Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Workin

Comments

• Just had to add this, for a positive attitude, I am just happy that I am alive and can move and healing wonderfully.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,578
    topic to go threw. At first, I applauded another positive outlook when it comes to surgery and pain. I am a firm believer that having that attitude is just one of ways you will get through tougher times.

But then I started to read other posts providing you additional insight to surgeries, not to expect to be a superwoman and don't allow positive attitude to delude you into something that might not physically be possible.

What I would have expected is that you received those posts and were glad that people here offered support in your effort. Instead you turned on people and made their positive posts into negative. The members that posted were only looking out for you and were expressing what reality has been for them and for others that have had spinal surgery. No person is above what is reality. The mind is very powerful, but there are somethings, that even the best can't overcome.

I have been in the work force for over 35 years and have had experiences that go far beyond that
    Remember in the job force, there is no one individual who is indispensable. A company existed before you were with them and I am sure they will continue to exist after you choose to leave.

I wish you all the luck with your surgery and hope that your recovery time is as amazingly fast as you indicated.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • US experts say they have strong scientific proof that mind over matter works for relieving pain.
    Positive thinking was as powerful as a shot of morphine for relieving pain and reduced activity in parts of the brain that process pain information.

The Wake Forest University researchers say their findings show that by merely expecting pain to be less it will be less.

Their work is published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Positive thinking

Dr Robert Coghill and his team studied 10 normal, healthy volunteers who had a heat simulator applied to their legs while their brains were being scanned using functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

The heat simulator was used to produce pain and fMRI was used to map brain activity.

The brain can powerfully shape pain
    Researcher Dr Robert Coghill

Before subjects underwent brain imaging, they learned to expect mild, moderate, or severe painful heat stimuli following different signals. None of the stimuli were hot enough to cause burns or damage the skin.

During brain imaging, a small percentage of the severe stimuli were incorrectly signalled as moderate stimuli to create expectations of decreased pain.

All 10 volunteers reported less pain when they expected lower levels of pain.

These expectations reduced reports of pain by more than 28% - similar to an analgesic dose of the potent painkiller morphine.

At the same time, activity in areas of the brain important to both sensory and emotional processing of pain decreased. These areas included the primary somatosensory cortex, the insular cortex and the anterior cingulate cortex.

More than just pills

Dr Coghill explained: "Pain is not solely the result of signals coming from an injured body region.

"Pain needs to be treated with more than just pills. The brain can powerfully shape pain, and we need to exploit its power."

He said the findings underscored the potential of cognitive therapy for the treatment of pain.

This study goes some way to explaining the positive impact of these psychological techniques in chronic pain states
    Dr Beverly Collette, president of the British Pain Society

Dr Ed Keogh, a psychologist and pain researcher from the University of Bath, said: "For some time now we have known that psychological factors such as expectations play a role in the perception and experience of pain.

"This work is intriguing as it aims to identify specific brain regions linked to both the pain experience and expectations associated with pain.

"By empirically demonstrating such links, such research adds weight to the notion that how we think can effect what we feel. This is turn may have important implications for the way in which we prepare people for potentially painful events such as going to the dentist, childbirth or an operation."

Dr Beverly Collette, president of the British Pain Society, said: "Most people who work in pain clinics use cognitive therapy to help people manage their pain better.

"This study goes some way to explaining the positive impact of these psychological techniques in chronic pain states. "

• I am optimistic and confident in all that I do. I affirm only the best for myself and others. I am the creator of my life and my world. I meet daily challenges gracefully and with complete confidence. I fill my mind with positive, nurturing, and healing thoughts.
  • advertisement
  • If you are as you say
    demurevenus said:
    I am optimistic and confident in all that I do. I affirm only the best for myself and others. I am the creator of my life and my world. I meet daily challenges gracefully and with complete confidence. I fill my mind with positive, nurturing, and healing thoughts.
    Then why is it you came to Spine Health?

"C"
  • I understand where you are coming from. I think everyone's point was to be careful post-op and not re-injure yourself. We have all seen members who got to feeling better, and naturally assumed they were better, who did too much and re-injured themselves. We don't want this to happen to you or anyone else.
  • Question, If you are so positive then why are you having surgery? You should not have any pain if it does not exist in your world and there for do not need surgery like the rest of us had to have. I still want to come work with you since your company will make adjustments for me. I must also add that you have started a very exciting post. Remember we are not here to judge you nor should you judge us if we are in pain. Pain is real it tells your body when enough is enough.
  • I also wish you the best of luck in your surgery. I would not wish nothing but for anyone.

POSITIVE THINKING: Well we all go into surgery with positive thoughts. We come home with positive thoughts in recovery.
    We all come home with positive thoughts of getting back to our "normal lifes"
    We all come home thinking postive that our pain levels are not going to take over us.

WELL GUESS WHAT?? Sometimes that is not always the case. You can sometimes be the most POSITVIE person in the world.
    When it comes to spinal surgery or any other surgery for that fact we/you do not know what is going to happen during or after.

After I have gone through 3 spinal surgeries YES the other surgeries I have had were a walk in the park it seems like.
    Spinal not so much. It is MAJOR.
    Yes there are those that bounce back very quicky. And it all does not have to do with "postive thinking" it has to do with the surgeon, the patient, the patients history and the way they follow restrictions and rules.

You may be able to go to work, you may not be able to.
    This process of mind over matter may work for you. But it will not work for everyone.
    No lie spinal surgery is painful. There are so many things that can happen afterwards to re injure yourself.

So bascially that is what everyone is saying.
    They were giving their views of what recovery is like and the things that can happen during.

May I ask. What surgeries have you had??
    What is the issue with your neck that you need a ACDF?
    How long have you suffered with pain before seeking a surgical consult?
    What caused your orginal injury??

I wish you the best of luck and for your sake I hope you are back to work in a week.
    That is rare and there are very few, far and between that can do so.
    And if you are your still going to have restrictions to follow to not re injure yourself ;)

• I can share my positive thinking!
advertisement