Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MRI results, can you explain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all,

New here but definitely not new to back pain, lol. I've been serving in the military for 11+ years and have had back pain/back injuries for about 8 of them. I'm sure most of you know that the typical military answer to an injury is drink water and walk it off. I've done so for years and after a recent episode of muscle spasms in my upper back, a military doctor finally took the time and looked into my back pain...this is the result of my MRI...

IMPRESSION: Multilevel moderate-to-severe disk protrusions that results in mass effect upon the right and left nerve roots, as described below.

C1-C2 UNREMARKABLE

C2-C3 UNREMARKABLE

C3-C4 Moderate sized broad based right paracentral disk protrusion that results in mild to moderate narrowing of the central spinal canal, right lateral recess and right neural foramina. There is mild mass effect upon the right exiting nerve root.

C4-C5 Moderate sized broad based right paracentral disk protrusion that results in mild to moderate narrowing of the central spinal canal, right lateral recess and right neural foramina. There is mild mass effect upon the right exiting nerve root.

C5-C6 Large broad based left paracentral disk protrusion that results in moderate to severe severe narrowing of the left lateral recess and moderate to severe mass effect upon the left exiting nerve root.

C6-C7 UNREMARKABLE

C7-C8 UNREMARKABLE

IMPRESSION: Mild-to-moderate sized disk protrustions with mild mass effect upon the right exiting nerve roots at T6-T7 and T8 levels.

C7-T1 UNREMARKABLE

T1-T2 UNREMARKABLE

T2-T3 UNREMARKABLE

T3-T4 UNREMARKABLE

T4-T5 UNREMARKABLE

T5-T6 UNREMARKABLE

T6-T7 Mild to moderate sized right paracentral disk protrusions that results in mild to moderate narrowing of the right lateral recess and neural foramina. There is mild mass-effect upon the right exiting nerve root within the right lateral recess.

T7-T8 Mild to moderate sized right paracentral disk protrusions that results in mild to moderate narrowing of the right lateral recess and neural foramina. There is mild mass-effect upon the right exiting nerve root within the right lateral recess.

T8-T9 Mild to moderate sized posterior central disk protrusion that abuts the ventral surface of the spinal cord. there is no mass effect upon the bilateral exiting nerve roots.

T9-T10 UNREMARKABLE

T10-T11 UNREMARKABLE

blah blah blah

That is the meat and potatoes of the MRI report...Can anyone help me and tell me what the hell it means? Thanks in advance.

SGT Andrus
US Army
advertisement

Comments

• Means you got some serious budlging disks and herniations my friend... :( and several other things. Several of your disks are protruding onto your spinal cords as well. Talk to a doctor. Have an appt. yet?
  • Yes, I have an appointment with a local Neural Surgeon next monday to determine if I need any surgery and also to determine if I am deploying in December. As it stands right now, the military doctor said I am not allowed to wear any gear (bulletproof vest, helmet, etc). The civillian doctor will have the last say and the process gets started with his suggestion.

All I know about my situation is the military doctor looked concerned and scheduled me to see this neural surgeon. The extent of what the MRI says is over my head, I just blow stuff up and yell typical Army terminology, haha.
  • advertisement
  • araine is right also one of the "several other things" is nerve involvement. So thank goodness you're seeing a neuro doc!

So I was chiming in just to mention to be cautious if they say you should deploy without treatment whatever that may be...any strenuous activity may make it worse, so a second opinion may be needed or if the military allows that you might do that anyway. It seems like that should be allowed but I'm clueless how that all works. If a fusion is recommended you should get a second opinion for sure, but that is just my humble 2 cents... ;))

Thorasic involevement and extensive involement at that is not as common and hard to herniate just for anatomic reasons...wow you must be in alot of pain!
    Good luck
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Please ALWAYS remember that any information that you receive from members here is not formal medical advice Information that is given is based on personal experiences only.
    I strongly suggest that you discuss your MRI results with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Well, sir, good luck to you. You most def have some serious and long term issues with yourself. I would get as many opinions as possible, and try to take it easy, at least easy for the Army. Oh, and may I chime in off the note, thank you sir for serving our country and fighting for our freedom and rights as US citizens. :)
  • advertisement
  • I get to pick up a CD with the images from the MRI to give to the NS that I have an appointment with next week. I'm kinda anxious to see what these protrusions look like. I'll post up some images when I get them tomorrow. Thanks all for the help and support. Wish my back would magically fix itself but I think the MRI results aren't in favor of that, haha. #o
  • I also wish that your back would magically fix itself,but we know better than that so I hope that you get proper care that you deserve.

Yellow ribbons in your honor and a big Thank You for your service to our country... :H
  • http://www.resizr.com/resized/5804.jpg

http://www.resizr.com/resized/e93a1.jpg

Didn't know exactly what to show but these seemed odd. Any ideas?

SGT Andrus
  • ignore...
advertisement