Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cadillac of Pain Meds? Opana ER

advertisement

Comments

• first off *please* don't give your meds to anyone else, even if they have a prescription for the same med. Dosages differ, and sometimes people DO get hurt, sick, or die.

Again I absolutely don't condone sharing meds EVER; likely your friend took the 1st 10mgs, expected a buzz or something, and then the same with the 20mg tab. Opana takes 3 to 7 days to build up in your system and reach effective, therapeutic levels for pain relief, so they would likely not have experienced such a thing. Please don't share your meds ever, it will always be frowned upon here in a very serious way; let her get her own help from her doctor to treat her neck pain, and keep the Opana for yourself.

Sincerely,

JWM
  • no offense but holding out for four days so you can quadruple your dose is a self medicating behaviour, and in this case obviously for the purpose of feeling the buzz from the percocet. This binge/starvation cycle is typical of those who use pain meds abusively. Percocet is great used as prescribed. If you're having trouble managing your meds, I'm sure many of us here can give some pointers; we are all vulnerable to the nice feelings some of these meds give us. Good luck.

JWM
  • advertisement
  • I'm hving surgery for pinched nerves in my right hand. My doctor said it is a painful surgery. I have always been on demeral 100mg after surgerys . This is a new med I'm takeing. He does not care about the tolerance i Have to even to oxycontin. So she put me on this. Its like taking a motrin. It does not work. I told her but she nervous about medicating me.I am on a lot of pills I can see her point. But this med does not work . Tell them to use it. Maybe they will understand.
  • Can a mod PLEASE close this thread? It keeps getting hijacked repeatedly for random unrelated topics to the original post.

BTW, Opana is NOT indicated for use in post-operative settings (acute pain), and as such would likely seem like taking nothing at all compared to the Demerol 100mg mentioned. It is only indicated for use in long-term, chronic pain, and it takes some time, a week or so I believe, until it builds up in your body.

JWM
  • JWM said:
    please don't post misleading statements in a thread like this. It has been proven multiple times that the terrible bioavailability of Opana makes it a poor choice for intense chronic pain. Did you read the whole thread? If drug companies were so smart and so were doctors, then we would have 160mg Opana (and stronger), which might actually help someone, and kcroz wouldn't have had to re-educate her own doctor on this topic.

Do us a favor and don't be another 'fighty know-it-all' about opana and oxy; there were at least one or two in both of the other threads I was posting in about the same topic, and your posts just serve to misinform people.

Please keep your opinions on topic and relevant. Narcotic medications are frequently compared against each other to gauge strength by milligrams based on the standard of 1mg of morphine as the baseline. These drugs all have something in common; they are Opiates or Opioids, derivatives of Opium or synthetics. Your blood pressure med example, as well as your valium/xanax example, both fail to have any such system of measurement relating them to each other, and as such present no relevant analogy whatsoever.

FACT: The milligram dosage listed for your medication is the TOTAL amount, in milligrams, of the active ingredient in your tablet. It does not, has not, and unfortunately may never, ever include bioavailability info.

Please post a new thread if you have a problem with with way people think drugs work, and cite some proof as well, with links. Just leave this topic alone; I don't want to have to prove it for the 20th time. Please.

Wow, have to say you are rather well informed I am impressed!

I have been a disabled Teamster for 10yrs as I was run completely over; the whole pain med thing sucks. The terrible treatment of people who truly need pain relief is due to the misdeeds of those whom are "medication seekers".

I would love to see on any pain management blog about simply what med works better/best when it comes to severe chronic pain management. As many ramble about their favorite med and post minutia or any soundbyte they may have heard regarding such med.

The pharmacology and "bioavailability", etc; etc; are literally meters over my head.
    I have been recieving pain meds for years and am only concerned with what works. I understand the need to switch medications after prolonged use of any one type to another but would enjoy hearing as what worked best and for how long it worked.
    For example I have been taking opana ER 40mg qid for 2 yrs, when first started it took about a month before I enjoyed a decent modicum of relief but now it no longer works. I want to inform the Dr as what may be a better alternative from a patients perspective but all I hear is what seems to be a "mine is bigger than yours" gripefest.
    In closing if anyone (such as JWM) can help, please do so and stop complaining as there are people such as myself who can truly benefit from your expertise.
    Thank You
  • advertisement
  • JWM said:
    first off *please* don't give your meds to anyone else, even if they have a prescription for the same med. Dosages differ, and sometimes people DO get hurt, sick, or die.

Again I absolutely don't condone sharing meds EVER; likely your friend took the 1st 10mgs, expected a buzz or something, and then the same with the 20mg tab. Opana takes 3 to 7 days to build up in your system and reach effective, therapeutic levels for pain relief, so they would likely not have experienced such a thing. Please don't share your meds ever, it will always be frowned upon here in a very serious way; let her get her own help from her doctor to treat her neck pain, and keep the Opana for yourself.

Sincerely,

JWM

After all the information out there and reported problems we all have experienced just obtaining meds this is exactly the stereotype we all encounter.
    To read someone "sharing" their Class II meds with anyone is unbelievable!!!
    I wonder if they think that the warning that it is against the federal law to do so is for everyone but them. It is preciely this behavoir that makes it so hard on those who need the med. I am sure if that person truely needed the meds they could not afford to "share it".
  • I too have been on high does of opiods. The miligrams dont really matter to me, tho I try to keep them a low as possible.
    Opana is strong don't believe the hype. Coming off oxycontin even to methadone you would be ill. My advise find something else like meperidine, levorphanol, etc.
    I was on 240mgs of oxycodone 10 years ago and the best thing I did was change that; was very ill. With all meds it's best to rotate them with other opiods.
    Once you get past 120mgs of anything it's almost time, but I am not a Dr just my own experiences thats all.
  • If you have the interest or time let me know I have been on everything from A to Z and High Doses, tho never drooled.Opana worked for me but then stopped after 2 yrs trying to find something else but proceeding with caution.
    Opana Er 40 mgs qid
  • hit button 2x sorry
  • My Dr recently switched me from 6 percocet 10/325's a day 2 Opana ER 20mg 2x a day and oxycodeone IR 15mg 3x a day for breakthrough. I have not noticed any real difference from the percocet...is this normal? I thought I would get better pain relief...???
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.