Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Update on Cervical Surgery

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:H Hi everyone!

I got a call from my surgeons office this afternoon. My insurance approved a closed MRI. I am going in this coming Tuesday to the Hospital for a Closed MRI. Then my next appt.with my neuro surgeon is the 1st week of Nov. Sheesh! Do appts with these specialists usually get projected out that far or farther? LOL.

I was thinking, 'Geeze! Gotta be half paralyzed before they speed up the pre surgery diagnostic process'.

Ken GreyEagle


  • Ive been at this since June, it was September before I knew what exactly was going on and what my options were, and Ive chosen to put off ACDF for as long as I can/ or my surgeon lets me LOL... Good luck to you and to all of us, its a long road no matter what we choose or have to do!
  • I have been on the production line towards surgery since December 07, have not seen NS, on the waiting list for surgery, some two months unless I get a cancellation.
  • advertisement
  • for the update Ken....please continue to keep us posted....take care...Miki
  • Should read have now seen NS :P
  • good luck with the MRI, I can relate to what you are saying,
    let us know whats going on, thinking bout ya, Patsy
  • advertisement
  • Great you got a MRI scheduled.
    Stinks you have to wait so long between times.
    I found the with NS's offices takes forever they are so booked.
    Thats why PERSONALLY ONLY I lean towards the orthopedics but that is just me. LOL Alot of the NS's are to far away from my house..

    Take care
    GOOD LUCK!! It will be here before you know it..
    Terri >:D<
  • Hi Ken,
    I think you are correct, the whole process just takes forever. I started down the road toward surgery in March and actually had surgery in Sept. Considering the fact that my fingers were numb and painful and I had radiating pain in my right hand/arm/shoulder it seems like a long time to wait. Now I am waiting to see what is going to improve and what will be permanent with my hands with still have some numbness.

    Good luck to you with the MRI and the whole process,
  • Yeah, makes one wonder. I have been having the numbness in my thumb and two fingers next to it on both hands now. Originally, severe pain in my left arm...now right arm is starting to do it...doesn't get better, does it? LOL.

    At least my Employer keeps a person on the payroll a whole 12 months before they let them go. The policy is if a person is out 12 months without working at all during that 12 months they are released. Seems reasonable to me. I've been out only 3 months so far.

    I just hope I have the surgery before the end of the year. We'll see.

    Thanks everyone for your comments! Hugs to all!

  • it seems our system works like that now. I'm just going in for a consult and I booked it over a month ago.
  • I saw my Spine Doctor today. He is going to phase me off the Hydrocodone and increase me to morphine 3x a day instead of 2x a day. He says otherwise it becomes more difficult for the surgical team to control my pain post-surgery plus it could create a problem with my breathing.

    I am going for a Closed MRI tomorrow as the surgeon said the Open MRI films were not clear enough on some of the films. Then I see my surgeon on Nov 4th. On that date I should get the details on exactly what surgery he is going to do.

    When I saw him a week ago he did say he is going to do surgery on the C5-C6 level. It wasn't clear if he is doing the full discectomy/fusion with plates and screws. He talked about sometimes they trim around the outside of the disc to clear the space where the nerve is being impinged on but leave the disc there.

    I don't know. The original MRI showed problems to varying degrees C3 thru C7. My Spine doctor had said she thought they'd do acdf thru all those levels.

    Well, we'll see on Nov 4th it looks like. Oh,the waiting! LOL! Gets on ones nerves,don't it? :W

    Ken GreyEagle
Sign In or Register to comment.