Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Medication Impact on Driving and Working

advertisement

Comments

• With as many drugs as I take even if i'm not on anything when I get into an accident any blood test will still show positive for opiates.

Unless they can tell medically ( Testing ) if I am actually under the influence at the time of the accident i'm hosed either way because I will always test positive.

So if I get in an accident and have nothing currently effecting my driving yet I test possitive for opiates am I liable? Or if i'm actully under the effect whats to stop me from saying I took my last pill 6 hours ago. Can they tell?

Unless I am really blotto I don't see how they could accurately make any determination. Do they make a test that determins opiate content in your system thats accurate? If not they would have to rely on the old walk the line and touch your nose tests.

And yes I do drive on opiates. Just carefully.

Nightfall

• I was told not to drive or work on narcotics. I'm an RN and because of my feelings for this I will not work. Of course because of my good benefits I'm able to have this leisure. If I worked at a job where I had no benefits , perhaps things would be different. Keep the peace medical people we're in this together. No physician I know shouts down another Dr. so let's have respect amongst ourselves. of course i came in late and don't know either side . I hope things are clarified now. Take care and one love. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Nightfall said:
    With as many drugs as I take even if i'm not on anything when I get into an accident any blood test will still show positive for opiates.
    I don't understand. If you're "not on anything," why do you think you would test positive?

If you took your last pill 6 hours ago, then you are on something. Every medication has a half life, which they can use to determine how long it takes for our bodies to eliminate the medication entirely. I don't think there's a single oral narcotic pain medication with a half life that would result in complete elimination in 6 hours.

If you've taken medication that hasn't been metabolized and eliminated, you will test positive. It's still there, so you are still under its influence.

If you're truly "not on anything," your body will eliminate the drug based on the half life, and you will test negative. Because it's not there, you will no longer be under its influence.

• BionicWoman said:
    Nightfall said:
    With as many drugs as I take even if i'm not on anything when I get into an accident any blood test will still show positive for opiates.
    I don't understand. If you're "not on anything," why do you think you would test positive?

If you took your last pill 6 hours ago, then you are on something. Every medication has a half life, which they can use to determine how long it takes for our bodies to eliminate the medication entirely. I don't think there's a single oral narcotic pain medication with a half life that would result in complete elimination in 6 hours.

If you've taken medication that hasn't been metabolized and eliminated, you will test positive. It's still there, so you are still under its influence.

If you're truly "not on anything," your body will eliminate the drug based on the half life, and you will test negative. Because it's not there, you will no longer be under its influence.

As far as I know most narcotics will still be detectable long after they have cleared your system. If they can detect illicit drugs long after you have used them then I would assume the same holds true for opiates.

Any experts want to shed some light on this?

Nightfall
  • Answering my own question. Did some research. looks like codiene and other opiates show up in your blood for well past 4 days after use.

So if I get into an accident 8 hours after taking 10mg of percoset and I get a blood test thats positive for opiates whats my liability and what can be proved?

Nightfall
  • advertisement
  • How long the drug stays in your system (causing a positive test result) is completely predictable, based on the half life of the drug and the dose taken.

The mean half life of oxycodone is 3.51 hours, so if you get in an accident 8 hours after taking 10mg of percocet, the drug will still be in your system, thus you are still under the influence.
  • BionicWoman said:
    How long the drug stays in your system (causing a positive test result) is completely predictable, based on the half life of the drug and the dose taken.

The mean half life of oxycodone is 3.51 hours, so if you get in an accident 8 hours after taking 10mg of percocet, the drug will still be in your system, thus you are still under the influence.
    8 hours after I have taken 1 10mg percoset I will without a doubt not be under the influence. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours out of a percoset. By your own reasoning the half life is 3.51 and should clear my system within 7.20 hours.

The question still remains. How can they accuratly tell what I took and when I took it. They cannot. Say I was an addict and took 8 pills 24 hours ago what would my blood show now? How long does it take an addict to metabolize that much percoset? How long does it take a non addict. Way way way too many variables.

