My mothers friend sent this too me PLEASE READ THIS !!!!!
Su bject: Phenylpropanolamine - THIS IS SERIOUS - please read !! &nb sp;
I received this information from a friend whose mother recently passed away."NO MY MOM DID NOT PASS AWAY THIS WAS SENT TOO ME BY ONE OF MY MOTHERS FRIENDS.....SHE IS A RN".
Apparently, this was caused by a medication that is deadly. Here are the details, and I suggest you pass it on to your loved ones and others.
Subject: Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)
I would like to thank those of you who expressed condolences on the recent passing of my mother. She suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while she was driving home from my house on July 30th and passed away on August 3rd. My mother's stroke and passing was an enormous shock to my family, because she did not have any symptoms or risk factors for a stroke. Just the week before she had gone to her doctor for a check up and received a clean bill of health.
She did, however, develop a cold while she was visiting me and had taken Alka Seltzer Cold Plus for 3 days. Since her passing, we have learned that Alka Seltzer is one of the many cold medicines that contains Phenylpropanolamine (PPA), which can cause hemorrhagic stokes or cerebral bleeding, even with the first use. I am forwarding a list of other medications that currently use PPA.. These medicines are supposedly being recalled but my mother just purchased this medication less than two weeks ago. Pharmaceutical companies have known about this danger for years, we unfortunately, did not.
I urge you to review the list of medicines with PPA and avoid these medications. All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are dangerous. You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire about a REFUND. Please read this CAREFULLY. Also, please pass this on to everyone you know. STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient.
It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain) among women ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use of the medication. Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative medicine.
The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine :-
1. Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant
2. Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements
3 Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
4. Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
5. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (Cherry or Orange )
6. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
7. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent
8. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine
9. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent
10. Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine
11. BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
12. BC Sinus Cold Powder
13. Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief
14. Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
15. Contac 12 Hour Caplets
16. Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus
17. Dexatrim Caffeine Free=2 0
18. Dexatrim Extended Duration
19. Dexatrim Gelcaps
20. Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
21. Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets
22. Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels
23. Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir
24. Dimetapp Elixir
25. Dimetapp 4-Hour Liquid Gels
26. Dimetapp 4-Hour Tablets
27. Dimetapp 12-Hour Extentabs Tablets
28. Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
29. Permathene Mega-16
30. Robitussin CF
31. Tavist-D 12-Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal Congestion
32. Triaminic DM Cough Relief
33. Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head
34. Triaminic Sy rup Co ld & ; Amp; Amp Allergy
35. Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough
I just found out and called the 800# on the container for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children:
1 Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)
2. 3D Cold & Cough Berry
3. 3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant
They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a refund. If you know of anyone else with small childr en, PLEASE PASS THIS ON. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!
DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are informed. They can then pass it along to their families.
To confirm these findings, please take time to check the following: http://www.fda
. gov/cder/ drug/infopage/ ppa/