Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

does aqua therapy work?

dgardineerddgardineer Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Alternative Treatments
does it really fix anything or is it just putting off the
inevitable SURGERY.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! :H i only have good things to say about water therapy. it is easy on your joints and a painless workout. have a good attitude and go in thinking it will work and you will avoid surgery!! you need to do everything you can to avoid that! if you find it fails atleast you gave it your best shot and can feel more positive in your decision to have surgery. good luck and it is also good for the waistline!! Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    Aqua Therapy is so beneficial. I've been using Aqua Therapy for the past 3 years and I owe a lot to that treatment to help me get past some obstacles.
    The theory and facts behind Aqua Therapy are so sound. You can perform mild to medium exercises that put almost zero additional strain on your body.
    Some folks that have seen people doing Aqua Therapy would comment on how simple it appears. Its not until you actually do some of this before you can feel the benefits.
    In the beginning, I almost gave up on Aqua Therapy. I like others just thought it was a simple task, but I never realized on how much it took out of me. For the first two weeks, I almost gave up on it. I called my doctor to tell them it was making me worse and I was planning to stop. Lucky for me, I had a doctor that would not allow me to do that. So after 3 weeks, I started to see the gain.

Will Aqua Therapy prevent you from having Surgery?

I dont think that that the water exercise will actually prevent a potential surgery. But in directly, it can do so much help that your body , along with medications and other conservative treatments might correct the situation

For me, Aqua Therapy should be on the list that EVERY Spinal Patient has in terms of regaining your quality of life.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • advertisement
  • I understand the benefits of the therapy who can't use a little core strenthening. My thinking is that if i'm gonna need the surgery anyway why not just get it and use the aqua therapy as part of my rehab.I did physical therapy for a month last yr. and that did nothing so i'm a little leary but i'm gonna try it anyway. thanks
    A lot depends on your insurance coverage.
    I apologize since I do not know WHEN/IF you have surgery scheduled for. As long as you are in pain now, it would make sense to start doing something to make you more comfortable.
  • Hi,

I don't know what injuries or conditions you have, but my first thoughts go to disc issues when I hear the word surgery. As others have said, I don't think aqua therapy will prevent surgery if there is permenant damage to discs or joints/ligaments, etc. but as far as giving you some help with managing pain and strengthening your core muscles, it has no equal in my book.

It's low impact and can be soothing (as long as the water temp is not too cold.) I use a facility that keeps the pool at about 98 degrees. Almost like a slightly warm bath. If it were any colder, I think I would have a problem. My issues are muscular and cold water tends to make me tense up too much for it to have any benefit.

I would highly recommend it as a pain management tool. And if your pain issues cause you to have less mobility than normal, it's a safer, more comfortable form of exercise than standard physical therapy.

Best of luck. Hope this helps a bit. Take care, Mitzi
  • advertisement
  • I haven't talked directly with you in a long time hu? I'm doing so much better now that I'm almost at my 1 year anniversary (Feb.8th) of my 3 level fusion. Boy, it's been hard, rough and one day at a time... And I'm still healing. But definately better.

My question to you is, I've been thinking alot about water therapy, but keep forgetting to bring it up to my PT. I've really been wanting to do it, I think it would help emmincely with strengthening all those tissues back there, AND my leg muscles (and arms)that have become weaker due to my surgery. (and of course laying around more and not being as active as before) Is this something I should seriously look into?

We have a local swimming pool up here at our only School, but it's kept really cold due to our swim team. So it would have to be done someplace else. Should I contact my Health care provider and see if they have water therapy somewhere? Thanks
    benefits in using a therapeutic pool is the water temperature.
    Different states may have different regulations , but here in Connecicut, these pools need to be over 92 degrees and MUST have 1 Therapist and 1 Technician available at all times. If the water temperature is below that, the Therapist and Technician requirement is waived. But believe me, when water temperature goes below 90 when you are doing Aqua Therapy you know about it. Many school or other local pool temperatures are from 78 to 84. Besides having the higher temperature is so much more comfortable, and it important in keeping your muscles warm, so that they do not cramp up. The pool I use, the maximum depth is 4 feet, so you spend most of the time with a portion of your body out of water.
    Call your health care provider and ask where is such a facility. Many YMCA's have similar pools, but from my experiences, its all scheduled time and sometimes that is difficult.

Good luck, I still swear by my aqua therapy
  • :) hi! :H i have a neighborhood pool down the street from me and can use it all summer long. when winter comes, the water is just to cold and i move to a therapeutic pool alittle bit further away. ~X( during this time i have a doctor's note to use the pool and pay a fee. i would love to swim close to my house year round but the cold water causes too much tension and extra pain in the long run. ~X( good luck in whatever pool you wind up in! Jenny :)
  • Hey Dgardineer!

I'm in the Lancaster area. Just started water walking. The first day I only had a 1/2 hour and I thought it would be a waste of time. I just walked forward and backwards. It felt like a stupid, useless waste of time. Ha! Until I came out of the water!! As I was walking up the stairs, out of the water, gravity hit me, I was very thankful that I only spent a 1/2 walking. To me, it feels like water walking is enhancing my time spent. Like 30 minutes of walking in water is equal to 60 to 90 minutes out of water.

I hear and understand your frustration with putting surgery off, I'm in the same boat. Both my L3-L4 and L5-S1 discs were crushed but my insurance would only allow one to be treated at a time. So my neuro did one. Now I have go through the whole healing process and rehab, only to have to do it all over again. It's a waste of my time and insurance money. The insurance company is actually incurring more expense than if they would have allowed the neuro to do both discs at the same time. And my life is on hold. And I live on drugs. Not much of a life.

Go play in the water, it's doing more than you think.

EM
  • I started doing water therapy and at first i just moved around in the water gently and slowly. However as time passed I got to do more and I find it is really good for me. Any pain usually gets less or goes in the water anyway and my feeling is that it does help me.

I have not had surgery and have and still am doing everything I can to not have surgery, but a friend of mine had to have back surgery and was advised to do water therapy for several weeks before and after surgery ( under docs orders). In fact she keeps doing it on her own even a year afterwards as it helps her so much.

Best to have really warm water if possible, I found my public swimming baths too cold so had to join a gym when doing my own sessions. Neurosurgeon wanted me to do 3 -4 times a week inthe pool but the only issue i have is that I have very sensitive skin so i can t go as much as that but doing the other exercises I have as well really helps so I have land and water exercises so to speak!
advertisement