Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please post surgery patients be very careful ;) UPDATE

Comments

• 97 degrees in California today!

Ellen
  • hi there hun :H
    sorry your hurtin a little (well alot really) im feelin it for ya on the other side of the world hunny >:D< >:D< >:D< you are soooo brave!!!
    i think this is a very important thread for everyone to read and hey you are sooo right terri! spot on!
    im back to bellydancing now - it does hurt a little but i can cope - ill probably pay for it tomorrow - but ive just loaded up on some pain killers - just in case and for a good nights sleep - last night my leg kept jumping around all night and waking me up!!! how dare they mis behave like that - after all its been just over a year now since my second op to get the screw off my nerve!!! i dont think its going to get better.
    take care for now hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    AJ x
  • advertisement
  • I found out this afternoon that they are trying to move my surgery to this Wed. instead of a week from then. I have been madly trying to get things done around here, and calling doctors to make sure they sent the reports they were supposed to. I will be glad to get it done, and I really want it, but I am still nervous :SS. I will really, really try not to over do it this time, I promise Terri! 8> Please pray for me, and I will try to be on my computer if they have wireless, but I don't promise to make any sense! =))

Love,

Jan
  • Hi everyone. I am new to this site, I am hoping to meet others that are going through or have gone through the same problems as myself. Thursday morning 10/9/08 I had my 3rd back surgery. L4 L5 Discectomy, laminectomcy, facet fusion. I came home yesterday and have been in contant pain since. I don't recall being in this much pain the other times. My first surgery was just a laminectomy 3 years ago. My second which was January this year only 9 months ago was revision, hemilaminectomy,foraminotomy, and bone spur with fusion. I was up moving well and completely off of pain medication in a week. Now it seems none of the pain medicine is phasing me. and I am on strong painkillers Dilaudid, Talwin, Lortab, soma......alternating the pain killers. My back hurt for a couple weeks and then i lost use of my right leg due to nerve root impingement from ruptured disc. Is the discectomy what is causing this terrible post surgery pain? By the way, leg pain is completely gone. How long will this pain last? Thank you for any replies.
  • Hi Melanie, welcome to SH! You have found a great site full of information and support. While we are not medical professionals, we do have our own experiences to share.

Wow, only one day in the hospial for a fusion? Did you have a minimally invasive procedure. I would say the typical fusion patient has severe pain for about 2 weeks, and then moderate pain for weeks to months. As my surgeon said, you will regret it for 2 weeks, then you will start to feel better.

Your prior experience was probably not typical, as fusion surgery is a very long painful recovery usually. Do you have hardware? I am not familiar with just facet fusion, so maybe you can explain how this was performed.

Also it does seem that revision surgery often is more involved and more painful from the posts of people here on SH. Keep reading in the surgery forum as there are lots of fusion patients posting here, like me ;)

Well you are so very early out of surgery. It is time to rest and heal. Follow your doctors instructions and if you get new symptoms let him know. Walking is great, but take it easy as well as overdoing it will result in increased pain. Generally at this stage one just lays in bed and takes short walks, boring but necessary (a laptop helps :) ). Good-luck to you, and keep posting to let us know how you are doing. You can even start your own topic if you want so you get more input. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • advertisement
  • Sorry, it got sent twice!

Love,

Jan
  • Ouch, I hurt for you. They sure did let you out of the hospital soon. My doctor is talking about sending me right from the hospital to a rehab hospital, which I don't want to do. It reminds me of a nursing home. Has anyone ever had a good experience there? I have had one back surgery, and one neck surgery, which has both failed. I had my back surgery 2 years ago and really only had one good month where I wasn't in constant pain. I have never been able to go off the pain pills, which I hate. I won't drive while taking them so it has really limited my life. I think that you normally would be in a lot of pain at this time, but it should be manageable. You need to get a hold of your doctor and ask what could be done. If you don't get a good answer, call another doctor and ask for a second opinion. I am having a different surgeon this time. I hope you have a lot of help and aren't doing anything other than a small amount of walking. I'm glad your leg pain went away at least. Best of luck to you and keep us posted, please!

Jan
  • thank all of you. It is great to have a place where so many people have experienced the same type problems and can share their experiences with each other. It helps alot. I do have a lot of help thankfully. I have 2 teenage daughters and my parents live close to me. My mom helps me so much. She helped me get a shower today. I used my bath seat and a hair cutting cape on backwards..LOL. to keep my dressing dry. We seem to come up with things to keep clean. I felt a little better after the shower. I read here constantly and some of the tips that I have come across are great. again, thanks everyone, you are all in my prayers.
  • Just one more:

No scrunching down this year for Trick-or-Treaters!
  • Yas girl I cannot believe you remembered that!!! ROFLMAO!!!!
    Oh girlfriend my plans are to go to a BAR and sit on a STOOL in a costume and DRINK 8} 8} =)) =)) =))
    I HAVE MISSED UUUUU How are u doing???
    xoxoxoxoxox

Ok mabye I won't make it as my sitting is not as good as last year but I do have a couple more weeks.

Since posting this I am doing better. BUT I am staying away from ALL HOUSEWORK. My legs still do not work. My GF wondered about neuropathy?? Hey possible then another guy I know mentioned from sitting around for as many months as I have there could be some calcification starting on my bones?? HMMMM interesting at that :O :? :? :? :?

You guys all keep up the good work. Keep up with your drs orders. Take your meds on time. You will have odd and end pains here and there and your going to say HUH WHAT WAS THAT! :O
    If its serious yes call the Drs thats what they are there for.

Love to all
    xoxoxoxoxox
advertisement