Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Leg Numbness Recovery...or not?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
;))

Following my recent revision PLIF, I had the removal of an interbody cage which was resting nicely in my spinal canal compressing nerves. Gave me numbness in lower leg.
Afetr my surgery 6 days ago, the numbness remains. the docs told me I had a lot of nerve irritation and the dura had been torn (subsequently repaired)

I woke expecting MAJOR pins and needles but there is no chnage at all. This rather surprised me.

The docs explained that pins needles / numbness was the same thing on nerve pathway and pain was different. Pain = nerve irritation in spianl column and must rest if i get that. They explianed it may or not recover.

My legs both go numb from time to time as well.

It is too early for me to comment on back pain, feels same right now.

MY question is if anyone else has had a receovering nerve path like this and what can i expect?

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I am having a similar experience. There is still some pain in my legs, but nothing compared to pre surgery. I have been told it may be a year or so before they can determine permanant damage or not. I had 3 roots impinged and really irritated plus scar tissue putting pressure on the herve after the root.

I feel many time better and am starting to see muscle rebuild where it had atrophied. The pins and needles is gone as is the radiating pain. The only thing I get now is in to the buttock when I overdo it; correctable very quickly by just laying down and getting gravity off the spine.

You are not alone..... Best wishes to you,

• A year....wow thats ages! I guess my 6 days post op is well early then! =))

Still good to know. The PT said the docs never tell us the bare truth and i know that the recovery will be slow and "iffy".

Do you think it could get worse? :&
  • advertisement
  • I hope it doesnt get worse. I would imagine if one over does it, it could get worse because the nerves are still being irritated.

The docs really can't give a straight answer because every single one of us will heal differently, and some not at all. You should start feeling a difference in the next couple of weeks; hopefully less pain, more strength, and longer endurance.

Take it easy, but keep active.

sean
  • I heard that it could take up to year for the nerve to recovering following surgery.

Is this true? :(

• No fusion for me, but I have had 2 laminectomies.
    1st was L5-S1 Healed in about 6 weeks. I had extreme pain in my left leg, to the point that I couldn't walk more than 10 feet. After surgery I felt great.
    2nd was 5 yrs. later at L4-L5 had no pain with this one just completely numb from knee to toes. I am now 13 months out of surgery and my foot has just begun to get feeling back still get a few aches in my calf area. It depends on each person as to how you heal. My chiropracter says it won't take more than a year but I think he's wrong as I feel and hope that i'm still healing. Keep yourself positive and do what your suppose to it will come along.
    Pains and numbness are part of the healing. At times you'll have pains you never had before and wonder "whats going on" it happens and is normal.
    Goodluck and keep positive......

Rick
  • advertisement
  • Before I had my surgery my doctor told me the same thing it could take a year for the nerve to regenerate. I had a L4S/L5S1 microdiscectomy and, a dropped foot. After the surgery I instance relief and, I was very lucky. I think it is possible to have the nerve regenerate but, it could take sometime. I wish you the best and, Ihope you get much better
  • I had my second surgery five weeks ago today, and had major nerve impingement (almost total numbness, really frightening). Pain was relieved immediately after surgery...I was lucky for a second time. But the numbness remains - from posterior to back of thigh to calf down to toes (L 4-5 was the culprit...so I think this is L 5? anyway).

My doc says many months, possibly longer. I've had the burning pain, the shock pain, the bee stings and ant bites and the cramping feeling (?). One thing I've noticed...I could be crazy (likely) but each time I have a "phase" of this pain, when it finally leaves me, I feel a little less numb. Is this regeneration? It's so strange. My new "thing" is an itching sensation, esp on the bottom of my foot. Comes and goes, annoying but def not painful.

This nerve stuff is really freaky stuff. The pain is the pain - this is so different. Anyone else had the experience of the intense sensation and then an improvement? It's subtle...very slow.

Best,
    radiogirl
  • I couldn't stand or walk for more then 5 minutes before my legs and feet were totally numb. I got to the stage where I was afraid to walk in case I lost control.
    I had some pain but the worst symptom for me was the numbness which was so disableling.
    I had had this numbness for a good 18 months before I had surgery.

Since surgery in May, I have had minimal numbness (really only a day or 2) and very little pins and needles.
    I have had more pain in my back but that is because the surgeon had to fix my scoliosis as well so my whole posture and sense of balance has changed.

So stick with it and remember that it is early days still. The best is yet to come. :H

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Oh yes I agree, the nerve pain is weird...all the different sensations, numbness, "funny bone" kinda sensations, electric shocks and the deepest nagging pains in the world.

I'd be amused to watch my facial expressions - i'll bet they are apicture.

Ah well, its going to take a while. When i sit for any time, both my legs go numb. weird. @)
  • Since my redo of microd, I was symptom free for 10 days, didn't need any pain med (although I kept on 600mg ibup. x3 per day). Then I stood too long at a party, and since then (1 week now) I have persistent tingling leading to numbness again if I stand or sit for more than 5 minutes.

So is this normal, and will go away eventually, or is it a sign that I did not have a successful surgery since I am now 2 and 1/2 weeks post surgery and thought I would be able to up and around more by now.

I don't know whether I should do less, (i.e. not sit or stand much at all), or just more or less ignore the tingling and increase my activity slowly.

Anyone have thoughts or similar problem?

Thanks,
    Ellen
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.