Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cadillac of Pain Meds? Opana ER

advertisement

Comments

• Hey,

As a lot people have said and in my own personal experience opana doesnt seem to work all that well as a pain med. It does work for some but i was taking 20mg 3x a day with 10mg norco for BT and it didnt seem to be doing much of anything. When i switched to 30mg ms-contin 3x day it was a world of difference. If it does work out for you that is good but I just havent found anything good about the expensive little pill..
  • i had a scs after my fusion at l-4-5 i had it taken out the cord slid down,was arching my spine would fall on floor when turned on,then went on 4 percs a day, now on fent patch it works good pills are hard on my liver. Rick ncpa
  • advertisement
  • I've had 5 back surgeries with one being a fusion. I'm currently taking 60mg. of morphine sulfate 3x a day. I was thinking about trying to switch to Opana because of the positive reviews. Does anyone have an idea what doseage they would put me on to start? I also take 30mg. oxycodone for break through. Thanks in advance
  • Opana er is half dilaudid half Oxycodone. I've been taking it for about 8 months now and I'm not too sure how well it works. I will say this, I was sick and missed my regular appt and the pain set in so bad, I wanted to die, I took 2 of my 5mg opana and it rescued me from the pain. Not 100% but enough that I can get up out of bed and not feel like I have been hit by a train.
    Just looking for support. Desperate and lonely!
  • Greetings! I am a newbie and this is my first post :) I have had two spinal fusion surgeries, am fused from T2-L3, with bulging in the lumbar and degenerative disc disease throughout my entire spine. They anticipate lumbar fusion within the next year and eventual cervical fusion. I am obviously trying to avoid all of that! Anyway, I have been on Opana ER for the past seven years or so. I definitely suffered when they changed the formulation and I believe it's come to be pretty much worthless due to my tolerance - same dosage for the past five years. I am looking to switch to the Oxycontin ER however I am concerned about potential withdrawals - can anyone shine a little light on that for me based upon your own experience? THANK YOU!
    Fusey75
  • advertisement
  • Your doctor should easily be able to convert from one drug to another. The conversion should minimize any withdrawal, since you would just be changing one medication for another. PM doctors do this all of the time.

• After 2 Cervical/Fushions, 10 Lumbar Surgeries w/Fushions/cage & a Reverse R Shoulder Replacement with being on the Oxycontin 40mg for 10yrs 3x day it was no longer covered by my insurance. I was switched to Opana 40mg 2x day and I thought I was dying. I have never ever been so sick. I lost 23 lbs in 2 months and was in constant pain. My breakthru meds weren't helping at all. My Dr. did get it approved thru my insurance to go back on the Oxycontin for 1 yr. I guess then I will have to go thru this again unless it is added back to the formulary list. I hope that it is, 2 of the Opana is right much more costwise than 3 of my OC's. I am so thankful to be back on my regular meds with my pain at least tolerable and to have somewhat of a life.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,661
    for those many years is not an overall good thing.

I am not questioning your pain levels. But 40mg of Oxycontin 3x daily for 10 years is almost beyond normal. I know of patients with much more severe situations and that level of Oxycontin, no doctor would permit.

You can look at my surgical record, no need to display it here, but my doctor worked on a way to reduce the amount of Oxycontin over the years. It just wasnt healthy for the total body. We went from 40 to 30 to 20 to 10 and eventually to 0....

Between proper physical and aqua therapy, acupuncture, deep tissue massage, there is no way I would need 40mg of Oxy.
    What type of treatments have yo had over the year to try to reduce the amount of pain medications that you need?

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • sandi123ssandi123 Posts: 736
    edited 06/29/2015 - 2:55 AM
    When I was on Oxycontin, I found that it was okay at one dose for a couple of months, then it quickly no longer was as effective, and required a dose adjustment. I decided to get off it, and tried other meds. I don't know how often you are using the breakthrough meds and how regularly or what strength they are, but it may be that if you are taking 120 mg of OC , and taking your breakthrough meds on any regular basis, that all that did was raise the baseline amount of opiates in your system and when your doctor converted to Opana, he didn't include the breakthrough meds into the conversion.
    Breakthrough meds, taken on a regular basis, or even too frequently become useless, since your body expects a certain level of opiates.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.