dry. Had to wait for a room, finally got one around 5 PM. The single most upsetting part of the whole day was moving from the gurney to my bed...OMG that was rough.

I was up walking 2 hours later...slowly and with a walker but I was walking. Had a 5 day stay.

It's been 10 weeks and lots of ups and downs but going strong.
  • advertisement
  • Shadow, I am so sorry your case is so late. Do you get to eat breakfast at least? I would have been frustrated with that. How many hours is your surgery expected to take? I was told 5-7, and it was 5, and I only had a one level fusion. It surprises me that some people like TerriJV's surgery was only 2 hours for 2 levels. If your surgery is long, it seems strange to start so late. Maybe you'll get lucky and get moved up a little. Good luck, I will say a prayer for you that you get through tomorrow with little stress and a successful surgery. >:D< >:D< >:D< Sue
  • My first one was 7.30 am (4.25 hour surgery). First surgery of the morning, which meant I did not have to wait during the day so that helped my anxiety and also meant that the operating theatre was at its cleanest (less risk of infection - yep, its true in many hospitals, the ORs get a thorough cleaning overnight - more so than between surgeries, so I am told).

My second surgery was at 5.30 pm (2.5 hour surgery), and my anxiety during the day waiting was horrible.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• but my Drs surgery slot is in the arvo so I went into surgery at 11.30am and came out the next day- not that I remember as I got to sleep the night through. They must have transferred me while I was asleep.
    I was the only patient of the day :))( had the surgeons undivided attention as he had the morning off.

I got to have an early breaky -just Tea and toast and I was told to keep drinking till 8.30.

Yes I too was told to bathe the night before as well as in the morning.
    Sara O:)
  • Hiya
    My operation was scheduled for 8.30 am.The nurse woke me at 5.30 am to prepare me for surgery, i was taken for a shower, then took back to my bed and was told not to sit on the bed, and had to sit on the chair. I am not happy with the whole experience anyway. :(

Angie x
  • I was told it would take 4-6 hours. Yeah Im surprised too. The waiting is horrible. I slept for 5 hours and now have the whole day ahead to occupy, ughhh. Nervous as a turkey right b4 Thanksgiving!!!!
advertisement