Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please post surgery patients be very careful ;) UPDATE

advertisement

Comments

• Lakeside,
    I copied and pasted and emailed your post to my husband. I cried today I hurt so bad. and just last week I was so overjoyed I was feeling so great. today's PT SUCKED. too much pain for sure. so... I'm glad it's not me NOT healing, but rather, that it IS a slow process and I AM on the road to recovery. thank you for reminding me. I sent it on to him cuz this is all new for him, too. he thought maybe I should call my NS today. I told him I thought this was probably just a bad day. I probably overdid it or something. so... just wanted to calm his fears. anyway... thanks for your post!!!
  • Really helpful being reminded that healing/fusing is the priority - or as a friend of mine says "Recovery is your full-time job!" - and you can't afford to lose that job.

These reminders are so critical - I need to put them on my walls!

Thank you!
  • advertisement
  • My surgeon says he is going to try to go in my left side. My last surgeon went in the front, the back, and each side for bone grafts. Has anyone had just the side surgery? Sounds nice to me for recovery compared to last time where no matter how I lied, I was on an incision.

Jan
  • Just 48 hours until my 1st op, so am checking the site to ensure I've taken everything on board.

Not doing stuff will be the hardest but I've started my knitting, got loads of books, sis brought round audio books, my laptop is wireless, we've had digital tv installed.... oh I bought 2 grabbers and waiting for the new featherbed mattress topper to arrive. So I think I'm ok and prepped - but I bet there is still loads I've forgotten.

Off to get a few food stuffs in for hubby and 15yr daughter while I'm in hosp for 10 days, and my parents will be here to help when I get home - so cleaning won't be an issue as mum loves that and ironing!

Thanks to all for the information that allowed me to be so organised - and REST REST REST until I get back. I want to hear that you're all doing great by then xxx
  • Hi G! Glad my post helped...just keep resting & waiting...it does get better. And yes, your recovery IS a full-time job...and what a job it is~!

You'll have those good days/bad days/in-between days over 7 over---think in terms of weeks/months, not days. I found that very helpful. Each month found me a bit stronger & feeling a tad better....it's so slow, you often don't notice the progress or improvement, so if you can occupy yourself w/ something distracting, that helps too.

I read "War & Peace"! Really! 1,287 pages! (After I could concentrate, as at first, your mind is as shot as your body.)

And Snoopy, good luck! We'll be rooting for you! A 3-level w/ disc stuff...man oh man, you are Super Person for sure!

Beauiful day here today...may we all enjoy it however we can!

~Lakeside
  • advertisement
  • Snoopy - Good luck.
    Learn from those before you and pace yourself.

That I believe is the hardest challenge we all face. The pain is nasty but won't break you. The frustrations of 2 steps forward and one back and giving in to the long recovery will irritate you more.

God Luck and post up as soon as you are able! >:D<
  • Don't forget to be pro-active with the BM issue! Make sure you have stool softeners, prunes, prune juice...you get the picture. If you take pain meds, you will most likely have a problem with this, so be prepared!
  • I need to say also to listen to your recommendations for wearing your brace!

I was told walking to the bathroom without the TSLO was OK. Today I needed to go to the basement due to an oil burner problem. Smoke, odor and alarms going off! I wasnt going to put it on so I could get there quickly, but then decided to take the time to put it on anyway.

I fell down the last 5 steps, hit a block wall and a large piece of tempered glass. I ended up bruising lots of things on my body and have a few small cuts. Xrays show all of my hardware is still in place and nothing is broken, although the ER doctor is recommending an MRI of the spine and hip just to make sure on Monday.

My point being, if I didnt put my brace on, I would likely be in worse shape right now due to the way I fell.

Shell
  • Just wanted to read this post and try to make it a habit to post rather than view and click off of it after reading. You guys are so great Terri You have a great attitude I have read some of your posts. I sure hope that pain level goes down. It's funny how we all know so much and do not apply it to us. I did this many times with my surgery X ??? I wish you and all the others here comfort. Blessing to you all >:D<
  • Thanks Terri for this wonderful tip!!! I can't believe all you wrote, it's great!!
    I am one who does over do it a lot, and I am hoping that I won't and will listen to my body. I am just so darn stubborn and my hubby hates that! I must say that my kids are being wonderful in helping me out and telling me I shouldn't do this and that. They will do it all for me! My 7 year old daughter has even put myu socks on, brushed my hair and is reading stories to me so I will sleep at night! Can you believe that?? She has been even watchi >:D< >:D< ng DVD's with me on my laptop cause I can't quite sit in my recliner in the livingroom, but she wants to spend every minute with me. She even asks me if I don't mind when she wants to go outside and play with her friends. She is just soooo sweet!
    My son who is 10, had a baseball game today and she even made him his sandwhiches so I didn't have to. (my hubby was in the shower, he forgot what time it was)
    I can't even go to the bathroom without someone asking me where I am going! It's kinda funny!
    There is just sooo much that I want to do, but try not to. I know that even doing some of the dishes will be a bad thing. I know what it's like to hurt the next day after doing things the day before. It's hard when your body is having a good day not to try things, but you really shouldn't.

Well, I just wanted to say "Thanks" Terri!!

Hugs!! >:D< >:D< >:D<

Kim
advertisement