Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Saw NS today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi saw NS today(female standing in for my actual surgeon to help move waiting list along.)she identified that the Disc at C5/6 is bulging quite badly in addition to the osteophyt at the same level. She feels I require surgery to remove these and will replace the dic with a cage.

She informs that it will release the nerve pinching and help the more sever pain and pressure on the spinal cord.

She is clear however that I will still be in pain due to the spondilosis throughout my cervical spine. On examination she identified muscle weakness and numb areas on left arm which she advises will also be permanent.

They will take me inot hospital the day before surgery to have further tests, Xrays etc as they want to ensure my neck is stable, if not will also use plate etc. I will also be ket in at least 3/4 days post op.

She did not seem interested in my sciatica though did find numb areas on my right leg.

Waiting list is some 2 months, good old NHS at it's best. I will take any cancellations which come up. Oh lord I never though I would pray to have someone cut my throat!! :T


  • Oh- I wish you much luck with everything.
    your last sentence is exactly how I feel. Patsy
  • Many thanks for responding.
  • advertisement
  • so do they know what kind of surgery for sure yet? Will you have ACDF and will it just be at that one level? Wow, they want you to admit day before surgery then stay 3-4 days? Gosch, I can't wait until Monday for my NS appt.
  • Yes it will be just the one level, I hope! I had my MRI and x-rays done at my local hospital, therefore I have to go in the day before so NS can have own staff complete tests.

    Over here (UK) the surgeon dictates how long you stay in, we have the National Health Service, though some folks pay private insurance in addition to this if they want to. If you go private there do not tend to be any waiting lists.

    Hope you get on well with your NS appointment.
Sign In or Register to comment.