Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Workin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have read alot of posts here. Is there anyone who is currently working after their surgery. No one has really talked about going back to work or working period.

Any one want to share their expierences going back to work after surgery. Good bad or Ugly! :))(

My job consists of being on the phone and typing for 8-10 hours a day. I figure when I go back to work which will be within the week after surgery is performed. I will set up my desk where the phone and keyboard are within reach so I don't have to stretch or turn alot, make it easy for me. You never realize how much & how quickly you turn your head!
advertisement

Comments

• What type of surgery are you having done?
  • Possible 2 level ACDF. Will know more October 30th.
  • advertisement
  • In my case, after my first 2 level acdf, the doctors did not even want to discuss going back to my job ( I am a master plumber) the first three months after my surgery. I did have other things going on that needed to be taken care of. I wish you well on getting back to work within a week of your surgery, I am not a doctor but that seems rather quick after a 2 level acdf. I had trouble sitting up for more than 2 to 3 hours at a time the first few weeks. Again good luck with your surgery and recovery.

mark
  • I know everyone is different but my positive attitude will get me back to work in good time. Beside that I can't afford to be off too long.
    I am sure all will be great. I always keep a Positive outlook on everything that I do. I just can't wait to get all this behind me and be pain free!

Thanks again!
  • I too question your plan to return to work in a week. Even with a positive attitude. Your body is going to need more time to heal itself. Have you talked to your surgeon about this? I would doubt if he will give yu a release to go back that soon. and 8 hours is entirely unreasonable, IMHO. Unless you are Superwoman? :))(

I had a single level C5-6 disc removal and fusion, and returned to work in a month. It was very taxing for me. I think it was too soon, but I too thought I couldn't afford more time off. I also have a sitting job. Please reconsider this seriously.
  • advertisement
  • While a positive attitude is a must it can't heal your body in a week. Please talk this over with your surgeon before commiting yourself to it. Too much activity will be detrimental to the healing process and will actually cause harm.

Even if your pain levels are okay there is a lot of fusion that needs to take place. Growing that much new bone takes a lot out of your body and it needs more rest than you can imagine! Beware: You will have a "honeymoon" period in which you feel terrific. Durng this period you may feel that you can do all the things that you did before surgery. Don't let it fool you! Your surgeon will give you a list of restrictions and timelines and you absolutely MUST follow them in order to heal properly!

I hope that you take what we say to heart. We've all been there, done that, some of us more than once. All we want is to see everyone heal.

Let us know how you're doing,

Griff
  • My surgeon is the one that told me I could go back the following Monday after surgery on Wednesday. All goes well I will be back to work I guarantee it!
  • I have had my fair share of surgeries - surgeries more intense than this. This is a walk in the park!I have came out with flying colors and I have absolutely no doubt that I will with this as well. Nothing will make me think differently. I have a very close open and honest relationship with my surgeon. I don't allow any negativity in my life. All negatives are turned into positives Always!
  • ..YOU GO GIRL!!!! =D> :D
  • You know it!!! Can't keep me down!!! :))( :P
advertisement