Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Thanksgiving Dinner, what is yours?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Hello Everyone,
I had a massive craving the other day for my traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I realize that all of you who do not live in the USA don't celebrate this but for those who do, I would enjoy knowing what is "your" traditional dinner. I've noticed over the years that many families don't always serve the same dishes as I do. Also, what is your absolute favorite dish and what is your specialty dish? All of mine is listed below. Very traditional! Plus, everything has to be made from scratch that goes on my table, that's just me.

On my menu I serve of course turkey, honey glazed ham, mashed potatos, fresh green beans with bacon that's cooked for hours, my famous sweet potato casserole, homemade cranberry-orange sauce, stuffing, gravy, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie and apple pie. A newer tradition is in honor of my mother in law who passed away some years ago and my husband loved this, a macaroni salad.

My fav and best dish is my sweet potato casserole with a struedal topping. Nobody wanted me to change from the usual version of candied sweet potatos with marshmallows but I finally got my way and came up with this dish. Now everyone always wants to know if I'm serving it every year! What a difference a dish makes!

So, what are you serving this year?

And BTW, after my dish was such a hit, I bought recipe books for all of my sisters, put this one into it and gave them all a copy for Christmas.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm so hungry now :(
  • I am getting hungry just reading this..sounds yummy.
    I like most of what you mention for Thanksgiving and it always tastes better if mom cooks. I am a good cook but I hate the clean up part.. :$ .jade
  • advertisement
  • My sweet potato casserole has a "struesel" topping, not struedel! And I have a vague feeling that I have left something out.
  • I hate the clean up! :''( X(
  • Yep, I got hungry just thinking about it while I typed! I feel like I can actually smell the dishes right now, yum..........

BTW, I can't believe how fast the two of you appeared! :D
  • advertisement
  • no pecan pie? And you're in Texas? shame, shame!
  • You talk about food and I'm there. :D
  • I'm a "turkey baby" My mom sat through Thanksgiving dinner in labor, and didn't tell anyone!

All that you listed above are my favorites!! Especially anything pumpkin... Pie, bread, even pumpkin cheesecake, which in now my special dish...

No one in my husbands family likes sweet potatoes, so I cook them myself. My mom always made great traditional candied kind with the marshmallows. I'm working on my own version. I like the sweet potato casserole from Boston Market. Jewels, you should send me your recipe... I'd love to try it this year.

It's not Thanksgiving without the Turkey. We usually have 3 or 4 Turkey dinners. One with the parents, one with friends, sometimes with friends parents, and usually afterwards, I make my own, for the three of us. Even a week later.

I could do Thanksgiving dinner every month!!! My All time favorite day of the year!!!
  • As i am from the UK. I didnt know what darn meant well i do in english it means to sew socks, but american it means sumething else. Well you know what i say "GET THE DARN DISHWASER TO DO IT" lol =)) :))(

Angie x

Oops have i just swore :$
  • Christmas we have traditional turkey, i always cook far to much. we have turkey, stuffing,sausage and bacon wraps, mash potato, roasted potato, carrots, peas, sprouts, brocculi, runner beans, roasted parsnips. i plate the meat then the veggies are served in serving dishes, they all tuck in. Then for pudding they have a choice of trifle, xmas pudding and custard/rum sauce/brandy sauce, apple pie and ice cream, and to finish i do home made mince pies with liqueur coffee. They all moan its far to much but want to keep coming back each year. But not doing christmas lunch this year for everyone, because of my health .

Angie x
advertisement