So I have not taken a pain killer in 4 days. I get in an accident. I test positive for opiates. whats the liability?

What determins my level of incapacitation? Blood test? If I am already tolerant 1 10mg percoset will be like i'm taking a baby aspirin. I'f I have never taken one pefore I'm going to be messed up.

How can you say the lenth a drug stays in your system is predictable or for that matter the effect it may have on your system. Each of us is different. Body mass and the rate it metabolizes is anything but predictable. The wiki on Oxycodone lists the half life at 3-4.5 . Thats pretty variable.

Its kind of like a 300lb man having 3 alchoholic drinks with a 100lb man. who do you think is going to get the dui?

If anyone knows of a blood test that can tell what I took, when I took it and at what quantity's difinitively. Also factor my tolerance and the speed its going through my system. I really don't think thats going to happen.

Nightfall
  • This thread has been great lol. looked up the liability where I live.

§28-1381(a)(1): It is a misdemeanor to drive under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

In order to properly issue the citation, the police must have probable cause to believe the drug in your system is impairing your ability to drive to the slightest degree.

It is very uncommon for the police to charge a person in this situation unless they believe the person overdosed on their prescription or over the counter medication and they cannot safely operate a motor vehicle as a result.

§28-1381(a)(3): It is a misdemeanor to drive with the metabolite of a illicit drug in your system.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The key here is probable cause. Unless i'm actually impaired and driving really poorly I doubt this will be an issue.

The funny part of the drug law here is with illicit drugs. If I smoked pot 20 days ago and get pulled over for dui and the blood tests positive for pot ( metabolite )I get charged with the drug dui also.

Nightfall

• You're not calculating half life correctly.

This is SO not the way they'd calculate an actual drug level, but an example:

You start with 10mg. After 3.51 hours, half would be gone, so there would be 5mg left. On another 3.51 hours, that 5mg would drop by half to 2.5mg. Another 3.51 hours, you'd be down to 1.25, then .0625 and so on until it's completely gone. You're up to 14 hours right there, with a long ways to go before you hit zero.

As far as liability, the question is answered by the fact that most localities don't have an established legal limit for narcotic drugs. In most localities, legal or illegal is defined simply by the presence or absence of narcotics, which essentially sets the legal limit at none.

With your alcohol consumers, it doesn't matter if it's a 300lb man or a 100lb woman - if their blood alcohol or breathalizer test indicates a level greater than the legal limit, they'll both get the DUI.

• BionicWoman said:
    You're not calculating half life correctly.

This is SO not the way they'd calculate an actual drug level, but an example:

You start with 10mg. After 3.51 hours, half would be gone, so there would be 5mg left. On another 3.51 hours, that 5mg would drop by half to 2.5mg. Another 3.51 hours, you'd be down to 1.25, then .0625 and so on until it's completely gone. You're up to 14 hours right there, with a long ways to go before you hit zero.

As far as liability, the question is answered by the fact that most localities don't have an established legal limit for narcotic drugs. In most localities, legal or illegal is defined simply by the presence or absence of narcotics, which essentially sets the legal limit at none.

With your alcohol consumers, it doesn't matter if it's a 300lb man or a 100lb woman - if their blood alcohol or breathalizer test indicates a level greater than the legal limit, they'll both get the DUI.

The state i'm from its the metabolite of a illicit drug in your system that gets you an instant dui. I'm assuming this is because its not measurable in any sense of the word.

Legal drugs on the other hand fall under regular Dui laws. police must have probable cause to believe the drug in your system is impairing your ability to drive to the slightest degree.

No where on the web can I find a referance where ocycodone lasts longer than 5 hours. Not a one. By your math the more Oxycodone I take the longer I will be high lol. Somehow my real life results seem to differ greatly.

If you don't believe wieght has an impact on alchohol consumption I really don't know what to say.

Lets just say we can agree to disagree. :)

Nightfall

advertisement