Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Another Surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I arrived in Hawaii almost 6 weeks ago, moving here to be with my daughter and son-in-law. I had my first drs appt with my new primary care physician on September 11. After going over everything with her, including the MRSA that I contracted almost a year ago when I had my last back surgery and the fact that I haven't been able to get rid of the infection, and my back history, she got right on the job and has gotten me into see a neurosurgeon and an infectious disease doctor already. I am impressed because I know it can take several weeks just to get an appointment with specialists and sometime even a couple of months so the fact that I had one appointment within 2 weeks and the next appointment within 3 weeks of my first visit to her was quite impressive. After reviewing my medical records from my infectious disease doctor back in Dallas, and reviewing my medical records from my spine surgeon, my infectious disease doctor here said that we need to get my hardware out. He concurs with my other infectious disease doc that the hardware is probably contaminated and should really have been removed when the MRSA was first diagnosed 10 days post op. Especially since the medical records from my surgeon included a copy of the MRI report that showed abscesses on both sides of my new hardware and the radiologist said it looked like there was possibly infection all around the hardware judging from the pockets that showed up around it. So, he is setting up my appointment with a surgeon so that we can discuss the possibility and risks involved with having my hardware removed. If for some reason the hardware can't come out, then I will just have to continue to live on antibiotics and hope that the MRSA doesn't become resistant to these specific antibiotics very quickly or that my liver doesn't decide to go haywire. As long as my liver holds out, and the MRSA doesn't develop a resistance to the antibiotics, I can live on them for a long time. But the problem remains that if the hardware is contaminated, I will never completely get rid of the MRSA and will have to remain on antibiotics to try to keep the infection in check. So, even though I don't really look forward to another surgery, I really want to get this hardware out so that I can actually recover from the MRSA.

I'm not sure what to expect with the hardware removal as far as my spine is concerned. I don't know if I'll have more limited mobility, or increased pain or what but I really need to get rid of the MRSA before it gets rid of me.


  • I am glad to hear that you made it to Hawaii! I pray that you will get the answers and the healing that you need sooner than later. You are so strong and I know that no matter what you are ok!

    One Love,

Sign In or Register to comment.