Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Success Stories?

Comments

• Patricia-
    I am so glad you have shared your story. I can tell you are very strong which is great you have to be to survive. I hope that you keep getting better and better with time. I know healing takes time and you have to be patient!

We all have good days and bad hopefully more good. I love your quote it is so TRUE!!
  • Clarissa-
    Thank you so much for your kind words, I truely appreciate it!
    I am hoping for all my pains to be taken away by this surgery I am positive they will be.
    I haven't talked to anyone in person that has had this surgery I would love to sit down with them and listen to their story.
    I have a video of the ACDF surgery I will be having, it is an amazing procedure. The wonders of surgery! I absolutely can't wait for my day!
  • advertisement
  • I think this is a very subjective topic. I've been a member of this community for 2 years now, and so to some I am sure I would be considered one of those horror stories. Heck, even to me I think it is a horror story. But even with everything that has happened, I still consider my story a success.

I went into the surgery with so much pain that I was unable to continue on. I wasn't taking care of my children properly, wasn't doing my job as well as I should have, wasn't being a good wife, had no social life because of the pain, etc. Surgery was supposed to decompress the nerve roots causing my pain. That was done, so yes, it was a success. Unfortunately I continue having problems, but I do have a better quality of life now than I had previously. I am able to function without being fuzzy on drugs, I am able to laugh once in a while, I am able to play with my children again. Maybe not at the level I want to, but at least I am functioning somewhat.

I think if one goes into spine surgery with the assumption that you will have zero pain afterwards, you are setting yourself up for a big let down. My doctor said he will not operate solely for pain relief, because there are no guarantees. What he can guarantee is that he can decompress the nerve roots causing the pain, and he can take the pressure off of the spinal cord so that no further damage is done. When he accomplishes those things, surgery is a success.

Will I ever be normal again? Nope. But at least I can think of something other than pain 24/7, and that is a success.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Oh, Dem, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how I'd feel if mine kept getting delayed, so frustrated. And, like you said, it's not just the surgery, it's work, rides, recovery, everything. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and with you).

Just LOVE your positive attitude - that's gonna help you heal faster than anything.
  • dem, I'm lucky enough to be able to talk with a guy who had the same procedure I'm having done by the SAME SURGEON. How cool is that? I have about a million questions I want to ask. I know his was a complete success and was back to work in a month. Dem, if I actually knew this person, I'd ask him to call you, too. :)))

Last night, I was feeling so good that I turned on some music real loud and danced around while I handwashed some pots and pans. Boy, do I feel lousy today. That's one thing I really hate is that you feel so good you overdo it and really pay for it the next day. #o

Neck, you bring up a very good point about the assumption of being pain-free. I think that's a great way to think of it. I don't think I've ever had the level of pain you describe, so I can understand why you consider yours a success because you've had a certain degree of relief. I wish for you continued healing and more happy and hopeful days! >:D<
  • advertisement
  • I am having the darnest time trying to get my insurance to even talk to me about coverage and authrizations! Even my doctors office isn't getting any response.

I know that if you want something done, you have to do it yourself! That is what I intend to do one way or another I will get the andswers I need.
    Laziness is one of my pet peeves and I believe someone at my insurance company has dropped the ball and is taken a nap! =)) They can't get me down either. Tests and Surgery will go on. One way or another!
  • Wow, I would love to find someone to talk like you have. You are very lucky!!
    I am hoping for just a one level surgery on C6. My doctor seems to think I will be back at work pretty quickly.
    He does the surgery on Wednesday's only so he said with you positive attitude and your way of thinking I am sure you will able to go back to work the following Monday! Which is awesome! He doesn't use collars or neck braces! Says that collars just makes your neck weak!.

My doctor is very positive also so that helps me right along. You knowI bet I will be at work the following Monday if it is indeed only a level 1.

I will keep posting here, hoping between both of us we can spread being positive and help others.
    Like I said before having a positive attitude is half the battle!
  • She is eight days post op C-4-5-6 anterior fusion, (plate screws and glue) and one of the most active physical women I know. To begin with she has three horses and plans to trail ride and continue teaching. Is this feasible to any of you?

Recovery is going well and the initial pains are subsiding. I found another string here that was nothing but post op horror stories. I searched and found this string.

• Irishmare, I haven't been on here in a very long time, a couple of years, and isn't it odd that you should post on this thread the very day I decided to pop back in for a visit.

I don't know your friend's story, so I can't really say what her recovery will be like and if she will do the things she did before. I'm sure you can find so many varied recovery stories on this forum which can make it very confusing. We're all different. But I can tell you about myself.

When I first found this site, I really needed it. It was information, friendship, people who were going through exactly what I was going through. After surgery I continued to improve, slowly, and as I improved I didn't need as much help. My recovery was not easy and somewhere on this website, in one of these old threads, is a link to the old, previous website (pre-2008) where I had documented those painful days of recovery. As I healed, physically and mentally, my life became full again with family, work, and new adventures. I didn't hang around, I moved forward with my life. And for this reason you may not find a lot of success stories on this website, but that's not to say they don't exist.

Possibilites for a pain-free, "normal" future exist, never lose hope!

• I had a one-level 6-7 ACDF 4 weeks and 2 days ago, and I am probably on the far end of the success bell-curve.

I had severe pain and weakness prior to the surgery for a couple of months.

I was walking on the first day, back at work (just a half day) the following week (surgery on Wednesday, work on the next Tuesday) and have been completely pain free at some point during week 3. My surgeon was one of the no neck brace, get back to normal as soon as you can club.

Some people definitely have issues, but there are success stories too - my snowboarding season is done for now, but I will be back out there next year doing normal stuff for sure. My only problem right now is trying to force myself to take it easy for the next couple of months so that I don't screw up the healing.

I only really discovered this forum after I had the surgery - I am not sure I would have posted at all were it not for this specific thread, so there may be a few of us out here.
advertisement